VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I do?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: What should I do? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I seem very snakebit as of late. I had to bow out of a broadcasting course after 2 days because there was absolutely no way my student loan was going to be released to me. And now today, I was rejected by a local VO outfit. This was the reply:
Hi Tom,

Thank you for the email and telephone msg!
I have listened to the demo you sent and checked out your other demos on your site and unfortunately we will not be adding your voice to our site at this time. I would say the biggest concern I have with your voice is your diction - consistently it sounds like you are dropping parts of words and consonants and words are often slurred together. Our work is generally more commercial related than conversational and this type of read just wouldn't work.

Now, I absolutely LOVE using my voice, but maybe all I'll ever be is just a PA guy. Sorry folks, but I'm just damn discouraged.

Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear, Dear Tom,

You need need need some vocal coaching if you want to pursue this as a career. You have some bad habits that need to be broken and you need to get a grip on your vocal mechanics.
At the moment you sound very untrained.
It's not an impossible task, but it's no small matter either— you must be willing to take it on the chin and keep practicing the hard stuff.

All the best,
Deirdre

Last edited by Deirdre on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post title is "What should I do?".

The only answer I can think of is another question: "What do you want to do?" What kind of VO work are you trying to get into?

I certainly don't want to discourage you, but I also don't want to prop you up falsely. I listened to your demos on your site and to be honest, I heard the same things the VO outfit heard. Your Saturday sounds like "Sa'urday" for example. When you play it back, do YOU hear the problems?

Keep in mind that rejection is a big part of this business. I've been rejected more times than I've been accepted and you can't take it personally. This rejection letter is different and the feedback they gave you is a gift. They told you specifically WHY your voice wasn't right for them. Take it to heart without taking it personally.

So now you can take that advice and seek the training you need to overcome the obstacle. Don't give up. But realize there's more work ahead of you.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poor sound quality may have contributed here, but I tried listening to a couple of your audio files and I honestly couldn't understand most of what you were saying!

So yes, some training is in order, perhaps even a couple of speech therapy sessions to help you retrain your articulation tools. It's a nice website, but it's all a bit cart-before-horse I'm afraid. If this is your dream, you should absolutely put in the work to acquire the skills, find your personal VO potential, and work toward reaching it! Good luck!

Last edited by asnively on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
I am very interested in doing commercials & narration. Currently I am doing public address work & have "knocked 'em dead" wherever I've worked. Been complimented on my professionalism over & over. But I'm wanting to do much much more than PA stuff.

Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then you know what you need to do. Get some training for those areas you want to be successful in. I didn't listen to all your demos, but they seem to be all PA sports type stuff. Do you have examples of the types of work you want to do?
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do, however they are on that ancient media, the cassette.
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bisonvoice wrote:

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bisonvoice wrote:

So record some new ones!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those fossils are amazing.
Hve you ever seen the bones for an Ampex Rex?
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:

Hve you ever seen the bones for an Ampex Rex?

No. But I heard the new Creation Museum has a Revox A77 they found embedded in sandstone somewhere in South Dakota. Apparently it still worked when they plugged it in.

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I once read somewhere: When life gives you dilemmas, make dilemmanade.

I must whole-heartedly agree with everyone who has and will advise to explore your range and find out what you enjoy doing the most and then get training. I've just started, but every time I read a book, take a class or workshop or even listen to a podcast, I pick up some little nugget of info that's worth keeping and shining up for later.

The agent/outfit/place gave you some direction that will help you achieve a more marketable sound. Here's where you make the dilemmanade.

Fine, so the diction needs work. I've found that Jim Alburger's trick on holding a pencil just behind your front teeth and over-annunicating copy does wonders. That's something that can be done on the way to work. Just read billboards, bumperstickers, etc.

Frankly, I'm embarassed that I sent a reel of my radio spots to DB Talent years ago when I lived in Austin. Their office is in an old house on a large, wooded lot in the middle of a neighborhood that was just a few blocks from my house (at the time). I figured, heck, they're neighbors, they'll find something for me to do....

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

They represent Harlan Hogan, for Pete's sake. They have enough on their plate.

But I sure as heck got a great rejection letter from them.

If you really want to do this, experiment and find your niche'. Try a little bit of everything! Then practice like crazy and save everything.

That's about as far as I've gotten. More next year. Wink If I hadn't noticed a drastic change in my own performance over the last year, I sure as anything wouldn't have chimed in.
VO-BB Member #59
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing was, when I did those VO spots, I got nothing but positive feedback, never had one negative response. Did those spots stink?

Am just curious.

Tom
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positive feedback from whom? Experts in the field of Voice-over work? People who are in a position to get you the work you seek?

Whether or not they "Stink" is not the right question. Will those demos get you commercial or narration work? Unfortunately, no.

Given your reactions to the previous posts, I'm wondering if you're taking to heart the suggestions of more training and education. I hope you are.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom--
Are you referring to actual spots, or to the Bison Previews and such at your site? Unless I'm missing something, I see only your PA/color work.
I agree with the comments above, and hope you do, too. When someone such as yourself has spent years doing the type of work you've done, like PA duties, it's easy to fall into routine and a.) not hear what others hear and b.) not stretch enough to have variety in delivery, volume, locution, etc.
Practice, listen, change, stretch, train, practice, read, listen critically (to yourself and everyone else, in VO or otherwise), practice, train ... you get the picture.
It's always a journey; in my opinion, one is never there. So staying actively engaged in growing, learning, training, practicing, exploring, expanding is key.
You get the (second) picture.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: