VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No, don't mention the voice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: No, don't mention the voice Reply with quote

This post is prompted by a comment I made in the Gear section regarding Bernard pitching for a show. My thoughts and probably every potential listener would think the same, what’s in it? Why should I listen? The discussion was largely about the potential for podcasting, plugging in various pieces of technology and the functionality of the studio equipment.

For those of us who have studios, technical issues do arise from time to time and this group is full of the experience needed to solve problems, buy the right gear and get the best out of it.

Looking at a great deal of the requests for demo feedback, the responses and the “case for the defence”, most believe that the content is a “given” but the Oralfixalator may need De-topping around the mid transition. If someone used their basic PC mic and windows audio recorder, no effects, processing, music, just the voice, what would we make of the demo?

If someone is selling their skills as an audio producer, every production element is subject to scrutiny and that includes the voice artist who was cast for each particular spot. In the context of a demo for a voice artist the only thing that should be subject to scrutiny is the voice, its tone, pitch, accent, style, the actors approach, interpretation of the copy and degree of flexibility. If you’re not flexible, don’t worry. Don La Fontaine is a “one trick pony” and he makes a living. If you sound like Don La Fontaine and are a “one trick pony”, worry, that base is covered.

I honestly believe that we do every person asking for a demo critique a great disservice by majoring on the technical aspects and ignoring the person. We take, Bill Newbie. His mic isn’t that good, the copy is weak, levels all over the place and the transitions are clunky. We decide to help by pooling some money and shipping him to Frank’s studio in Arizona. Posted a week later, 90 seconds of audio perfection from Bill Newbie, perfection that is with the exception of his the voice, its tone, pitch, accent, style, the acting approach, interpretation of the copy and degree of flexibility. Frank puts up a post saying that it took four hours to get Bill sounding that good. But Bill’s demo sounds awful so we’re not going to pay Frank and we certainly are not going to cover Bill’s travel expenses. I’ve decided that’s the way it is, not negotiable.
I’ll bet Frank and Bill are thrilled that no one noticed Bill’s lack of basic ability to the extent that both are a few hundred dollars down on the deal.

What’s to be done? As a voice artist do not post your demo just to get an ego massage, you should expect honesty, guidance, constructive criticism and you should not expect anyone to be rude. As a critic you must remember that you are not a missile set to seek and destroy, you’re not the artist’s mother so “ooooooo that’s nice dear” won’t help. What you write should be designed to help the person grow. Never say “never” but say “unlikely”. Needless to say you should not identify a problem unless you have a proven solution. Don’t be cuddly bunny nice, help. Don’t be cruel, shut up!

I would love to see every one of you, doing better work than you’re doing now and earning more from voice overs than you’re earning now.

Never let it be said I don’t never not tell ya’ll nuthin’.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen brotha!

And to that, I'm hittin' the woodshed.
mikemckenzie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: No, don't mention the voice Reply with quote

Quote:
What’s to be done? As a voice artist do not post your demo just to get an ego massage, you should expect honesty, guidance, constructive criticism and you should not expect anyone to be rude. As a critic you must remember that you are not a missile set to seek and destroy, you’re not the artist’s mother so “ooooooo that’s nice dear” won’t help. What you write should be designed to help the person grow. Never say “never” but say “unlikely”. Needless to say you should not identify a problem unless you have a proven solution. Don’t be cuddly bunny nice, help. Don’t be cruel, shut up!

I'd like to testify that the professional opions and counsel given here are sound advice. When I posted my demo for critique, I was given not just praise but serious input on how to take something that had possibilites and turn it into viable product.

I am happy to say that because of the advice given to me by Banksey, Bruce, Andy, and countless others, that revised demo made it's way to The William Morris Agency. I recieved a phone call last Thursday requesting a second demo. As of 10:30 this Monday morning, I'm still waiting for another phone call.

Even if the deal with WMA falls through, the fact remains that because of the advice and critique given to me by the users of this board, my revised demo garnished the attention of an agent. To me, that validates everything.

Look at the money people spend on coaching and getting their demos professionally produced. That can be a good thing and a wise investment in one's career. However, it is my contention that there is enough, viable, working-and successfull, talent on this board to help mentor those of us still-so-green and dreamy.

VO-BB works!

Thank you Dierdre for the forum. Thank you Banksey, Bruce, Andy, Bailey, and the others for sharing with me your sage counsel.
lisaloo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of along these same lines, but taking it sideways a bit . . .let's talk about material.

GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT

One thing I think almost all aspiring VO's should do when setting about to make a demo is get the best possible copy they can find.

That's a given, you say?

Well, apparently not.

Even the best pipes are hobbled by bad copy (e.g. hokey local radio spots), and yet most of the folks doing a demo from scratch seem to gravitate to whatever old or otherwise crummy material they find online or get handed to them by a coach/demo producer.

Here's the thing: especially on a first time demo (when you have no fully produced spots to pull from and thus, no restriction as to what you can record), you are totally free - if not downright INVITED - to steal the best, freshest copy you can get your mitts on!

Provided you don't mimic the actual VO on the original spot, or use copy for a client that is heavily identified with a signature voice (James Earl Jones on Verizon, Billy Crudup on Mastercard, etc.) you can use anything!

Before they set as much as one toe into a booth to lay down demo tracks, I advise people to first set their TiVo or VCR and record three hours of network TV and three hours of cable. If they can do it, I aldo advise they get three hours of radio on tape. For women, I tell them to grab daytime for network, Lifetime/We/Oxygen for cable and their local Lite Rock station for radio. For guys, it's prime time network, ESPN/FSN for cable and either rock or AM-talk radio.

Then I have them play back all the commercials in these blocks and listen with their eyes closed. If something pops out that they think they could have been on the original audition for -- or even something that just plain rings their chimes, they transcribe it into a script (adding info like the overall feel of any music or SFX), etc.

By the time they are done, they should have at least fifteen or twenty scripts to pull things from -- all of which are of-the-moment and if not Clio-worthy, at least good enough to have passed muster and make it to air.

Now, I suppose if someone's goal with a demo is to only draw clients from very small markets, it is fine (and maybe even preferable) to just use local-sounding copy. But if you hope to work in even a mid-sized market (let alone in a big 'un) why limp along behind lame-o copy for Barney's Beer Barn when you could borrow the prose Needham wrote for Budweiser's national campaign?

And if your demo is going to be a combo of "real" jobs and the rest invented from scratch, the same thinking applies. Just make sure that every word that shows up in that precious commercial minute is worthy of the time it's taking up. Once in a while I have used tiny snippets of otherwise lackluster single-market radio spots and set them right alongside a national TV campaign cut. It works just fine. As long as the production values are up to snuff and don't vary wildly, mix and match all you want. Just don't put words that suck on your demo!

Remember: especially where folks trying to break in are concerned, agents and employers alike understand that a demo is just that: a demo. It is understood that newbies have to record from scratch. But what baffles these people much of the time is why -- when an aspiring VO can record anything in the world -- they are forced to listen to so many demos filled with wretched copy. If anything, it's understood that a newbie has more latitude than a veteran when choosing copy, so folks shouldn't aim so low. There is an expectation of quality, even if they don't expect any of the spots to be produced gigs that actually aired.

And two more hints to help avoid sounding like a rip-off artist when digging for material: if you're concerned that your voice is too much like the actual VO on the spots, first of all: thank you for considering the performer who did the actual gig. Wink To create a distinction, just make a deliberate attempt to find another, very different approach to the read and consider changing the style of the music bed (if any) you'll use, etc. Keep the good copy - just make it your own in every sense of the word.

Another good short-cut is to gender-bend and record a script or two that originally carried a VO of the opposite sex.

That's my contribution to the discourse. Your mileage may vary - and not all demos suffer from this (only most of them).

This is, by the way, why I stay out of the Demo Critique forum here and the demo critique business in general. It's really hard to say, "Well, first thing . . . throw the first six cuts away and start over because all of the copy is horrible . . ."

Lisa
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another very good source for copy is magazine ads.

Professional writers and all that.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: That musta been SOME post! Reply with quote

OK.

So are we setting a new rule that when we hear a demo that actually sucks....I mean REALLY blows...awful, bleeding ears type stuff....are we now agreeing to tell that person to get out of the business right away or we'll collectively rip out his/her larynx?

I'm just asking....
:roll:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: That musta been SOME post! Reply with quote

audio'connell wrote:
OK.

So are we setting a new rule that when we hear a demo that actually sucks....I mean REALLY blows...awful, bleeding ears type stuff....are we now agreeing to tell that person to get out of the business right away or we'll collectively rip out his/her larynx?

I'm just asking....
:roll:

Yes, anyone who knows for sure that the voice over will never make the grade under any circumstances should say precisely that. Luckily for the people who submit demos such a person doesn't exist. So perhaps constructive guidance would be more useful. How they get from where they are to where they want to be.

As a general rule of thumb, anyone wanting to be a voice over who doesn't have AB56 as the first four digits of their postal/zip code should be beaten to death with a hake. Unbiased opinion, of course.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: That musta been SOME post! Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, anyone who knows for sure that the voice over will never make the grade under any circumstances should say precisely that.

OK fine but we're going to have make an executive decision on these talent-less hacks should they appear...should we choose

a. flogging
b. hanging

Obviously, there are pros and cons to both with varying degrees of messiness. :lol: (For the more sensitive readers among you, the aforementioned is a joke)

Now, I'm not shy about critiquing demos but I will say that I have heard some on here that I thought we're so bad that I simply didn't respond (don’t be confused, sometimes I didn’t have time to respond either so don’t immediately think if you didn’t get a response from me that you should quit).

My feeling was these few people were unfortunately kidding themselves so greatly about their vocal abilities (as, I am well aware, could also be said about mine) nothing I can say would either:

a. Get through to them
b. Sound anything less than bullying and cruel

St. Jude is the Patron Saint of Lost Causes....not me.

As rough around the edges as I am, I’m strictly an occasional arbitrator for vocal improvement. I’ve no passion (as others seem to) in deciding a person’s life or death in their vocal profession.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK--- down, Boys.

Any criticism posted on this site will be polite and insightful or it will not be allowed to stay up.

It's perfectly fine to be truthful. Point out flaws when they are there. We all like to praise the high points-- but if there are specifics in a demo that are obviously damaging to the career possibilities of the person requesting feedback, I think we are remiss to gloss them over.

We will disagree with each other's opinion from time to time but argumentation in the critique forum will not be tolerated and neither will sarcasm.

Keep things civilized or I will kick your ass.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you dare tell me what to do!! I thoroughly intend to be AWFUL and armed with a hake at all times. If Peter, out of the kindess of his heart pre-hangs these people that merely enables me to deliver the fatal blow with my wet flat fish of choice. To any who submit demo's.

1 Please don't wriggle, resistance is useless.
2 Don't break my hake or mention his flatness as he's a bit touchy about
that.
3 There is no item 3
4 See item 3

On a serious note, if a person doesn't feel inclined to help out a newcomer there is nothing wrong with a dignified silence.
donrandall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK fine but we're going to have make an executive decision on these talent-less hacks should they appear...should we choose

a. flogging
b. hanging

You guys are kinda scaring me! Ya know, us no talent hacks need love too.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say the most beneficial thing to come out of those two trading quips, is that I now know what a "hake" is. For the rest of you, I will spare the trip to the dictionary:

Hake - Any of various marine food fishes of the genera Merluccius and Urophycis, related to and resembling the cod.

Banksey has provided us a fanciful way of saying "I'll slap you with a wet fish!"

Thank you Banksey!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, it's not nice to fool with Mother Nature AND Mistress Dierdre... She can get mean.... But I like to stay on her good side....

Frank F.
Jeffers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donrandall wrote:
Quote:

a. flogging
b. hanging

You guys are kinda scaring me! Ya know, us no talent hacks need love too.

I'll second that!!!
Hacks is hacks...not "hake"!
Smile

Jeff S.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:

Any criticism posted on this site will be polite and insightful or it will not be allowed to stay up.

It's perfectly fine to be truthful. Point out flaws when they are there. We all like to praise the high points-- but if there are specifics in a demo that are obviously damaging to the career possibilities of the person requesting feedback, I think we are remiss to gloss them over.

For what it's worth...
I am adult enough to understand that when I put my demo in the spot light and ask for "comments"... I am not wearing my heart on my sleeve. If someone does the same, I will review their demo, and hope that I can give them an honest opinion. I may not have the "ear" that many of the other artists on this forum have, and I certainly don't have the mechanical intelligence to understand many of the equipment "buzz words". But I do feel comfortable enough, and trusting enough, to accept any and all criticism that is thrown my way. I would rather redo a demo 30 times or more... and get it right... than to be settle for less then is expected by my peers.

My suggestion to those Vo artists and VO wanabies... this is the place to air your "mistakes", don't take it personal... it's just business.
(Leave the gun, take the Cannoli’s)
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: