VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

urei LA-4's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steeleman
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: urei LA-4's Reply with quote

Anybody remember the Urei LA 4 compressor. I thought it was
a grear compressor. VERY quiet ! Wondering if anybody else felt the same way..

I think they are hard to find! The LA 5 was not the same!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Urei LA4 Reply with quote

I've got one in my dungeon at Cox/B-ham. It's getting serviced, at the moment. However, it's going back in anyday. I'm so glad that our new Chief Engineer, Tom Scott, is also a musician. He knows how things are supposed to sound, not just how they equate mathmatically and theoretically. He saw that Urei and said that he's used them off and on in both his persoanl recordings and at stations that he's serviced.

Sometimes, and this being one of those times, something old, tube driven and very analogue has superiority over today's digital tech. You can't beat the warmth that it eminates, the subtle open and closing of it's gate. And if adjusted just right, and processing a Neuman mic, whamo, boffo, socco, shiver me down filled timbers, this thing is smooth, warm, soft, and sexy.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Scott?

kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Urei LA4 Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Sometimes, and this being one of those times, something old, tube driven and very analogue has superiority over today's digital tech.

You can say that again, I built my studio around tube based preamps and compressors. I originally went looking for an LA2A and ended up buying two units from Danny McKinney at Requisite Audio after getting feedback from a number of producers. The vintage UREI equipment can be found on Ebay in good-excellent condition and there's always an LA4A around $500.00.

Kevin
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's THE Tom Scott...that'd be a kick!
mikemckenzie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Tom Scott?

Granted, that would be killer. However, this Tom Scott is not THAT Tom Scott. However, it wouldn't surprise me if had some kind of life of fame on the side. This Tom Scott is like MacGyver, without big hair. He's without a doubt the best engineer we've ever had here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: