VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much do you edit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find the pop-click filter in Audition to be incredibly useful when used for short stretches, e.g. a sentence or a few words. It can make those little clicks just melt away. I don't like using it on an entire file because

A) sometimes it introduces a great big blip that you can see a mile away and it sounds like an electrical crackle. Its appearance is unpredictable, but you can tell immediately when it happens and then click "undo" in the Edit menu. Before I realised that that's where that blip came from and thought it happened during recording, I tried editing it out and that was successful. When it became clear that it was from the pop-edit filter I found that doing the whole file but in shorter stretches usually worked.

2) it may add some little noises if you use it on the whole file at once - I'm not sure about this but that's my feeling.

But for rescuing a clicky word in an otherwise satisfactory line it can be wonderful. Sometimes you can see the click but can't get it out manually without wrecking the word. The click-pop filter can then White-Knight it away.
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, it sounds as though your experience with the pop/click filter is similar to mine - a wonderful tool when it works. The way technology is zooming along, someone will have a highly effective little plug-in available real soon.

I find that if I use my filter very lightly, I don't get the "blurring" that more aggressive settings cause. Like you, I find the results better if used on relatively smaller stretches (a word or phrase).

Them there nasty, sneaky, little ticks that hide right in the waveform of a word are tough! Sometimes, if I get lucky, I can zoom in on the offending tick and actually reshape the wave form by using the mouse to flatten the peak down - and since the offending click is a transient of .050 sec or less, it sometimes does the trick.
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: This is really a post I can relate to Reply with quote

Wow!

My husband will love it when I point him to this post.

He calls me a "perfectionist" and he thinks I "spend too much time" on my editing.

Me ... I just can't help it!

If I hear one little click or pop or ... anything ... it drives me CRAZY. :twisted:

I HAVE to get rid of the annoyances I hear and I don't care what he says (much to his dismay). I'm there like "can't you HEAR that???" Then he's like "WHAT???" Then I'm "that click, (play it again) HEAR IT?? THAT click" then I end up getting frustrated, he gets frustrated ... he leaves the room, I find and remove the offending click. Smile

Sometimes I wonder ... have I spent too much time? Then I get an email from the client telling me how "great" the recording was and I'm very happy to hear it.

Honestly, I think it really comes down to what YOU want to send to the client. What YOU feel happy with and pleased to pass on to another party. For me, I'm NOT happy until I've spent the time producing what I feel is a quality product that I want my client to know me by and even though I cannot prove it, I sometimes wonder if that's why I get repeat business and new business. Word of mouth perhaps? Whatever it is, I won't stop giving my all to what I love doing even if it means spending hours instead of minutes.

Cheers,
Deb Smile
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:

"Mud sticks" casting is very poor working practise as it wastes everybody's time. As most of you are based in the USA it's worth saying that EVERY major job I have done in the USA did not come to me as the result of an audition. The opposite is true of jobs for which I recorded specific audition material - I have got none of them, not one, zero! Not bitter or angry about the latter, just very selective about those for whom I audition.

agreed 100%

-Anthony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: