VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Automated Breath Reduction or Removal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Automated Breath Reduction or Removal? Reply with quote

Is there such a thing? Aside from breathing properly, that is. I use Cool Edit Pro and it would be so nice to be able to set up a favorite that scans for breaths and either drops them -3 db or simply creates a silent space. Y'know, the same sort of thing I'm doing by hand right now.

As I said, the easiest and best way is to not be rushed during the read and breath through your mouth to your stomach -- I already know all that, but breaths have a fairly repeatable signature pattern and it seems there should be some automated way of dealing with removal/reduction from a software standpoint to speed up the editing process.

Any solutions?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being familiar with CEP/Audition/Vegas/Nuendo/ProTools/Steinberg and a few others - as yet i have to see something which will do it easily and automated...

That being sadi, if you create one you will be richer than your wildest dreams of Averess! I for one would buy it today!!!!

Frank F
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done something close to it with Waves plugins.... Essentially, what your doing is creating a script in Cool Edit / Audition. If you're not familiar with script creation, it's fairly simple.... you start a script recorder (not audio), make your changes then stop and save the script. The process takes some time to set up, but here's what I did.

1. Set Waves Ren. Vox so the gate function had a gradual close. This reduces the threshold of the breath. There will still be an audible breath.

2. Set a standard Gate to remove audio below a specific threshold.

You'll get the hang of it for your voice after a while and have thresholds that make it very easy to manually remove any breathing that may be over excessive and not processed out.

That's the only way I know how .... ProTools has this function built-in with a "Remove Silence" command, which allows you to set a number of thresholds.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Br-e-a-th Reply with quote

For me, the quickest way to edit breaths has been to become familiar with what the waveform of my breath looks like, to avoid taking off the "f" or "th" if there's one there close to the breath.

I edit in magnified view to avoid clipping what I want to keep, so that's pretty slow.

Editing takes me more time than recording, that's for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: