VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendations for an "One-The-Road" laptop studi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Recommendations for an "One-The-Road" laptop studi Reply with quote

I'm a PC user (no offense MACs) and have been considering a "mobile"
laptop set-up to take on the road. I would appreciate comments on your experience with your "mobile" set-up along with coments and suggestions on the system I'm considering:

A Dell Inspirion 9300 (1.6 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB), Windows XP Pro, 1GB Dual Channel DR2 SDRAM @ 533MHz 2 Dimm, 80GB 7200 rpm HD, 80 GB 7200rpm FireLite Firewire external HD, 2 IP/OP firewire-USB ports and either USB or Firwire audio interface. ( not sure on which yet)

Would be running C.E.P 2a or Audition with a couple of different software
plug-in packages.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's kind of a riot you're not on a MAC since your initials are MAC.

Heh.

Keeping cool?

We have had discussions about this, but I'm not exactly what keywords to use in a search. "Portable" gave me the the discussions about Mbox vs Spike.

I know there are folks here who take their rigs on the road. I expect you to get some dandy replies.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this up -- so the dandy replies deebs predicted can come a little faster....
CWToo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for an "One-The-Road" laptop s Reply with quote

banjo wrote:

A Dell Inspirion 9300
[snip]
Would be running C.E.P 2a or Audition with a couple of different software
plug-in packages.

My on the road package is a Dell Inspiron 6000, Digidesign Mbox, Pro Tools LE 6.9 and an Audio Technica AT2020. Oh, and a pair of compact Sony Headphones that were on sale at Best Buy.

My only complaint is about the little feet on the Mbox that makes it hard to pack.
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, forgive my ignorance, but using either the M-Box or Mackie Spike, is it necessary to use the enclosed dedicated software, or will these systems work on a PC laptop running Cool Edit 2K or Adobe Audition?

Also, of the two boxes, which is lighter/easier to travel with? Would a Dell 700m Inspiron laptop do the job?

Any suggestions for a packable mic, easy on the wallet, that will give results even slightly similar to a TLM 103?

Thanks
CWToo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballenberg wrote:
Um, forgive my ignorance, but using either the M-Box or Mackie Spike, is it necessary to use the enclosed dedicated software, or will these systems work on a PC laptop running Cool Edit 2K or Adobe Audition?

The Mbox works only with Pro Tools.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Mackie Spike Reply with quote

I like the Mackie Spike since it works with a lot of software and the foot rotates out of the way so you slip its slim profile into a laptop or othr bag. I has quality Mackie pre's, onboard processing too for gate, eq and comp. It comes with Tracktion II, but I prefer Adobe Audtion 1.5 or Sound Forge. It has a slimmer profile than the Mbox.

Greg
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: mackie spike Reply with quote

PS -- the other difference is that the Mackie Spike requires external power and has a wall wart wher the Mbox runs off power from your computer thru the USB port.

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: