VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boards w/ built-in effects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemckenzie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Boards w/ built-in effects Reply with quote

Does anyone here have any experience with, or own a board with "built-in" effects, like the Behringer? If so, would you care to share your likes or dislikes? Would you recomend them?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of Behringers I use for location recording and for my portable audio set-up. Both have "built-in's".

I choose NOT to use them as I like a flat clean sound. If any specialities are needed - I use the old stand-by FIP (Fix It in Post) or do it while your editing. I use both outboard (PC) and onboard (In the Program) effects lightly - I am a purest, I do not like a whole lot of processing unless it is necessary.

For the price of a Behringer, you cannot beat it. If it's just for VO, find an 802 or 602 and you will be happy.

good Luck.

Frank F
mikemckenzie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the input. Granted, with the right editing software, like Cool Edit, that more-or-less defeats the need for built-in effects. I have to admit, the Behringer's price looks VERY ATTRACTIVE. So, if it's durable enough to use as "portable gear," then tat says a lot to me. By the way, when it comes to your "road gear," what mics do you use?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit unique when it comes to my microphones, I take what I work with all the time - a Neuman U87 Gold or an AKG 414B-ULS Gold.

I also sometimes take an MXL Ribbon mic or if I am planning on recording someone else I take the appropriate microphone for the voice.

Please understand, I have had this problem since I started in radio many, many many moons ago (Marconi was a neighbor) -I Collect Microphones. So now that my story is "out", I'll have go to the 20 step program and swear off buying more... but I just can't...

Anyway, depending upon several things - and your budget should be one of the largest - consider something that works for you, has a good hard case, and is something you really like to work with - often.

Frank F
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, I use a Behringer Eurorack UB802. Got it for less than $100.00 at a nearby Radio Shack :shock: Mine doesn't have the on-board effects...just nice, clean mic pre's with 3 band eq on each channel and phantom power. I do like it's small footprint too...it's the 6 channel version. My AKG C3000B mic sounds very good running through it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hearing pretty good things about the Behringer boards. That will most likely be my choice. I've recently discovered an on-line discount house called zZound.

Ever heard of it. If you havn't, may I suggest you check it out.

http://www.zzound.com
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made several purchases through zZounds.com I would highly recommend them and Sweetwater. Also checkout SamAsh and Guitar Center/musiciansfriend.com

Justin
nick reed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Best Mixing Board Reply with quote

Well, I just posted this and after I went back and read the thread, I realized that in my enthusiam about my mixer, I really lost sight of what this this thread was all about... FX on mobile boards. :oops: Sorry. Well, I will let it stand as it is, as it may be helpful to someone shopping for mixers.

[See this is where I got off on the wrong foot!]
Just wanted to put in my two cents on the best-bang-for-the-buck mixing board. [Too much enthusiasm!] [Not really listening to others!] I started with a Behringer UB502 which had no phantom power. I really just used it as a headphone amp anyway. It was only $35 which was actually cheaper than a headphone amp!

When I realized that I would need a board with phantom power, I considered the Behringer UB802 for only $50 and the Yamaha MG102 for $99. I didn't need the four mic inputs of the Yamaha but I respect Yamaha equipment and this was the least expensive Yamaha unit.

Anyway, I stumbled across a mixer that solved my dilemma... the Soundcraft Compact 4, for $99. The Compact 4 was specifically designed for use with a computer. It has two mic inputs and two headphone outputs, as well as many other nice features. It has a lot of natural weight, so it doesn't slide around at all. The mic pre's work well with a TLM103 (although I have ordered a voice strip). Anyway, I highly recommend the Compact 4.

Of course, I would recommend the Behringer UB802 to anyone on a strict budget, there's no denying it's a great buy, but $99 is still reasonable and I think the Soundcraft is worth the difference.

Just my opinion... I'm sure there are plenty of people who disagree!

Link http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/630925/

Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: