VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacation Time and Session Availability--Comments?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Vacation Time and Session Availability--Comments? Reply with quote

I'm a full time VO guy new to the board and would like to get some real world input on this idea. Like most of us, I consider being available for sessions/auditions as much as possible a very good thing. It seems as soon as you put in an outage...here comes a session that you don't want to pass on. I recently built a 2nd home/vacation cottage on the Outer Banks of NC. Since I wanted to spend tme there, I put in a Whisper Room w/Telos Xstream and assosciated gear. The gear is outboard of the 4x4 room in a Raxess roll around. I've been using the setup for most of the year and it works beautifully. I did a lot of "what ifs?" prior to setting it up and so far, so good. The cottage is presently in a Summer rental program for "regular" renters and doing well. Question is this....Is there any interest to vacation and still be available for sessions/auditions? I did a test run last week with a talent I work with and it worked as designed.She pretty much paid for the rental by being available. It's fairly "jockproof", pardon the expression. I do the setup when they check in, explain the operation, and break it down afterwards.
Any idea/comments welcome.

Thanks

North[/b]
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea NEV! Personally I have a little briefcase with everything I need to be effective. I have been in Mexico, Canada, Las Vegas - the one in Nevada, California - both Lo-cal and No-cal, Minnesota, Michagan... and other locations where I have paid for my "vacation" by doing a little gig or two.

O.K., so it takes an hour or two of my much cherished vacation time. It was worth it.

Your concept of having a destination VO holiday is not a bad idea. My guest condo here in Park City, Utah is my little get-away. Feel free to drop-in if you are in the area....

Frank F
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North,

I grew up in Idaho and periodically return there for vacation. The location I go to is about two hours from Sun Valley in a city called Stanley. You basically have to be from Idaho to know it even exists because the town population is 141, and that's during the summer.

One couple moved in a few years back from "California" and built a recording studio, utilizing talent visiting Sun Valley's numerous acting schools. If I remember right, they had a 24 channel Neve console and two Zephyrs running through a ProTools setup. They really created a nice bed and breakfast setup, built in to a mountain log cabin. There was even a vintage Airstream for additional living quarters for those who desired that experience.

How much use their studio gets, I have no clue, but they were booked for eight months when I was there last. The owners did say many of the guests just wanted "access" in case it was needed.

It seems like a great idea if you ask me ... by the way, if you're near VA Beach, let me know.

Kevin
lisaloo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea -- if you have a website, you could always post the location, pics and rates. If it's a great destination with reliable ISDN, I'd imagine you'd never have trouble keeping it full!

Lisa
chezdan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever know that you're my hero??

Seriously, we routinely vacation in South Nag's Head (MP21), but are always on the lookout for new places. (We usually rent through Kitty Dunes Realty.) I'm not full-time yet and don't have enough clients that I can't disappear for a week or two unnoticed. Maybe that'll change by next year's rental season.

Drop me an email with details/photos.

Thanks,
Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: