VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a Wireless Router

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tren Hester
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Need a Wireless Router Reply with quote

I need a router to connect my AA computer to DSL modem. A friend has D-Link equipment at work but has recommended LinkSys.

Are there any specs or potential issues I need to investigate?

As always, thanks for the great advice from this board. You all are the best!
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tren,

If you have Bellsouth DSL you'll have a Westell modem. The 6100 Westell modem is actually a router, so you can use a switch to connect all your computers to your Westell. I have two computers and a wireless Linksys connected using a switch.
Modem ---> Switch ---> Linksys.

Any wireless should work. I have a Linksys B wireless and a Lucent Technologies PCICMA card for my laptop.

You'll find more details at DSLReports and the details on connecting your modem here.
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of Linksys... easy setup, config, admin...
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using a NetGear wireless router with various D-Link wireless devices (Wireless ethernet adapter for ReplayTV, Wireless Print Servers for the printers). If I had to do it again, I'd buy D-Link, they just didn't have it at CompUSA when I went to pick it up.

On another note, I've owned several Linksys wireless routers and they all had problems. Ports died, wireless connectivity constantly dropped and I had to reboot it every other day. They're a bad buy in my book, but don't take my word, check out the reviews on DSLReports and the consumer reports sites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: