VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Narration Demo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very humble opinions...

I don't think using "big names" is a problem...I know there are clearly two sides to this camp, but I think it's fine. If you're trying to get work, you wanna go with McDonald's, Budweiser, BMW, not Joe's Bailbonds, House of Weiners and Century Used Cars.

People in the biz KNOW that there are "fakes" on peoples' demos...it's a show of what you're capable of and they know that. Now, if somebody asks, of course I wouldn't recommend that anybody lie and say they voiced a commercial they didn't, but I've never been asked, either.

Second, I wasn't crazy about the IBM read, either, but only because I felt like you were pushing too much...it felt a bit stiff and kind of forced, whereas some of the other reads didn't.

Also, I kinda feel like this sounded more like a promo / commercial demo than a narration demo. Lots of narration demos I've listened to had little or no music, whereas these felt over-produced to me, given that it's a narration demo, but that's just me.

As others have said, you're definitely a talented guy, so make sure your demo works for you and not against you Smile

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Donovan,

Names or no-names, copy selection, order, music or no music... although worthy of attention aren't my concern at this point. Lou beat me to it... and I think others made similar comments... quite frankly... this didn't sound like a narration demo. This effort is in no way reflective of what you are capable of doing. I'm confident you can do it ... your commercial demo was top drawer... but this narration demo shouldn't escape your studio.

All the best,

Dave
Donovan
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your comments. This is why I posted it here first. This was simply a rough draft. I needed to know what direction to go in from here. Trust me, this demo, as it is now, will NOT leave my studio. But the culmination of your thoughts and advice will.

I will be working on this throughout the week and hope that I can post the newer version and still get as much insight and candor.

To Frank, and anyone else who declines from posting in this forum because they are worried about hurting the feelings of others: PLEASE RECONSIDER!

This industry, and frankly this board, needs more honest reviews and criticism. Sugar-coating your assessments will get us nowhere. If a demo needs work, let it be known! By all means, if you think anything I put out is terrible, say so! It's the only way to get better. Continue challenging yourself and others by bringing reality to the forefront. Nothing has to be done rudely ("Your demo sucks, stick to your day job!"), but constructive criticism helps everyone involved. And if a person can't take hearing where they need to improve...then sorry...you are in the wrong profession.

That being said, keep the critiques real and constant. We can ALL get better in some way or another. Like I said earlier, I hope to get more of the same when I post my improved demo later.

Thanks once again to all of you.

www.DonovanVO.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Hmmm...a lot said here Reply with quote

D- did you have someone directing you? That may be an idea to get more out of your reads. Just athought. You have the talent. A good director (there are some here on the vo-bb) can bring the best out of you.

greg@gregorybest.com
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a producer/ director for my demos.

It's worth the cost. I love myself far too much to hear some of the things that should leave MY studio.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But don't panic as it gets easier. Trotting through life, humming light opera with a nimble gait and a spring in your step rather like a young girl on her way to school picking wild flowers you will be able to pick audio as your career blossoms.

Producer "I heard a piece on your narration demo for the International Ball Bearing Greasers Awards Ceremony in Aberlour, did you do that?"

You "Indeed Sir I did!"

Producer "May I enquire as to the genuineosity of the promotion for Moores Exploding Fudge Cake?"

You "Sir, you may. T'was I! Voiced for 9 guineas 8 shillings and threepence plus my tram fare back to my lodgings."

Producer "I doff my boater to you stout fellow and offer you several engagements without any further ado and people may call me Elizabeth Shue if I speak a lie!"

You "Rapture, joy and pleasure. I am in your debt Sir. By way of celebration I make my way now to the nearest Lyons Tea shop for a pot of Twinings Asam and two slices of Madiera cake."

(Of course anyone not from North Carolina won't understand a word)
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like Philip's been eavesdropping on me. I'm searching my studio for bugs.

Last edited by asnively on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Donovan
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so after some direction and more careful copy selection, I present my finished narration demo.

The link is the same as on the first page:

http://www.doncopro.com/demos/Donovan_Corneetz_Narr_Demo.mp3

Thanks for all of your comments. Hopefully, this won't cause any more drama. Inoccent

www.DonovanVO.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more drama!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: