VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok, I'll try not to be dull ....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Ok, I'll try not to be dull .... Reply with quote

It had to be done, a getting to know you time in the pub, specifically The Lobsterman’s Crabs.

“A’richt big man hoo d’ye say, fit’s yer quiney cried?” asked Callum.

“Easy! What’s your daughter’s name? Go on try another” I said to the twenty or so gathered around the bar. There was much whispering and nudging.

“Tell ye fit. Dae a wee piecie lik the lad on the telly. Him fit maks ye ken fits on next” Jeannie looked at Jill and winked then looked at me in anticipation, there was a hush.

The last time I had done anything for the BBC was an on air promotion - or for those who don’t know the jargon a trailer - for Casualty a hospital drama if you didn’t know. I looked Jeannie straight in the eyes.

“Casualty, Saturday, 10 past eight on BBC1”. Jeannie’s mouth fell open.

“Aw f*** that is spookie! That wus jes lik it. I thought Jill wus speaking crap aboot yer work!”

Quentin our drama leader was in the group sipping a pint. It was fairly obvious he was a sweet sherry man but wouldn’t dare in public. He beckoned me over. I excused myself and went to speak to him.

“Shoo, a voish over ish it? Likely tale shonny! Word to the wishe about the shtunner Jill. You are waishting your time with that one. I pershonally myshelf tried to woo her for over shix monthsh and got nowhere! It is my conshidered opinion she shits on the other shide of the church if you get my meaning” he tapped the side of his nose in a knowing manner.

I thought I’d humour him.

“Don’t tell anyone my secret. But what do you mean about Jill and her religion?” I looked intense. He pointed to himself, did a twirl and then explained.

“A shexy, shingle woman with needsh found thish fine exshample of manhood reshishtable? In the hetero world thish doesh not happen, ergot she ish, nay musht be a leshbian!” a nod and another tap on the nose. I nodded to imply complete understanding.

“Must have happened on holiday” I said with an air of authority.

“Yesh, I shuppose sho ……Fit! I mean what?

“Went to Lesbos, met one of their church goers and converted to their religion. Thanks for sharing Quentin. Didn’t know that chastity was one of the prerequisites of fringe Greek island orthodoxy. Amazing!” I walked away from him nodding. He tried to speak but really wasn’t sure where to go from there.

I returned to the crowd in time to share some dreary showbiz anecdotes and a few more beers.

“A’body ready to play Fit’s he cried?” shouted Dougal at the top of his voice, a loud cheer rang around the pub. Great game but I now have a very sore head indeed.

The rules of this drinking game are very simple. All the players sit in a circle and drink a bottle of single malt Scotch whisky. One player gets up from the group and leaves the room and the rest have to guess who it was.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that last sentence.
It's funny.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I even undertand the last sentence!

Banksey, were you writing this immediately following your experience at the local pub (that much I understood!)

Would you mind translating it from Irish into English (watch this everyone... he'll lose his mind by being compared to an irishman!) :wink:

I think I need a drink just reading that!

Cheers, (literally)
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an Englishman in Scotland, specifically in the county of Moray. The local dialect is called Doric, so in order to communicate with most of my neighbours I am allowed to speak with an English (British) accent but am not permitted to hear with one. This is a multi-cultural board so I was trying to add to it. In America they go "owt an abowt", in Scotland they go "Oot un aboot" in England "arht and abarht" in Canada they just stay in and eat doughnuts, apparently. Vive la difference. Brian, is it true that the only reason they speak French in Quebec is to annoy the rest of the country? Doric and Gaelic was invented for much the same reason. In Gaelic, Neamh is pronounced Neeve, Sioboahn is Shivaun and presumably Efntypx is Jim.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without treading onto thin politcal ice... yup! But that's my jaded opinion as a pure-bread Western Canadian, but I'll keep my soap box in the closet, because this is neither the time nor the place.

Gotta go... the local Tim Horton's (Canadian doughnut empire) has a sale on sour glazed tim bits and dark roast coffee! Gotta stock up for the long and ominous winter months. I'd be happy to pick some up for ya EH!!!!
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awricht, I gi' up - who's Jill and fit's she tae ye?
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Gotta go... the local Tim Horton's"

Aye, there's a good lad, there's ALWAYS time for Tim Hortons!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... a good American lad living close enough to the Canadian border to recognize a good thing when he sees it... And now.... "it's steeped!" Have you seen that commercial?

Smile

How did you make out with your hardware decisions Peter?
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye lad, I can pronounce "coffee and a crueler" in Canadian better than many of the populace (of which I share a bit of heritage).

Tho truth be told the correct CDN pronunciation of coffee (especially at Timmy's) is double double.

Starting off the home studio (versus dtown) with an maudio preamp interface and Audition. Only a slight tech problem so far, which should be worked out this week.

By 10/7, maudio is projected to have a pro tools version which is within a 30 day return window of current purchases...we'll see how the wind blows. Either way I think I'll be comfy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Peter -- that M-Audio interface to which you refer wouldn't happen to be a MobilePre, would it? There's one listed on MusiciansFriend for a hot price and almost all of the customer feedbacks about it are pretty glowing. I was thinking of getting one myself, since the budget's too tight for an Mbox and PT. My starter studio is definitely going to have to be non-high-end...but for practice, demos, and auditions a "middle end" setup should be enough, shouldn't it?

Pat
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops...that was me ^^
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
Awricht, I gi' up - who's Jill and fit's she tae ye?

It should be "fah's Jill?" And this is how we met .....................

As I left the Post Office I noticed a notice on the notice board. The Portgordon Players were looking for new people to join them, all I had to do was go to the village hall at 7.30pm and make myself known to the director/writer/producer/lead actor, Quentin Carnegie.

I could be an actor, of course I could. I have an artistic temperament and I played Ophelia in the school production of Hamlet. When I met Quentin I thought it would be a good idea to keep that piece of information to myself as by the time we 3rd formers had finished with it, the look and feel was not so much based on the Shakespearean play as on the mild cigar from Benson and Hedges.

At the appointed hour I arrived at the village hall, there were some 40 odd people there. Quentin Carnegie was easy to spot as he was every inch the thespian in his cashmere sweater, cravat and wine coloured jeans. He was addressing the assembled aspiring theatricals. His voice was camp Kelvinside Scot, upper register with the Winston Churchill “lisp”.

“Sho fantashtic to she sho many new fashes amongsht ush tonight” he said with a flourish. “Our production thish shummer for the Portgordon open air arshst feshtival will be (dramatic pause) A midshummers nightsh dream penned by Shtratford’s favourite shon William Shakeshshpeare” he strutted and nodded knowingly as we all applauded, gasped and muttered approval.

Quentin got all of us to stand in a semi circle so that he could check who had returned to the Portgordon Players from last season and identify the newcomers. When he got to me he looked up and down, then took one pace back. I am 6 feet tall and probably too close to 16 stone than is healthy. Quentin is 5 feet 2 and weighs in at around six fluid ounces.

“You shir, may I have the pleasure of sheeing your Bottom thish shummer? I’m shertain it will be shoooperb!” he gushed clapping his hands together. I resisted the obvious jokes and launched into my best west country accent for a reply.

“Well, I will undertake it. What beard were I best to play it in?” I smiled, well grinned smugly to be honest. Quentin pretended to faint and have a mild heart attack then hugged me.

“Och sho schplendid, schplendid, schplendid! We will be the toasht of the arshst feshtival, I know, I can feel it in my watersh!!!” What an enthusiast, this is going to be fun I thought.

Technical roles were given to the non-thesping volunteers, parts were cast, the actors hugged and then given their scripts. For me the next bit was the most important, tea and biscuits and a chance to get to know my fellow Players.

As I sipped and dunked a small, light girlie voice came from behind me.

“Hello, I’m Jill. I can’t wait to see your Bottom.” I turned around and saw beneath a mop of dark red hair two sparkling wide emerald eyes and a very cheeky smile.

“Step outside then”

No it wasn’t original but I was thinking on my feet!
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil - I knew the answer would not be short, but that it would not be dull.

And thank-you for the correction - it's been a few hundred years since I was in the Old Country.

So, how was yr Bottom?

Mary McK'MCM
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:

So, how was yr Bottom?

Mary McK'MCM

A very good piece of work, I assure you, and a merry.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'tis a week for oddities! My 3pm session today was for Kia, a TV campaign. Give the creatives time to think, pontificate, consult, adjust and direct to the n'th degree. 3.02pm ALL DONE!!! Perhaps they were all drunk and anything would do? 10am that particular part of the USA so unlikely.

Now, what about tomorrow? I'll let you read the email I have just received and allow you to draw your own conclusions.

"Philip

2 x scripts attached, just got the green light on the 2nd.

Roddy will be with us at 10.30am, this looks like its going to be quite a strange commercial - apparently he has been down at Sunset Boulevard filming an ape/ gorilla/ monkey ten pin bowling etc so goodness knows what his instruction re voiceover style will be tomorrow!!"

I can't wait to see what Friday brings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: