VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demo Artwork

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Demo Artwork Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be working on my CD artwork. What are some suggestions or things to keep in mind when creating something, AND are you guys printing the artwork right on the CD, or are you printing on CD labels instead? I know the latter is cheaper, but is it professional enough? Thanks so much for your input!

Karen
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Workshop Suggestions Reply with quote

Hi Karen - I've been to a few workshops where CD covers have been discussed, and also talked with casting agencies to see what they wanted.
It seemed like the slim CD case was a no-no, because they don't work for filing purposes if they're kept. Some people don't keep the case, just keeping the CD.
My demo artwork I made myself, using Avery products, so I can make customized demos with corresponding labelling, just running off each CD as I need them. I've never done a mass mailing, though. I prefer going to situations like seminars where you get to meet the casting folks yourself, or emailing MP3s.
I only have artwork/contact details on the CD, and on a sticky label on the spine, so that saves on inserts - since so many folks said they tossed the inserts or weren't interested in it anyway. That way, the jewel case with filing info on the spine is serviceable for folks who file on a shelf, and the CD has all my info on it for those who put them in plastic wallets to save space.
I wonder how many agencies are fed up with seeing the standard mic pic on a cd cover? Smile
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD artwork should be "You" so steer clear of the stereotypical images. Out of interest my CDs are black with white lettering.

Top of the CD

......................just another voice over

www.philipbanks.co.uk

Bottom

Philip Banks

tel/fax vmvmbmmb
ISDN kgkfgndjeiei

That's it, no images, nothing. Minimalist.

Keep it simple, let it say something about you and do not put ....

A photo of a Neumann M147 mic in shickmount
Comedy/tragedy masks
A photo of Hermann Georing dressed as Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The graphic artwork on my CDs and cases matches the stuff on my website. Same color setup, same typeface.

I print directly onto CDs, but the glossy labels I used to use in the past were very nice and long-lasting. The Matte ones did NOT last as well and the clear ones were icky.

I use the fat jewel cases because the spine is the only real estate you have on the shelf, if the recipient does keep them that way. Both the CD and the case have my name and phone number. The CD also has my e-mail address.

I print full tray cards with a track listing.

The overall look is very sharp. I use one or the other depending on my mood, but I tend to gravitate to the white-on-black one.

Last edited by Deirdre on Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Here's Mine Reply with quote

Mine's Pink, cos that's my signature color - My last name is Rosati -
the alignment's out on the spine, I know, but this gives the general idea..

anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to avoid stick-on labels at all cost or if you can afford it.

Unless they are aligned almost "perfectly" it will throw the CD off balance and make it hard for some players to track - therefore lowering compatibility and rendering your CD unplayable in some CD players.

Additionally, no matter how well you think you stuck it on there, sometimes they will come loose and will damage the player - not a good impression on a client or agent. Remember, these things spin between 500-200 revolutions per minute in an audio CD-player - not a place for something to be on that's not part of the CD itself.

On a budget, I recommend you find someone that can do thermal printing (black ink on a regular plain silver blank cd).
A notch up from there would be to find a company that does full-color short run CD's.

As far as graphics - I'm with Philip, less is more. Mine are also black with white printing (expensive, but worth it):

Good luck to ya.
-Anthony
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another choice for a full color CD/DVD printer which is fairly inexpensive and easy to use is the Epson Sylus R200. Ink-Jet printable CD's run approximately $0.35 USD each and are available in gloss and matte white or silver (personally I like the silver with some bold colors...).

Printer: under $200.00 USD. Ink can get somewhat expensive so I suggest a bulk ink filler for approximately $135.00 USD.

More info - contact me.

Frank F
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Workshop Suggestions Reply with quote

Spacegypsy wrote:
I wonder how many agencies are fed up with seeing the standard mic pic on a cd cover? Smile

I am sooo screwed! :shock:
(look left)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no problem at all with the stick-on labels, but on-disc printing would be more professional, I guess. If you're intrested in that Epson printer it's going for $69.99 right now at Office Depot stores.

It has 6 ink cartridges (1 black, 5 color) which I guess can save you some money because you don't throw out the whole color cartridge when one section is out. The cartridges seem to list for $12 to $16, but I found a place that sells refillable cartridges for $7, and sells the refill fluids too: http://www.ink-refills-ink.com/_detail.php?id=955&porc=p&src=froogle

Whatever happened to the HP system that would allow you to burn a CD/DVD on one side, flip it over and then burn a good looking label on the other side? It was quite expensive, last I heard.

Bruce
lisaloo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a cheap solution, but a solid and reliable one:

In the past, I had my artwork/logos professionally designed. You can almost always find an affordable graphic designer in any metro area -- usually there is someone graduating from art school or otherwise breaking into the field and looking for clients, etc.

And I had them do things to spec for Evatone - the duplication facility in Florida. Or WMG in Indianapolis, who I've also had great experiences with.

All that said, however . . . I have not pressed a CD in almost 5 years now.

All my demos are on the web - either on my site, an agent's site or Voicebank.

It just hasn't paid for me to do it and since neither of my agents have bugged me to deliver new demos in hard copy, I have to assume that fewer producers are asking for individual CDs to listen to anymore. But then again, I'm in a different market and situation, so . . . ya never know.

As always, your mileage may vary.

But back when I was doing this, I made the investment in professional art and duplication because I heard many clients say that no matter how nice a homemade CD might look, it still looked like a homemade CD.

Surely mass-market software and labels have improved greatly in the past few years -- and more of us than ever before have become proficient at using these tools. Still, I know that I personally really suck at this stuff, so I leave it alone.

One last thought . . . as you root around looking for images or art or wherever . . . be careful about where you get it. Most anything you find belongs to somebody and requires paying a royalty to use it.

The odds are long that you'd get found out, but you never know. It would be a real drag to duplicate 500 (or even 50) CDs with - for example - a photo of a Neumann mic you snagged from the web, only to get a letter from the company telling you to cease and desist using the image.

Just FYI. Google for "royalty free art" or like terms if you're looking for existing illustrations, photos or whatever to plug into your design.

FWIW . . . I trolled the web looking for inspiration for my "paper doll" theme and found an artist's site. I absolutely LOVED her stuff, and instead of asking another designer to (either literally or figuratively) take her work, I simply emailed her and asked if she'd be willing to license her stuff for my purposes.

That began a lovely collaboration that has lasted three years now. She even did a few things specifically for my site, and now has a nice little licensing arm of her business. She charges a very fair rate, and I sign a contract with her at the first of every year. Win/win.

Wink

Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisaloo wrote:

All that said, however . . . I have not pressed a CD in almost 5 years now.

really? :shock:
lisaloo wrote:

All my demos are on the web - either on my site, an agent's site or Voicebank.

Ah, to dream - all my demos are on my site, listing sites, and uh... voicecasting.com

by the way - about "royalty-free" images - all that means is that you don't have to continuously pay royalties to use the image, but, for the best images, there is a one-time buy-out of sorts. Check www.comstock.com - which I used to use when I designed websites and other corporate materials.
Again, "royalty-free" doesn't mean "free" - but some of the highest quality images are worth the one-time license fee.

-Anthony
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iStockPhoto is also a very dandy place to get great images. I use these guys all the time for my photographic and video work.

for instance: I needed a fire escape.

Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Nice Pic Reply with quote

That's a really lovely pic of you DB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: