VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Website design layout
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Website design layout Reply with quote

It was February of this year, that an earlier thread began regarding my attemps to get a website design critique. Much was learned... and also much was suggested about getting a personal website, and get off of Freewebs. I still have all that info... (it will happen when I get my head above water)... all I'm looking for know is suggestions/critique of the current design... layout... contents.

Mary (MCM) and I bounced a few ideas back and forth, and this is what I came up with.
The site can be viewed at JimsVoice.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

The one thing that jumps out at me is the "@" symbol in your links to Voices.com and Voice123.com. It makes those links look like email addresses. Perhaps "Jim on Voices.com" etc. would be a less confusing choice?

Otherwise, I think this is an interesting approach that's light years from where you were before.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim-

I don't have anything particularly positive to say, so I was hesitant to post at all. But here I am, I guess.

I really, really don't like the overall juvenile feel. And I don't like the "Cat got your tongue?" idea. It makes it look like you offer a service where you speak for people who are unwilling or unable to do so for themselves, like a Cyrano service.

Outside of you being terrific in general, I don't think that site has much to recommend it at this point. For what it's worth.

Last edited by asnively on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I apologise for not getting back to you with comments. I have to agree with Amy. But, I like the color scheme Smile

Some specific comments - I would have no site at all before I would use a free site whose ads takes up most of the view and require the viewer to scroll down to find you. Godaddy has got to have something that would fit your budget, especially considering the free route may cause you to lose work if anybody looking for talent visits your site.

The blurb needs better writing and a better sales pitch. What does "Think History Channel" mean? That your voice can be heard on the History Channel? That your voice would be heard on the History Channel if you had been hired instead of the guy they did hire? This kind of ambiguity doesn't help you.

You might do better to replace the cat with a circle of characters that represent your voice - the guy leaning against the hay bale, the coat and tie guy, the guy next door. Since budget is an issue, maybe you could find an art student who could help.

There is no reason I can think of to include links to your pages at voices.com or v123.

For now, I would eliminate everything below your demo links and just use the site as a place to park the demos while you recruit resources, but please consider investing the small amount of money it would take to get yourself professional hosting.
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that most ISP's offer free web space for your use. I know that Cox Cable offers 10 MB's per e-mail account. Earthlink and AT&T dial up gives you 10 MB of space. Many offer free site building software. Your domain can point to these sites.
Bailey
4 Large

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob... Your suggested change was considered, until I read Mary’s comment on deletion of the links to Voices and V123. In one way, it makes sense… if you only sell licorice, why include links to another candy store on your website.

Amy... The idea behind “Cat got your tongue” started three years ago (I realize the saying is older than that.) When I explained it to Penny, I told her that I was implying that the Cat had the client’s tongue… Meaning the client wanted to advertise his product or service, but he didn’t have the tongue (or voice) to get his message across. I was trying to assure the client of my talent by saying "Let me do the talking".

Mary... The reference to History channel was only for a vocal comparison... compared to voices being heard on Discovery or History Channel. The circle of characters image sounds interesting. At this time I will consider eliminating the other voice sites and removing the DC and HC references.

Bill... I am with AT&T (The domain is registered with AT&T also.). I think the free space they offer is Geocities. I currently use Geocities as a placeholder for stuff I post on VO-BB.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions... Batter up!
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you were trying to do and why. I was trying to share with you that I didn't think it was working and why.

Last edited by asnively on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bailey!

You may be right. I'm actually with BellSouth and (the new..haha) AT&T has bought them. If you're with the original AT&T, I did found this information page that allows you to register with your at&t e-mail address. It reads you get up to 150 MB of web space.

I use two web hosts. One main and one backup. HostGator is the main and the backup is with an Atlanta company named A Small Orange that offers 75 MB of web space plus 3 GB of bandwidth a month for $25 a year on a shared server. A Forum named Web Hosting Talk is a great place to read real comments from hands on users of different hosts and customers. Many owners of these companies frequent the board, answer questions and solve problems. Another thing to look for is an active forum with the host. Good communications and problem solving = a strong reliable host.

My main concern are the web ads on the site. If they don't bother you then that's cool. The web site is the most important tool for my business outside of the computer and the microphone. I go overboard with information just to make people feel comfortable. Others here have beautiful, yet minimal sites. I hope you find something here helpful.
MuseVox
Contributor II

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahoo! Small Business has a deal going on right now... (or at least they're making it LOOK like a deal.)

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/compare.php

You'd be paying $9 for two months of hosting ($4.50ish a month) and since there is no contract, you aren't having to commit to anything. No sign up fee, either. Nine bucks to get you going. Use your own design or one of their templates. I'm putting together a site for some farm land I'm selling, and God willing I won't need a site longer than a couple months.

For the musevoxvoiceovers.com site, I am using 1and1.com for hosting.

And Jim, inasmuch as I'm a big ol' kitty person, I'm not feeling this image or the Comic Sans font for you.

Blessings and best of luck - I'm in my own version of website purgatory, so I feel for you.

~Sarah
Bailey
4 Large

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... the cat is dead... and the Comic Sans font is gone.
That leaves... who I am, what I do, and what I sound like.

(This is a tough room.)... Batter up!
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just wanted to give my two cents... you can give me change back if you want. (he he).

While Comic Sans is a very common font and you may not want to use it for whatever reason, the font you use should be a sans serif font. Try Verdana.

Smile Caryn

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bailey...
My $0.02:
I would replace "Americanized" with "U.S. English" if you want to make the distinction at all....

Li
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is always a tough room when it comes to site design. Congratulations though...no "mic pix"! (one sin I've committed...) Rolls Eyes

Unless you're trying to do this for $0, why not post on elance and get some bids. Honestly there are folks out there who will do a very good job for very reasonable rates. I'm going back to my original designer for an update/freshening...including all of the critique that the group here has so generously given. I do mean that folks. Smile
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My site a godaddy site thru hooyano.com. The first year you get all kinds of discounts, etc.... I think I paid around $125 for 3 domain names, the site (5 page), 1000GB email box, search engine stuff, and some other stuff, I think. The second year was more... I think it came in around $180 for everything. I did the site myself with their templates and content management tool (graphic artist did the logo... I knew what I wanted, so I went to logojeez.com and gave pretty specific direction -- think that was around $250, and then I paid a local graphic artist to clean it up a bit).

Good luck with this!!!

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. Do some shopping. Site was under 100...hosting with a 1gb transfer rate and 3gb of space for the site and ftp is right around 180 or so.
That's with Go Daddy. Great tech support btw.

The site is an instant link to send to new "cold call" clients, I get random hits and inquirys on a fairly regular basis plus the server gets constant use for file transfers.

Good investment...and a write off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: