VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question re: voiceover demo length
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starkeee1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: question re: voiceover demo length Reply with quote

I was curious as to others' thoughts on this --

My voiceover demo has two tracks, a commercial and a narration track - the commercial track is a little over 2 minutes, the narration track is one.

Recently I've gotten some feedback that no one wants to hear a demo longer than a minute, so I'm considering cutting down my commercial track.

What are others' experiences and thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverse the two. 1 minute for the commercial and 2 for the narration.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my commercial stuff under a minute.

You get about 7 seconds to snag the ear of the person who is listening. Be excellent out of the starting gate and then showcase a few of your very best bits.
Leave 'em wanting more, but don't make the mistake of having tiny elements that don't give the sample a chance to be heard.
In the 57 seconds of my spots demo, I have 8 elements.

My current character demo is less than 20 seconds.

The radio image demo is less than 30 seconds.

Narration is about a minute and a half.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the commercial demo to a minute (minute and a half maximum, but a minute or close to it would be best).

Normally, no one listens over 15 seconds or so anyway.
Go on voicebank.net - you'll get a feel for length of individual spots (some demos can be better even at that level, but it's still a good resource for thousands of demos).

I agree with everyone here.

-Anthony
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of having a "quicky" overview of less than a minute somewhere on my site. Then if they're interested in hearing more, they can go to the demo page.

I was also told that the narration demo needs to be longer, but you have to be careful about not having enough length in the spots on the commercial demo.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The listener will decide the length of your demo by hitting stop. They will make a judgement based on what they want to hear. Sometimes there will be a requirement to hear more than a few seconds to establish if you can hold interest levels, equally if you deliver THE sound in one second then the job is yours.

Should someone comment that a demo is too long at 2 or 3 minutes with a variety of material, how interesting would the artist concerned remain during a audio book reading or a corporate training video. It is not enough to say a demo is too long there has to be a reason.

Best demo length is a matter of opinion and is based on the individual voice over artist. Best foot forward in 30 seconds, beyond that even a cake recipe will do.

My MegatasticMixJune2005 demo runs for 6mins 5 seconds.

A voice over artist wants more work or in the majority of cases some work. Opinions regarding demo length, CD artwork, choice of material, studio quality, the best coach, the best book, the best agent, the best website and how the market is collapsing or expanding are everywhere. Truth is that no one knows and they don't have the guts to admit it. What we face every day can be summed up in the text below.

The impossible is always tricky. Once it has been accomplished, people are full of logic. 'This is how it happened...' they say, in a tone of voice which implies that they were always expecting such an outcome. When, though, someone dares to admit that they really do not know how they managed to make something occur, they are looked at disdainfully, rather as they are when they announce their intention to try something that most people think of as hopeless. You had best decide what you want today; an explanation - or a result?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I wear my producer hat I listen until I get an idea if the talent is appropriate for the job. Frequently I have my answer in 5 seconds, and if I'm listening to 100 demos, I just don't have the time or patience to listen to 100 minutes (or more) of demos. If they're good for the job or just really good, I will listen to the whole thing.

Narration demos are usually a bit longer with longer cuts to show that you can get the "arc" of an idea accross.

Bruce
CWToo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: question re: voiceover demo length Reply with quote

starkeee1 wrote:
I was curious as to others' thoughts on this --

Recently I've gotten some feedback that no one wants to hear a demo longer than a minute, so I'm considering cutting down my commercial track.

What are others' experiences and thoughts on this?

If they don't want to hear more than a minute they can always eject your CD.

Say you have this red hot demo. Do you think somebody is going to say, "Jesus, this guy is but we can't use him because his demo is too long!"?

If your demo sucks, they listener will think it's too long no matter how long it actually is.

I guess the thrust of this muddy verbal flow is that the length of your demo means squat. The content of your demo means everything.
starkeee1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: does size matter? :) Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments!

I've generally gotten positive feedback on my demo, and I have gotten work from it (though I've embarked on my first major marketing effort somewhat recently). So I think I'll stick with it as is for now. But length is definitely something to keep in mind for the future or when I feel like I'm ready to start replacing spots with work that I've done.

Interesting that you mention having a longer narration track - I got that comment also from one producer -- when I mentioned that I've gotten mostly narration work, she recommended lengthening that track to show more variety.

Thanks again all!
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One minute...nothing longer. And it didn't take me SIX paragraphs to get to my point. :lol: Brevity...the choice of a pointless generation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brevity, particularly if you're dull. Laugh
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Oh yeah?! Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Brevity, particularly if you're dull. Laugh

Let's get this straight....I'm short, fat, ugly and middle aged :shock: ....but NOT dull. HA!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To enjoy the benefits of the full set...............You have to be British!
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually try to keep commercial demos right at :60, primarily because that's the cap that most agents require for their websites and agency CD's. Other than that, your demo can really be as long as you want, with the caveat that most producers won't listen much past the first 20-30 seconds anyway.

As far as narration goes you can (and should) make the demo longer, primarily to demonstrate that you have the ability to sustain a particular style, ie high-tech, medical, a dialect, etc. So I usually feature pieces of 15-30 seconds in length for my narration demo, making the entire demo 2-2.5 minutes long.

I also would suggest that talent interested in producing an audiobook demo should make it separate from your narration demo. Your target audience for these two industries couldn't be more different; the audiobook producer certainly doesn't want to hear your latest Biotech read, and the producer in charge of corporate communications at XYZ, Inc. isn't interested in your take on Little Women.

Jim
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm married to a Little Woman...all of 5'1" and 100 lbs. soaking wet. I'd just as soon refrain from givin' ya my take on her 'cause she's been quite the nice nurse lady since I broke my leg and I wouldn't wanna get tossed off that gravy train.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: