VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Katrina
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Katrina Reply with quote

I sincerely hope any family or friends you may have living through this nightmare have found shelter and safety. I felt sick after watching the late news last night when they showed images of the dead along the side of the convention center, left unattended. I can not even imagine what people are going through in this type of crisis.

Kevin
mikemckenzie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having friends and family who reside in New Orleans brings me this bit of consolation: the rioting, looting, and anarchy we've all witnessed is not representative of that city's general populus. It is representative of the sick few who CHOSE to stay behind for the sake of profit gained from pillage. Unfortunately, those sick few are part of any urban area's life. The real sadness comes from the plight of those who DID NOT CHOOSE to stay, but COULD NOT leave; the sick, the elderly, those without transportation. Ironic enough, the real victims in this tragedy-the ones who could not leave, have still managed to compose themselves with some level of dignity.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know, man... you never really know anyone's situation until you've lived in there shoes.
besides, we can have friends and family in places of crisis, but the media can really do some damage in terms of prejudging those actually LIVING IT.

For example (this was posted on the backstage forum), read the decription next to this picture of 2 caucasians wading through water:

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/photos_ts_afp/050830071810_shxwaoma_photo1

then look at the description of an African-American kid doing the same thing:

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/480/ladm10208301530

Draw your own conclusions, but again, be careful.

Anyway, I'm happy for those who have been able to get out and those who have been able to survive this tragedy. Sometimes it's hard to believe that a large American city can experience this.

-Anthony
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh - they took the first picture down... oh well. i thought it was interesting.
i don't necessarily agree that it was what it seemed, but it does say something about how the news' presentations can influence our thoughts on a topic.

-Anthony
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a load of furor over that Found vs. Loot set of pix.

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45&aid=88106

In the same way that history is written by the victors, perception is based on who gets caught on film.

That being said-- trash is trash, no matter what color they are. . . and some people are behaving like savages down there.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: New Orleans Reply with quote

I heard that there are many junkies down there, freaking out because they can't get their drugs - so pharmacies are getting raided and they are getting guns.

A cold turkey junkie with a gun is a real dangerous thing. Several of them are out there.

I hope this government gets those stranded people out of there FAST for goodness sake. They are being called refugees, they are NOT refugees, they are American Citizens!

The way this is being handled when the risk of this happening was known, is atrocious.
scooter2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who may want to give..may I suggest

http://www.lds.org/ldsfoundation/welfare/welcome/0,7133,1325-1-9,00.html

I am not a member of this church but I am always impressed with how they respond to disasters. And almost ALL of the donations go to the task.

My second best is the Salvation Army.

Just wanted to share.

scott
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: helpless Reply with quote

:( It is truly a helpless feeling watching the horror of this. In addition to money, I've also crafted a :60 second PSA for the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.
Its being used now primarily by internet stations but it is free to ANY outlet that wants it.
Further, the script was written from copy posted on the ARC web site.
It should be posted on my web site no later than Tuesday but if you know any station or outlet that could use it, please email me the info and I will get it to them.
Between, money, prayers and a PSA, I don't what else to do at the moment.
Maybe another prayer...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LDS Church welfare system is the one of, if not THE, best in the world. Welfare as in welfare of the community.

Everyone has been doing an amazing job with the cleanup efforts. We stopped at a garage sale today and the little girls, great entrepeneurs BTW, were donating all proceeds of their lemonade sale to the effort. Not only did they have regular and Pink lemonade, but they also have 4 sizes... s, m, l, and Justin Size.

Justin
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A booking agency I work with in Atlanta also put the call out to its talent about offering PSA's. I've produced two myself. They're airing on both commercial AM/FM outlets and Internet stations. As Peter wrote, PM or email me and I'll send them along if you have broadcasting contacts who can use them.

Drew
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Orleans Reply with quote

Spacegypsy wrote:

The way this is being handled when the risk of this happening was known, is atrocious.

You're right, that's the one thing to focus on - not how some people are acting like "savages!" The criminal mind will be the criminal mind - those people that were stealing electronics are criminal and opportunists... those that are stealing food are just surviving... can't say I wouldn't do the same if put in that situation with no help. Even in a small 6,000-person town there's the occasional yearly rape (not much more savage than that!) and burglary that occurs without a natural disaster overtaking the town. Those that are commiting those crimes in your own towns, will continue to be criminal even in times of disaster.

I didn't bring that picture up to point out race - it's to realize that unless you are there or experience that first hand, it's all about perception - so you're right about that part.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, about PSA's - anyone who's listed with Donna Summers' Voicecasting also has an opportunity to provide v-o for PSA's.
great idea.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send money, food and medicine. Free VO's.... I don't think so. Some are so caught up in the world of Voice Overs they believe they are able to offer nothing else.

Every voice listed with Voicecasting donate $100
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be a cynic, Banksey.

I suspect most people are sending lawyers, guns and money
I mean money, food and medicine as well as offering their talents.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within hours, Derek Severs of CDBaby sent E-mail to all artists giving us the opportunity to voluntarily donate all profits from their CD or downloads to the Red Cross.

All I had to do was click and it was done. I'm absolutely amazed aat the number of artists who signed up within hours of the disaster. And, of course, to the extent that there's any sales, the gift will keep on giving.

It was really cool to make it happen so easily.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: