VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mbox Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnbailey
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Mbox Question Reply with quote

Can you use any software to record using Mbox, or just ProTools? I have a friend who is trying to install it, and it seems like all the bells and whistles on ProTools are just confusing her. I thought she might be better off with CoolEdit, SoundForge or something simpler.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope-- Just Pro Tools. . . it's completely proprietary. But it can really be as easy as you like.

Who is this friend?
Get her over here, we might be able to help.
AmysVoice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John -

I just found a couple of downloadable "how to" Adobe files on the Digi website - a welcome sight after seeing that the tuition for the online PT course is around a grand - GAK!!! >^_^<

Be sure to reassure your friend - there's a fellow rookie in the bullpen - and there's all these good folk to rely on if we get stuck!
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... if she wants to downgrade to the WAV drivers she can use the MBox, but the reality is that learning ProTools is pretty simple, in fact easier than CoolEdit if you ask me.
johnbailey
Contributor II

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Follow Up Reply with quote

Thanks for the input! I'll steer her to this board once we get the Mbox up and running.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION: Does anyone know if you have to use the XLR input for a mic on the Mbox? We've tried using the 1/4" input and get nothing but fuzz. I'm guessing that the 1/4" is a line-level input that bypasses the mic preamp. Nothing that a quick trip to Radio Shack won't solve!
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

If I understand your question correctly the answer is yes... and no.

The xlr input must be used if you are using a condenser and not using an external mic pre or phantom power unit. In that case, plug the xlr cable in and there's a little button on the back and top right of the mbox that will enable and/or disable the 48v, additionally there is a light on the front and top left of the mbox that shows when phantom power is being used.

However, if you are using an external power source and still want to use 1/4 inch (I personally prefer using xlr whenever possible - ladies and gentlemen please tell me if I'm misguided in this practice), simply plug the 1/4 inch into the same port as you would for the xlr, it's just the little hole in the middle... Then, and here's the important part... make sure you change the "source" on the front of the mbox. You'll see that above the gain knob there are 2 green lights and a yellow one, with a button to the left. In order to use the unpowered port make sure you press the source button until the "inst" (yellow) light is illuminated. Basically, the mbox just treats this input as an instrument (therefore this would be where you plug your guitar in as well) Unfortunately you will have to do this each and every time you re-power the unit, there is no memory or auto detect on the unit.

On the other hand, if you want to use xlr and not use the 48v, simply plug the xlr in, don't press any buttons (except the mono button on the bottom right for stereo monitoring) and away you go!

Oh yeah... just my opinion, but STAY AWAY FROM RADIO SHACK! Crap, Crap and more Crap!!!! Every connector and/or other piece of wiring etc... that I intended to use in recordig, have been just that, A PIECE! Spend the xtra $ and go to the local gear shop... becaues you'll just end up there in 3 months anyway, when the RS stuff craps out on you!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Mackie spike is not propietraty like the Mbox. Reply with quote

That's is one of the reasons I went with the Spike. It is not proprietary. It also has a higher sampling rate (96 KHz.) and bit depth (24-bit). Its foot can rotate 180 degrees out of the way so its slim profile fits easily in my laptop case. It is also a USB device rather than firewire (which I don’t have). Anyone thinking about an Mbox should check out the Mackie Spike too. It comes with Tracktion 2 but I use Adobe Audition 1.5 with it to edit. The Spike also has on-board DSP so it doesn't tie up your computer resources it you want a little compressing, gating, or EQ.

I almost went with an Mbox, but now I am glad I didn't. The Spike does have a wall wart to power it while the Mbox is powered through the USB connection.

I am not selling the Spike, I just really like mine.

Greg
CWToo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Mackie spike is not proprietary like the Mbox. Reply with quote

GregAllen wrote:
That's is one of the reasons I went with the Spike. It is not proprietary. It also has a higher sampling rate (96 KHz.) and bit depth (24-bit). Its foot can rotate 180 degrees out of the way so its slim profile fits easily in my laptop case. It is also a USB device rather than firewire (which I don’t have). Anyone thinking about an Mbox should check out the Mackie Spike too. It comes with Tracktion 2 but I use Adobe Audition 1.5 with it to edit. The Spike also has on-board DSP so it doesn't tie up your computer resources it you want a little compressing, gating, or EQ.

You are correct about the Mbox not having 96KHz sampling rate, but the Mbox does have 24-bit capability. It also doesn't have a firewire connection to the computer, just plain old USB 2.

Out of curiosity does anyone actually use 96 for voice work? And if you do, why?
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most I've ever been asked to supply is 24@48, which I thought was pointless, but the client wanted it for the DVD they were producing.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Mbox GT turbo convertible plus ProTools arrived last week. 12 hours later, not a sound out of it or into it. Boxed up and returned. Did enlist the help of an IT man but to no avail. I'm sure I could've got it to work eventually but after a couple of hours I started to factor in the cost of my time. Had I eventually succeeded the cost to my business would've been around $4,000 if I total the time and materials.

When I originally moved to Portgordon, my system was custom built. I plugged everything in and was able to speak to a friend using the ISDN within 30 mins and was recording within 40 mins. Moral to the story, if it ain't broke don......You know, don't you? More important, if you're a voice over professional and you're spending time doing something relevant to your business, who's paying? If the time is not chargeable, it's an investment, in which case what is the estimated return? Don't know? You should.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: