VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh boy, here we go again (rates question)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Oh boy, here we go again (rates question) Reply with quote

I hate to bump the Katrina thread down a notch on the page, even if temporarily, but I need some insight and advice from the great minds here.

I just received a call from a client for whom I've done a few things in the past month. They would like to arrange for some sort of exclusivity so that I do not do VO work for their competitors. They would continue to pay me my regular rate per project, but would provide me with a list of companies (likely no more than a handful) that would be their direct competitors.

How does one begin to put a number on that? It's not as if the competitors are beating down my door to have me work for them, but I think they just want to cover their butts.

The client will be away for a while and we plan on talking about it in a week or so, so I have some time to come up with some criteria and numbers, but frankly I'd be pulling numbers out of the air if I had to come up with a figure now. As is often the case, too high a number and I may jeopardize the business I have with them now. Too low and I could lose possible future business with other companies and/or lessen the value of my services with this client. Maybe one possibility would be to simply bump up the per project rate by a percentage to grant exclusivity.

I'm open to any suggestions and opinions and would appreciate the feedback.

Don
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, you should be practicing exclusivity, already. If you have a car dealer, that should be the only one you are voicing in that market. I was once told by a good friend/client "Nobody wants to work with a voice whore." It's just good business sense to do this.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they want to ensure exclusivity, they have to pay for it.

Sometimes it's a retainer-- you get paid a minimum every month to be their spokesman.

Whatever you decide, get it in writing.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Oh boy, here we go again (rates question) Reply with quote

Don G. wrote:
They would like to arrange for some sort of exclusivity so that I do not do VO work for their competitors. They would continue to pay me my regular rate per project, but would provide me with a list of companies (likely no more than a handful) that would be their direct competitors.

I would explain to them of your status, and rights, as a Free Agent. To be exclusive with them would require a retainer and a time limit. In other words...a legal contract. If a contract is agreed upon, you can still do other VO work, but not with those companies that were banned in the contract. If they don't agree to those terms, they probably don't understand what exclusive talent rights means... and need to be educated.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: