VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new website: EXTRA! EXTRA! WEBSITE DOES 180
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brett Mason
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now...THAT...is indeed creative! Kudos.

Just a suggestion, though. Your name doesn't stand out as much as it could. What about headlining the board with something like "Greg Phelps' Place" where you currently have "Today's Special", you know, like it's your bistro or whatever. You could still have "Today's Special" below that. And, while I like the "Blue Plate" reinforcing the theme, the more I think about it I don't know what it adds beyond that...I mean it's not well defined as to what the blue plate is. Perhaps you could exchange the "blue plate" for the "tonight", and then add some additional menu items, whatever they may be...because "tonight" adds a dated element that might mislead. Also, the phone number, while very nicely done, is a little small and angled over to the side. You've got all that negative space, why not make the number a little more prominent.

Okay, I'm nodding out on my keyboard...goodnight, moon..........

"Dare to be Yourself" - André Gide
Merry Merchants of Voice Over!
Mendicant
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definite improvement! Here's what jumps out at me at first glance...
  • The whole text section on the right would probably work better if it were higher. I presume you're going to add custom text below "Greg Phelps Voiceovers", but right now you don't have much room. That leads into the next bit...
  • There's something that feels odd about the placement of the "Call Greg" piece. My gut tells me it would feel better in the lower-left corner of the larger pane, which would help to leave the space below "Greg Phelps Voiceovers" a bit cleaner.
  • You should probably play with the kerning on "Call Greg". There's almost no space between the L's in "Call," and it looks like "Cal".
  • The saturation of the GP logo is still a bit strong. The size and weight of the logo help it to stand out sufficiently IMO, so the strong color is unnecessary, and kinda detracts from the less saturated chalk theme you've got going on the rest of the layout.

Them's me thoughts. Overall, it looks really fun! Laugh
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me make a small observation. It deals mostly with the Diner Menu presentation.

Could it look more authentic with the appearance likened to a diner menu that you see on the wall?... black felt background with the "white" plastic lettering.

Or possibly a "red checkered" tablecloth background, with a "dinner menu" and a "dessert menu" lying on the table (as if a server had just set them down). Each menu could contain the same information you had previously listed.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternatives you mention are certainly interesting, Bailey, but it feels equally authentic in its current style. Have you not been to a place that has used chalkboards for their menus?
davidmonteath
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking site, but I found my eye constantly drawn to the bright purple logo bottom right.

Maybe its just me, but I didn't want to look to the left, I was just too aware of the logo.

David

Just seen Justin's comments above, he put it better. Wink

Sponsor of Voice APpreciation Indulgence Day 2010

Proud member of Self Appointed Voice-Over Experts Discussion Group - overenthusiastic pontification a speciality.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by jingo ... i like it.

i really like the way you've positioned it for dynamic information to appear (or not) in the open area.

Gp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone for the comments and input. I really appreciate your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: