VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you tell me if I'm pukin'?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock N Roll Joel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Can you tell me if I'm pukin'? Reply with quote

The spot labeled "Contractor".

http://joelvox.voices.com/
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say you're puking, but you sound like a DJ ripping through a radio spot. Is this what you're shooting for?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on the edge of puke-dom.

I could barely stand to listen all the way thru because it was so chaotic.
Dang. Everything but the kitchen sink-- and I can't tell you what K-bar-K (that was the client yes?) does.
"Ride the mechanical bull" is the only thing I can recall.

I know you're asking about your read, but it's hard to separate the read from the message itself.
It's not the kind of thing I'd recommend using to promote yourself.

Last edited by Deirdre on Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rock N Roll Joel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Right on the edge of puke-dom.

I could barely stand to listen all the way thru because it was so chaotic.
Dang. Everything but the kitchen sink-- and I can't tell you what K-bar-K (that was the client yes?) does.
"Ride the mechanical bull" is the only thing I can recall.

Yeah, that's how they wanted it...I think they intend to run the damn thing about 700 times a day.
Rock N Roll Joel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyKafer wrote:
I wouldn't say you're puking, but you sound like a DJ ripping through a radio spot. Is this what you're shooting for?

Still trying to take the radio out of my voice.

It's a long process killing a 20 year old habit.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a radio DJ to me. I'm afraid I'll have to concur with DB. Sometimes that's what people want, and when they want that, they usually just get the DJ to do it at the end of his shift and buy his lunch the next day. Maybe.

By the way, do you really want your street address on your Voices page?

Last edited by asnively on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Rock N Roll Joel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asnively wrote:

By the way, do you really want your street address on your Voices page?

Good catch!
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock N Roll Joel wrote:
Still trying to take the radio out of my voice.

If I had a nickel for everytime I read that somewhere, I'd surely have close to a buck by now.

There seems to be this perception that just because you're a radio personality, you'll naturally make a good voice-over artist. I listen to the DJs who sound fine doing their DJ.... thing. And then they are given an ad to read and most times they absolutely suck. They can't interpret copy. They can't deliver real emotion. They can't ACT. Because doing jock work and doing good VO work are completely unrelated beasts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you suck. I'm not suggesting you stop trying to be a VO. I'm just saying that your 20 years of radio experience will not make you a better VO artist.

My apologies if this comes across as harsh. It isn't meant to be. Just bein' straight with ya.
Rock N Roll Joel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyKafer wrote:

My apologies if this comes across as harsh. It isn't meant to be. Just bein' straight with ya.

Not at all...that's why I'm here.
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the highest paid voice talents are ex jocks. Joe Cipriano, Beau Weaver, Charlie Van Dyke, the late Chuck Riley, Chris Corley, and tons of local and regional guys.

Broadcast commercial clients want the "sell" in the delivery of their copy.

Local and National are two different categories. National is all about
"branding"(Ford Motor Company). Local is about "selling" (Smith Ford).
VO's who can "sell" can make a lot of money.

So, Rock & Roll Joel...put together a great "local" auto demo and make some money. There's thousands of dealerships and hundreds of production houses doing them. Your delivery will work well for that.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Campbell wrote:
Some of the highest paid voice talents are ex jocks. Joe Cipriano, Beau Weaver, Charlie Van Dyke, the late Chuck Riley, Chris Corley, and tons of local and regional guys.

Fair enough, but they're not successful because they are ex-radio jocks. They're successful because they are great VO artists.

That said, I do hope RnR Joel puts together a great demo and lets us hear it. I'm rooting for him.
Doc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth is... many (interpreted as most) deejays never developed an interest in commercial production. Many also truly dislike even having to read live commercial copy on-air. While I love doing my radio show, I always had an even larger passion for voiceover and commercial production. Come to think of it, it's quite difficult to GET interested in commercial production when 90% of all radio studio commercial copy is written either by the salespeople or the clients themselves.

Here's an adage I've lived by my entire career. "Make you a deal... YOU don't write (voice, direct, perform, etc.) commercial scripts and I won't sell cars (toasters, log cabins, etc.)!"

Makes perfect sense to me.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two observations...

1) Give the client what they want... and take the money.

2) Don't use only one type of delivery when creating a demo. Show some variety.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To paraphrase the Buggles "Radio kills the VO star". It's a long hard habit to break (been there)- getting that radio/dj delivery out of your voice. I have a theater degree with a concentration in acting, then spent many too many moons in radio - so I got what one VO instructor- called "a smiley plastic veneer" on all my voice overs. But you CAN get ride of it. The dj delivery comes partly from being a machine - being handed stacks of spots to rip off after your shift - so it's mechanical. That's the first problem.

But the hardest hurdle to get over is learning to act as a VO. Breathing life into the words and (here comes the cliche) lifting them off of the page.

Someone put it really well at Voice (and I'll be darned if I can remember who said this, but it really struck home)...clients who advertise on radio see it as a plus that the "radio personality" is delivering their message. So you are selling yourself (as the DJ Voice) and delivering their message. As VO Actors, we need to make ourselves transparent. We are just the conduit of information...and that conduit has to be different for each job in order to reach a different ear.

hope this helps.
moe
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel--There is true am radio essence there. So practicing voicing commercials or any other copy to get as far away from that as possible is a good start.

As for the radio dj sound and philosophies shared in this thread, if you've not worked in radio, you may not have an accurate picture. (BTW, the collective 'you'.) When you're done with a 4 or 5 hour shift spinning the greatest rock songs of all time, you face a pile of production (5 or 6 or 7 spots). It's nearly always bad, radio-salesperson-written copy, and the backing music comes off one of the remaining 4 discs in a formerly 20-CD set of dusty, overused, outdated production cuts. When you're about done cranking out the spots, which all sound pretty much the same, someone will come in the studio and ask you to "do this quick favor." Add some time if the spot needs sfx (should take about an hour to either find the disc or create your own sfx), and more time if you need the receptionist to do a quick line (should take about a half hour for said receptionist to nail it). Don't forget to call the client, explain the high-tech way in which s/he can listen to the brilliance in his or her midst, hold up the phone receiver to the monitor, play it, get approval (fingers crossed), put it into DAD or whatever digital system, refresh, and wow! you've just made radio magic while simultaneously helping the client make more money in his/her business. Because you're that good.

this is not a blog.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: