VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISDN - Questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: ISDN - Questions Reply with quote

Just about ready to jump into the ISDN boat.

What do I need to look for? How much does it cost you? Where can I get the equipment without paying tons?

Justin
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.audiotx.com will tell you all you need to know. I've been using the AudioTX software based codec for a few years without problems. My first big black box codec cost me $10,000 and now with a PC upgrade I have something that does a better job, the cost was around $800.
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at the AudioTX page for quite a while. Besides the software, is there any additional hardware needed? ISDN Card?

What about line costs both monthly and Usage?

Do I need 1 or 2 lines? Or is it 1 fee for both lines?

What are the basics for ordering that I need to keep in mind?

Anything else you'd like to add?
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one comment.

Why do you feel you need ISDN? Do you have clients who have guaranteed you paying work if only you can provide an ISDN studio? Or are you considering this purchase so that you can market your talent in far away areas?

Both of these reasons are valid, but be aware that with the common use of high quality mp3 audio, FTP sites, etc. the demand for ISDN is not nearly what it used to be. I've had ISDN for 10 years, and I can chart a downward spiral for the last 5 years. Mind you, I still use it, just not nearly as much as I used to. And every month those phone charges and the cost of that $1000-3000 ISDN paperweight have to be paid.

I only want to warn you not to think that by hanging an ISDN shingle outside your virtual storefront, clients will come flocking to your door. There are too many other high quality and cheaper options out there.

Jim
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the point where I am turning down work monthly that would more than cover the costs of ISDN. I hate to lose work like that.

Justin
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,
You do need two "lines". ISDN is a paired 64-bit set of clean transmission lines and each requires a phone number.

I don't know about Audio TX because
A) I have a Mac and
B) I already had the Zephyr when the technology became available.

The Telos products (Zephyr, Prima) allow for a great number of CODEC protocols to be used. Different studios across the globe have differing requirements so the object is to be as flexible as possible.

If you DO want a hardware CODEC, Ebay is your friend.

Just call the telephone company that serves your area and let them know you need a BROADCAST or VOICE ISDN installation. Most TelCo people will otherwise assume you want it for internet applications.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern about ISDN at this point is future availability in my area. At the first of the year I had made it far enough in the auditioning process with a company that the only thing in the way of working for them or not was my not having ISDN. The expenses, $52 per line per month, $3,000 for a codec certainly gave me pause. But that wasn't the deal killer. The rep at my telco kept repeating that SBC wasn't going to be offering any kind of ISDN after about a year or so. "Old technology." SBC is throwing all it's R&D and $$$$$$$$$ into broadband video and audio service...that is, going toe-to-toe with the cable companies. He suggested I wait as it wouldn't be long before optic fiber would change the entire landscape.

Already, the cable companies are running ads to get people to call Austin to block SBC's plans.

I'm gonna wait for it all to play out.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another consideration is how far you are from the TelCo Central Office, where your area's mainframe is.

You need to be within 1,000 wire feet of the C.O. or the cost gets jacked up.
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DB, I'm looking at the AudioTX app and it looks like a decent solution that I can put on a separate box. Is there anyone who is using it that can offer the answer to the following question.

I see that we need an ISDN card. No problem, e-bay has the recommended cards for 5-10 bucks. Do I need 1 or 2 for the dual ISDN channels?

Justin
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrkaiser wrote:
I'm at the point where I am turning down work monthly that would more than cover the costs of ISDN. I hate to lose work like that.

Justin

Costs?
AudioTX Communicator, ISDN card, NT-1 adapter -- around $1,400.
PC to make it work -- $250 - $300 (used)

In Northern California ...

Local telco install -- $250 (SBC)
Local telco recurring -- $ 60/mo (SBC)
Long distance circuit (outgoing) -- $0.70/minute (MCI)

For my circuit, I run the AudioTX Communicator in the same PC as my DAW. However, I use a separate sound card for the AudioTX side of things. You can probably use an older P2 or P3 based PC if you dedicate a computer for ISDN. That's recommended.

Monthly, cost is less than $50. However, if you purchase the right TA (terminal adapter), you can connect a plain old telephone to the thing and use one line as a regular telephone line when not using ISDN for sessions. The TA will probably cost about $300 +. But, assuming you're paying for an additional line for your business, it might present some economy if for nothing more than a dedicated FAX line.

As has been pointed out, things are changing. And, ISDN availability does not win business.

So, you can do your ROI. Roughly, you can probably get rolling for about $1,800. If you're turning down that much work a month, it's a no brainer.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrkaiser wrote:
Thanks DB, I'm looking at the AudioTX app and it looks like a decent solution that I can put on a separate box. Is there anyone who is using it that can offer the answer to the following question.

I see that we need an ISDN card. No problem, e-bay has the recommended cards for 5-10 bucks. Do I need 1 or 2 for the dual ISDN channels?

Justin

Be very careful on that one. There is an adapter that goes between the ISDN card and the junction box on the wall, called an NT-1 adapter. Protocols must be correct. There may be compatibility issues. Additionally, there are some USB solutions, too.

I looked for ISDN cards and, ultimately, got the least expensive one recommended by AudioTX from AudioTX. You can also get 'em from Digifone. I've had no problems.

You only need one ISDN card.
[url=http://musicamusa.com/faq2.htm]
Musicamusa[/url] and Digifone have basic info you should review.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie, Much appreciated!

Justin
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,

I haven't gone ISDN yet either although I had the occasional request. One of the points made earlier is certainly true: ISDN is rapidly becoming an "old" technology to be replaced by DSL. So, buying into an old technology is really an issue unless the workload justifies the expense and amortizes your investment within a very short period of time. Plus, Broadband (DSL, Satellite, Wireless etc.) allowed VoIP to made enormous progress. For those two reasons alone I would definately look at the AudioTX Communicator(?) because it not only gives you the ISDN capabilities you may want right now but also VoIP recording as that technology improves further. That way, when ISDN goes out of style, your equipment is not rendered useless.

BTW, I do must of my long distance calling in the US/Canada and to Germany via VoIP - www.sipphone.com - at about 2 cents a minute to land lines (PSTNs) and free of any charge to other SIP/VoIP account holders such as Frank F with whom I had a very nice conversation testing my sipphone.com setup. I love it. Sound quality is so much better that POTS and I rarely have echo problems.

Best,
Bernard
SaVoa.org No. 09023

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one other factor to consider: Taxes!!!!

To stimulate the economy, the current administration's tax bill included a provision that would permit a $100,000 credit for equipment purchased for business. That was a couple of years ago and I believe it may have been extended an additional year.

I'm not sure if you can get the deduction for 2005, but you should check it out. Essentially, you could depreciate the entire cost of new equipment in one year. I donno. Could be a deduction or a credit. In any event, if it is still possible to take the tax credit for new equipment, you may be able to deduct the cost of the codec 1:1 for ever dollar earned.

Anybody have insight on the tax aspect?

C
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's better to amortize gear over a period of years. My accountant tells me trying to do a fat chunk deduction like that sends red flags flying' at the IRS office.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: