VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

user of marshall microphones..?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steeleman
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: user of marshall microphones..? Reply with quote

I own a Marshall MXl 2001 and really like it.. Anybody else on the forum have one? Would like to share tips or ideas...Thanks..
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I see by your profile that you have over 20 years experience. I bring this up to say that you know when something sounds good or is a nice fit for your voice and delivery. Musicians Friend has a $59 MXL990 that I've seen get rave reviews from some musicians. I'm a big believer in that it's the performance you put into the microphone as much as the mic itself. Of course, processing and the pre's you use get thrown into the mix as well.

Having said that...my Godson (16 years old) who is a great guitarist and loves to record his own stuff has a makeshift studio he set up in his home. He uses a couple of cheap mics from Musicians Friend (about $20 each). I bring him over here and set him up on the RCA 77D. The first time he sang a note into it he stopped and said, "Oh man!" <g> (By the way...I'm leaving him that mic when I pass on to the big recording booth in the sky.) <g>

My long winded way of saying that if you'e getting good results with the Marshall, then that's all that matters! Try other mics if you can. Experiment and see if another suits a project better or gives a different texture.

Enjoy the Marshall!
ReyAnthony

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an MXL 1006 on a recommendation and was very happy with the sound and price.
Doc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Marshall Mics Reply with quote

I purchased a Marshall MXLV69 - Mogami Edition and now use nothing else. It's a tubed-mic with its own phantom power and is soft and full. Only issue I have with it is it's not quite directional enough. Plus, it's black and gold and looks cool! :wink:
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not familiar with David Royer, he designs and manufactures ribbon microphones. He use to sell scout out cheap Chinese mics for modification, the MXL2001 ended up being one of the mics which he turned into a "vintage sounding" masterpiece. You'll hear people using their modified MXL2001s in place of U47s Telefunken 251s. I didn't believe the hype so I bought two mics and planned on ordering a kit as a before/after project. I liked the mic so much I waited too long to do the upgrade and now he no longer sells the kit, he sells the mic itself (for those interested check out Mojave Audio, but it's $1000).

The only tip is get a good preamp/compressor.

Kevin
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Marshall V69 Reply with quote

Hi Doc - Me too - I love my Marshall Mogami V69 - I even knocked it over a couple of times and it was OK.
My maiden name is also Phillips Smile
steeleman
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: marshall mics... Reply with quote

My long winded way of saying that if you'e getting good results with the Marshall, then that's all that matters! Try other mics if you can.

I have and bought the Marshall. I found it to be great on most vo projects
and posted this to see IF I was crazy or if others felt like I do. With the price...(less than $200)..I found it was killer for my tv vo work.....
craigieb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two days after I bought my MXL990, I used it on a live radio studio remote at a CBS O&O in Kansas City, for Vanessa Carlton. Two days after that, a studio owner friend of mine was so impressed he bought two of them, and uses them regularly.

Just a few weeks ago, I used the 990 for Bryan Adams at another CBS O&O live radio concert in Kansas City. Both Vanessa and Bryan mentioned they were impressed with the sound of the mike. I didn't bother to tell them it was $60.

I don't use mine regularly at home because my room is a bit noisy. But from time to time, I bring it out...it sounds really nice...especially for the money!
CWToo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigieb wrote:
it sounds really nice...especially for the money!

A couple of years ago production God Peter Pope and I toddled off to Mars Music (they were still in business) and found out they were having a sale on the MXL V69, so we bought a couple and took them back to Pete's studio. I think we got them for either $39 or $49 each (which may be WHY they went out of business). We were going to knock out some spots for Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits. Peter was the engineer, I was producing them for the agency and we were working with a high-priced talent. We set up the MXL next to a U87 and recorded the session on separate tracks.

You would have to be deaf not to hear the difference but our conclusion was that it wasn't $5,000.00 worth of difference. We used the MXL tracks on the finished spots and they sounded just fine.

Speaking of cheap mics, you may want to listen to an AT 2020. They retail for around 90 bucks and--for the money--sound awesome. I got one free when I bought some stuff from Musician's Friend. No U87, mind you, but pretty damn good for a "gimme" microphone.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWToo wrote:
Speaking of cheap mics, you may want to listen to an AT 2020. They retail for around 90 bucks and--for the money--sound awesome. I got one free when I bought some stuff from Musician's Friend. No U87, mind you, but pretty damn good for a "gimme" microphone.

Good point - AT mics are real sleepers too, the AT4047 is a sonic gem.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Home Studio Reply with quote

Looking to set up a second studio now in the house (other one is downtown) and just returned from some mic testing at the store. I tried the Rode NT1A, the Blue Bottle Baby and Neumann TLM 103.

I've never tried a Neumann before and...

:shock: OMG.

NOW I have to work very very hard and my family may have to skip a meal or two just to save enough....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Studio Reply with quote

audio'connell wrote:
I've never tried a Neumann before and...

:shock: OMG.

I felt the same way, wait until you hear a U47 or one of it's clones.....

Kevin
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Mics Reply with quote

Anybody try a Neumann M147? How does it compare to a TLM 103 or a U87?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an M147 as an alternative/back up to my U87. With technology it is fairly easy to make a good condenser mic sound like a valve mic but not the other way around. The M147 was bought and sold on the same day. Interesting to note, the man who bought the mic from me didn't keep it either.

Use for M147 + shockmount, photographic, to be placed on the web site of a voice over artist ....is it a law in some states?
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:

Use for M147 + shockmount, photographic, to be placed on the web site of a voice over artist ....is it a law in some states?

It's optional in most US States, but mandatory in all Canadian provinces!

Being a bit of a rebel, I've opted for the TLM 127 on my site (you think I'm kidding, but I'm not...) I'm just waiting for a Mountie with a musket to come and make me remove it!

Ladies and gentlemen it could be worse... we could be required to use a photo such as this...

http://www.philipbanks.co.uk/images/me_image.jpg

EEEEEEEEEK!

(Banksey... just a little fun at your expense! lol)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: