VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I crazy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Am I crazy? Reply with quote

Am I crazy saying no to this?

An On Hold Company contacts me and says they want to include me on their roster to provide MP3 dry reads on 24 hour turn around.

Their talent records up to 8 paragraphs of 100 words per job.

When I call up, I asked what level of production they want - and it's not dry voice, it's edited for breaths, clean and ready to drop into a sound track.

Price per job they are offering? $15!
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Am I crazy? Reply with quote

Spacegypsy wrote:
Am I crazy saying no to this?

Price per job they are offering? $15!

Ahhh let me think about this one for... a... NOPE!!

$15 for on-hold is highway robbery in my mind! That barely pays for the electricty to turn on your mic, never mind for your time.

Being that I'm newer to the business than many of the rest on the board, I could be out to lunch on this, but the only way I would even consider a gig like that would be if it came with guaranteed minimums and a whole tonne of promise for future work, even then I'd try to negotiate a higher rate.

My $0.02 worth.

Cheers
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run for your life.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not crazy. They are.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one paragraph = 1 job and you're asked to record 8 at a time the session fee is $120 so the offer is not unreasonable. If 8 paragraphs = 1 job and that pays $15 then a thanks but no thanks would suffice.

100 words for an on-hold seems rather a lot to me. The rate in the UK equates to around $7.50 per on-hold message but a voice over would never be asked to do just one.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: 8 paras is 1 job Reply with quote

Hi Banksey, the client expects 8 paras for $15, edited and ready to go.
Eek!

I did tell 'em no thanks.
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned and operated an on hold marketing business for over 15 years and have served hundreds of business clients in almost all 50 states. If any of you have read Jay Conrad Levinson's "Guerilla Marketing" books, my toll free number is the one he gives out in print, and also during his speaking engagements. So I know a little something about this topic from every conceivable side of it.

The competition is extremely tight in this market and profit margins are slim. The only way to eek out a living is through volume and long term relationships based on licensing agreements. But these days, even that is tough to accomplish. The producers cannot get away with charging very much for this service and must also absorb the music licensing, equipment, freight, marketing and production costs. When I first started On-Hold Marketing Systems in early 1989, not many were doing it and very few were doing it well. It was easy to get started. However, in the last 5 years, I've maybe added 3-4 new clients, because there is a certain threshhold I simply won't go below. It simply doesn't pencil out.

No one should expect to make very much for an occasional on hold session. That said, $15 for ANY VO is really a sleazy offer. Each of my scripts is roughly 6-8 paragraphs and around 750 words. Most of my clients prefer my voice, but there have been occasions when a male voice is not appropriate and I have had to subcontract out for female talent. I typically charge the client an additional $150 session fee, keeping $50 for my additional production time and passing the other $100 directly to the female talent. This seems to have worked out pretty good.

In my 16 years of doing this, the least I've ever offered was $50 for two or three paragraphs. And NO editing on the part of the talent, regardless of what was paid.

Last edited by Jeff McNeal on Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for confirming what I felt - ie: that this was beyond a poor offer. More along the lines of an insult really, since they contacted me in the first place.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt about it, Kat. It's an insult.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect you'll get a reply to your refusal.

"Dear Voice talent

You have misunderstood the nature of our offer. If you would like to be added to our roster we will make an exception in your case and accept $12.50 as you are unable to pay us the full $15 per job.

Trust this meets with your approval

Sincerely

Ron Hopeful
Head of Optimism
"
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one! :lol:
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Banksey...you slay me.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so funny - I met a documentary producer once and we exchanged business cards. His assistant then contacted me and told me I could pay them $50 for the privilege of joining a list of narrators they just might use one day! It boggles the mind. :shock:
BBeen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That specific job looks REAL familiar. Same details, type of job everything. I bid a total of 250 dollars for the project...no wonder I never heard back. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: