VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any experience with Studio Center?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Any experience with Studio Center? Reply with quote

I thought there was some discussion on this elsewhere but can't find it. I sent my demo CD to Studio Center and they just called to say they really like my voice and do I have ISDN. No ISDN, so they can't use me.

Probably impossible to know the cost/benefit ratio here, but I am certainly thinking more seriously about the possible benefits. Does anybody here work with Studio Center? Nick Reed, you've got a lot of experience with gambling, help me out!!

I feel like I'm sitting on the shore watching a gorgeous cruise ship sailing away from me....
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studio Center wrote:
Please be aware, however, that of the 900 talent hopefuls who submit their tapes or CDs to us each year, we bring in only about 200 to audition. And of those, we choose only thirty or forty each year.

I'm on their union roster-- have been for a few months, but no bites yet.
I like 'em well enough! They're good at keeping in touch with ya. Should you install ISDN just for these guys? Hmmm. The work isn't going to come pouring in right away, but you'll be ready when it does.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DB. I found out in subsequent correspondence with SC that non-union talent have an exclusive arrangement with them. But clearly, that isn't the case with union talent -- I wonder why they would require that of non-union? After all the hours sweating to get the clients I have, it's hard to imagine having to give them up.

Not burning any bridges now, but don't feel able to sign on the dotted line at this time (either theirs, or the fat check for ISDN). But I was really thrilled to be contacted just the same.

Sigh. Maybe I'll catch the next ship, or the one after that.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary-- I cannot imagine any agency of this kind trying to keep you from maintaining a priori arrangements with clients. Ask them specifically what they mean by "exclusive".
jeffgad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Studio Center Reply with quote

I'm having the opposite experience as MCM. I do have ISDN and contacted them recently. I Fed Ex'd them a demo, had a nice telephone chat, even coincidently got booked on a session recorded there the same week, then...nothing! I can't get a response.
steeleman
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: studio center Reply with quote

Don't they have 3 locations. Norfolk, Las Vegas and somewhere else?
Voiceguy Bob Jump used to own them. It seems ONE out of 3 people
want to be in voiceover....these days....! VERY crowded! The best
stand out (sometimes stand out in the rain!!) :cry:
lisaloo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW . . . how do they define "having ISDN"?

I know a couple of people in Chicago who simply don't want to maintain a home studio at all and opt instead to put a local studio with ISDN on "retainer" - as it were. They go there regularly to do their ISDN sessions and work around the existing schedule. With notable exceptions, one can usually get a 30 minute session in a larger audio facility sometime in an average day.

If you can get to a studio with ISDN with some wiggle room in their daily schedule, that might count as "having ISDN". Unless they absolutely require that it is yours and yours alone and there is a legitimate chance that you will need to use it every day and on less than 30 minute notice . . .

It's not a perfect solution, but it might suffice. What is your proximity and relationship to local full-service studios?

Lisa
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa, thanks for your suggestions. I'm about 10 miles from a studio with ISDN and they charge $125/hour for it. Possibly they would lower their rate if it were a regular thing, although one can't predict how regular it would be at this point. And I don't know SC's policies about it. (what kills me is the local college, where I teach part time, has a media department with ISDN, but it's not available for commercial purposes :cry: )

It's funny, people have such different approaches to this. I talked to a producer on the telephone who will only use non-local talent via ISDN. But he had no problem with me going to my local source for the session and adding the $125 to my talent fee. Of course, I might never get work from him -- I can't think why his clients would choose a non-local person charging $125 more than a local one.

Any other New England VOs out there want to form a consortium and share the cost of ISDN?
jeffgad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Studio Center Reply with quote

For what it's worth... I finally got a response out of Studio Center, and the exclusivity they want is apparently for union and non-union. I'm recently fi-core (after 20 years of union-only), and was told I couldn't be on any other company's marketing materials or websites. Don't know about you guys, but I couldn't run away fast enough!
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does this mean you can't be represented by another agent? I've also recently been contacted by Studio Center. I've always heard they were a quality organization, but this doesn't sound too cool.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the heck it means, Kit. Find out for us, will ya? I don't get why the rules should be different for union and non-union.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry Jeff -- didn't see your post. According to their website, they changed owners last year, which often means some changes that are not universally popular.

So, see you on the pavement!
CWToo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: studio center Reply with quote

steeleman wrote:
Don't they have 3 locations. Norfolk, Las Vegas and somewhere else?
Voiceguy Bob Jump used to own them.:

Studio Center has three locations: Norfolk (HQ), Las Vegas and Memphis. More locations are on the way.

While Bob Jump is a voice guy, he never owned Studio Center. He had a tiny share in the company while he served as president of the firm. The company founder is Warren Miller (not the ski movie guy). The company was sold a year ago to a group headed by William Prettyman.

The exclusivity thing has been an important part of Studio Center's marketing since it was founded 38 years ago. Having a union talent roster is relatively new.

I went to work for Studio Center as a producer in 1979, left to go freelance in 1994, was hired back in 2004 to be GM of the Las Vegas operation, missed the life of freelancing so I resigned a couple of months ago.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris -- great to see you here! I love the pictures at your website (but tried to listen to your demo and it was not available). It sounds like you are definitely the guy to go to for questions about Studio Center.

Mary
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to the world of freelancing, Chris. I wish you continued success.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: