VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO as your only source of income
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm available, full time. Very little VO work here. I get more modeling and on-camera work, but not enough to pay bills. A man's got to know his limits. I only drink two shots of tequilla for lunch these days. Breakfast or dinner is another matter. I work out of my house. My law office is in one bedroom. Studio in another. I mostly practice music, unless some client's messing with my time.

Lately, I've been doing personal VO stuff I wanted to get done a year ago just for fun.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BBeen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my head I always do the math on what it would take for me to do this full-time. I'm a dreamer but also a goal setter. My goal is to do this full time one day, in the meantime I need the full time job with health insurance. But one day, one day to paraphrase Harlan Hogan (I think) people will say "Get me Bud Been or somebody that sounds like Bud Been" Laugh

Were all allowed to dream cool
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBeen wrote:
But one day, one day to paraphrase Harlan Hogan (I think) people will say "Get me Bud Been or somebody that sounds like Bud Been" Laugh

One of the nicest compliments I've had was when a client asked my agent for "someone who sounds like Mike Rhys, only American"

Maiku

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnbailey wrote:
Nope, although I'd like to think I could if I only had more time to send out demos.

Deirdre wrote:
I'm a traffic reporter for Metro Networks, Boston-- that's my "day job" although it's not even slightly a "day" since I handle only afternoon drive.

Deirdre, didn't know that you're a fellow Metro slave, uh...er employee. I've been doing it for 12 years for WWJ in Detroit. Morning drive only, though, which is way better than afternoons!

Golly this is turning into an alumni meeting. I walked away from Metro News (and a little traffic) morning gig here in Houston three years ago. Gotta admit, I don't miss leaving for work at 3:30 am Laugh
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
One of the nicest compliments I've had was when a client asked my agent for "someone who sounds like Mike Rhys, only American"

I laffed at that, my friend.
Jolly good.
jeffgad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only source of income since 1984.
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK.

Voice work has been my only source of income since...1969. The University of Illinois radio service. It paid a pittance, but also waived tuition and fees (also a pittance, even in those days.) Stayed there for a few years, then moved on to my first TV station gig, WCIA-TV Champaign.

Ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

Jim
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entering into the spirit of the contest ...... That's all very well but I earn SO much more than any of you!!!! In a just world dances would be performed in my honour, a German opera composed to celebrate the magnitude of my income "Der große Geldmann".
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there was a composition written as testament to your constant self-aggrandizement:
Die Fledermouth.

I have--on occasion-- been known to be mistaken, however.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be the one. My suggestion was for an imaging based production - Mit Stings und whooshes. It's not self aggrandizement, everyone thinks I'm great and they admire the hugeness of my personality too. When I enter, people leave rooms in order to make space for it. Now that's what I call respect.
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johann Strauss would've enjoyed that version...I am sure of it!
SaVoa.org No. 09023
banjo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VO as your only source of income Reply with quote

SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer wrote:
I'm curious to know how many of you depend on voiceover work as your sole source of income. I sure don't, although I'd like to.

100%....VOs are it for me. 13 years and counting. Doing what I love and lovin' what I do.
Edo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story is more or less the same as Deirdre's... everything has to do with my voice, whether it's VO's or radio- and tv-stuff. I do however initiated another business (also in the broadcast industry). We started a press agency in 1999 to compete with the only one Holland had so far. We focused on producing final product, in our case custom newsbulletins for radio and tv-stations. We can be heard on 156 local and regional stations both commercial and public, as wel as 2 national stations in The Netherlands. Furthermore we service a station in The Dutch Antilles and two more stations in Spain and the Canary Islands. All of them in the Dutch language. We started in Flemish Belgium as well, so we're expanding a bit. It's getting pretty big now, we employ over 65 people. Furthermore we teamed up with the biggest names in the industry, like Associated Press, Reuters, Dow Jones and Infostrada Sports. This newsagency is in good hands by the people we hired... which leaves me time to try and not lose my voice :lol:

Still doing that voice thing on a daily basis on more or less every thinkable platform... I consider myself privileged for I'm turning 40 on the 25th of september with up to now 29 years of VO-experience... I got my first voice job at the age of 11, see?
CWToo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time ago, a guy who has been feelancing for nearly 50 years told me that a freelancer would be a fool not to have two or three income streams. This guy does voice overs, is a busy portrait artist and appears on TV shows (he was the regular judge on that Andy Griffith lawyer show).

So taking his advice to heart, I do voice overs and write/produce spots for advertising agencies. The two go hand in hand: voice over jobs have landed writing gigs and writing jobs have landed voice over gigs.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
...Gotta admit, I don't miss leaving for work at 3:30 am Laugh

I used to be an audio engineer, singer, and music producer. Got tired of the lifestyle (that includes hours)... so I too don't miss coming home form work at the crack of dawn.

I earn my living from producing radio spots and doing voice-over work - both fulltime from my "used-to-be-for-music" studio. (I don't have a home studio, because I love the idea of getting up and heading to my studio to work and leaving it all behind when I head home).

-Anthony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: