VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OLD DOG / NEW TRICK ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: OLD DOG / NEW TRICK ? Reply with quote

heck, i'll even settle for more clients hiring me to do the OLD tricks!

greetings, all

earlier i inquired about training recommendations to jumpstart what feels like a stagnated career. the consensus from those kind enough to respond was that i don't need "training" so much as "coaching" and "motivation".

there were also a few private messages of encouragement with specific ideas for help, which i am working to follow up on. part of that effort is a new general demo.

for those who came in late, i've been at this all my life, starting in what used to be Radio...branching off into freelance voice work/audio production/writing from my own home studio for the past 15 years. in my medium-size market, i'm considered the guy who's "made it". but that's just by default, and it means i really don't know where to turn for more experienced guidance...other than sources like this board.

the link below should go to an mp3 of my latest demo effort. before i try using it for a concerted marketing push, i'd appreciate any constructive comments. please note that i present myself more as a voice actor than an announcer. i've tried to load this piece with styles i get hired for, and a few others i think potential clients would find valuable (and not available from just anyone).

your own mileage may vary.

here's the link:

www.voices2go.com/transfer/newdemo

thanks to any and all for taking the time with this. i'm just too close to the project to know if i'm evaluating it well.
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
GWIII
Contributor II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may not be the best equipped to comment, but this sounds terrific to me....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Doc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowell,

Okay - so, you want some motivation? Here...

That is among the best demos I've EVER heard. The variety, quality, and innate vocal qualities are all there.

Send that puppy out! Today!!

Smile
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ! You're that guy!

Very fun. Most excellent.

Quote:
i've been at this all my life, starting in what used to be Radio...
Laugh
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: 'that guy' Reply with quote

yes, dear lady.

the utah symphony has been very, very good to me this past year.

thank you for listening to the end.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowell,

I hope you already know I'm one of your biggest fans (and when we get together in a couple of weeks, you'll understand that comment more completely); but I've taken the liberty of doing an edit to your demo to tighten it up to 60 seconds and to remove the slight stumble on the word "community" in the first bit.

http://bobsouer.com/pix/RowellGormonVoiceoverDemo_BobS-edit.mp3

I hope this is helpful, even if not really needed since you really are that good.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, master bob!

i know i sent a more detailed thanks via email, but wanted to post the highlights as a public acknowledgement of your kindness:

the re-edit is "above and beyond" and i do appreciate the time.

see...here's where i can learn! i spent all night shifting and whacking that first edit, but listening to your :60 version, i don't really notice that much stuff missing.

i'm guessing you think the island spot still shows enough of the generic "me" sound without being too "actor-y". that was one of the reasons i didn't lead with it, although another person thought it should have been closer to the front, as you did. (and yes, 'community' and all the other 'unities' are trouble words for me...i didn't notice the hitch here but certainly believe you and your ears.)

i did wonder a little about the 'french' bit, but wanted to include the symphony and it was the most concise bit i could find in any of the spots which had any real stand-alone value.

will be very interested in others' take on the streamlined version you've provided.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: