VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

putting together a radio show.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: putting together a radio show..... Reply with quote

It is Sunday morning, I am at Walmart when I get a call from the GM of one of the two local radio stations here in Las Vegas. At the beginning of the year I had mentioned that I would be interested in doing a radio (talk) show but there was no slot available at the time. Now the station is loosing its dj team for the Saturday morning 9-12 country show. So he calls me and asks me to stop by this week and pitch my idea of a show again. Of course I am thrilled but I am also nervous since I've never done a live show.

Now here is why I am posting this in the "GEAR" section and where I need the input from you guys: the way I see it, the station's system is based on an old computer running some sort of ancient broadcast software that lets you set up the various ads that need to run during the show. The music that will be played during the show will be played on two single CD players that are plugged into the main board. Nothing is digitally recorded.

What I would like to do is this: run the mics and the CD player into my DIGI002 or M-Box which is connected to my computer running PT 6.9 LE and then take its output into the input of the stations main board for broadcast. That way I would have a digital recording of the show that I could then podcast on my podcast website.

What d'ya think? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Bernard
SaVoa.org No. 09023
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernard - Before you touch anything talk with the station engineer and discuss what you’re looking for as the end result. Some station engineers (well, all of them) are kind of touchy when someone comes in and starts unplugging everything.

I do come with a suggestion, though:

You can take the raw feed out of a headphone jack, either in Program, off of the board, for the untouched by station processing sound or the an on-air feed for that nice, warm, snuggle up next to it and spoon awhile, compressed sound. You can even do the later at home. Just remember to have someone hit record.

Talk radio is probably the hardest and most fun thing I have ever done in my career. I have never felt so naked and vulnerable. I had 11 years of FM rock radio experience and then decided to give talk a try. After the first 45 seconds I was looking for the CD player to intro a track and had the sudden realization I had another 12 minutes to go before my break.

Best of luck with the show! Trust me; it's a ball when the show starts getting momentum.
schaer
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, the good - or bad - thing is....the station doesn't really have a fulltime engineer.... The GM is also the dj, engineer, sales person. His son does the noontime oldies show, his wife does a country show for an hour in the morning and is the receptionist and bookkeeper. Very small market. Smile

Yet, he maybe a little touchy. That's why I feel I need to come in with a good, solid, non-threatening plan/proposal.

Bernard
SaVoa.org No. 09023
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can what they have as an aircheck machine-- at the last station I worked, they had a DAT machine.

Dan-o has the best idea-- get the program feed and record that. It would save you a real-time dub step if you can record your show right onto your hard drive.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., corect me if I am wrong, but you mentioned "talk" radio - then you mentioned "DJ's" - so is this a Country "talk" show or a Country show with music?

If it's music - don't forget that licensing fees are not available for podcasting at present - therefore - no music shows are "allowed". If it's talk, remember all commercial breaks must be taken out or directed elsewhere - except national commercials.

Oh, as was mentioned before, plug a second headphone jack or an on-air monitor to the laptop - and away-y-y-y you go....

Frank F
schaer
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, I should've been more clear on that point. Currently the Sat 9 - 12 slot is a coutry music show. I am supposed to pitch a call-in talk show as well as a combination of talk and music. Since I intend to podcast I will be using www.garageband.com music exclusively with whom I have a license. They encourage podcasting.

Bernard
SaVoa.org No. 09023
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have that straight... It sounds like fun!

Something you might consider is taking it even one step further... stream the program, and record to two iPod's or similar devices. Then set-up your podcast to be on a one hour fifteen minute delay. At the top of each hour you can then compress the file and have it ready for the RSS.

This makes for a smaller download for your Poddies and a smaller file for your server to handle.

Oh, do you ned some great liner's, I.D.'s, promos, etc... I know someone who might be able to help.... (Guess who?)...

Frank F
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this tech talk is fine but I honestly believe that the main point has been missed. The proposal is not about the red plug going downstream up yer blue beard, it's the GM of the station wanting to hear about how Bernard is going to make great radio.

I honestly believe that if the conversation goes like the postings so far there will be nothing to podcast. Three hours on a Saturday morning is a long time to fill. Break it down into 1 hour chunks and think about what average listener is likely to be doing during each hour. Break each hour into 15 minute segments and make them relevant to the general context of the hour.

Just as an example let's look at 9 until 10. What are they doing? Digesting the news, having breakfast, planning the food shop, discussing what was on TV last night. There you go 4 x 15 minute segments.

9 til 9.15 News review and digest
9.15 til 9.30 Healthy living
9.30 til 9.45 Best buys, new buys (technology), money saving tips
9.45 til 10 What's on where - look back, look ahead

Just ideas off the top of my head, but I think you get the picture. Content is king, not technology.

If I've missed the point, I apologise.
schaer
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got the job.... Smile Starting 10/1 I will host a talk radio show with garageband.com based Latin music thrown in. The GM felt that might be the best for starters so I would not get stuck talking if no one calls in. Your point, Dan. Frank, please PM me on the podcast options you mentioned in your post or I'll voip you. I think I am up on podcasting but I think you lost me a bit in your post about combining stream and podcast. And yes, I could use the help Frank. This is a tiny station, but it is a start for me and a great adventure. I want this program to be the best it can be ... obviously Wink

As far as the tech stuff goes, Dan, the feed is not processed at all before it gets broadcast. Strange, but GM says, "you got to find your level during the first time on the air and stick to it."

Bernard
SaVoa.org No. 09023
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Bernard! Good luck with it!
mikemckenzie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernard, congrats! And above all else....HAVE FUN WITH IT! Becasue it's a niche thing, might I suggest to you a book, "The Power of Cult Branding" by B.J. Bueno. I think it will really help you in getting your new project off the ground.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernard,

Congrats! If you really get in to it, check out Salem Radio Labs, it's a Linux based automation system with bunch of features. Although you probably have no use for the automation, there is a tool called Sound Panel which lets you load all your elements, sound clips, etc. in place of a $1500 replay machine.

Kevin
nick reed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Bernie! I hope that everything goes well and it leads to something even better.

Nick
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right. Congratulations. Enjoy it and may it lead to more than one or two dreams turning into reality.
schaer
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate your comments.

Bernard
SaVoa.org No. 09023
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: