VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pro Tools 4-band EQ "pop filter"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidmonteath
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are great, I can see me messing about with some settings tonight. I have some nice Focusrite Plug-ins that have been crying out for use. Wink

Sponsor of Voice APpreciation Indulgence Day 2010

Proud member of Self Appointed Voice-Over Experts Discussion Group - overenthusiastic pontification a speciality.
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I printed out a copy of DB's example some time back- Could've been another thread. This is great, but I rarely have problems with plosives.

In a similar vein, in ProTools, by using the 4 band EQ, would this setting also be good for removing any background noise, like a fan or an air conditioner?

Or would it require some use of compression? If anybody has some ProTools settings to show, share, or a work around, lemme know. Gracias!
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobbin, this setting would not be good for removing background noise. Also the setting should only be used on the portion of your audio that has the plosive. So you would need to do a slice or selection of the portion where the plosive occurs and apply the EQ setting to just that portion. Otherwise, your audio will not sound right in the rest of the take.

Some apps may have a way to establish a "noise print". If you are having issues with background noise and need to get rid of it...you can record some of your room ambience at the beginning of your session. Then you can go select that ambient portion and set it as your noise print and then go in and reduce noise. It works like a charm when you record audio for video and you have vents etc that are out of your control. I know that Soundtrack Pro has this option....it came with my Final Cut Pro Studio Suite (video editing application) and I use it a lot for removing ambient, unwanted noise for audio for video.

I don't think Pro Tools has this option. I will check though.

the only other option would be a well set up gate. But even that can be noticable on dry tracks or if your ambient noise level is way out of control.

The best solution....get a booth (which I thought you had just built) or turn off the fans/AC/fridge..or whatever is causing the noise.

Jeepers...another long post. What has gotten in to me?

Hope the info helps.

Ben

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeepers...another long post. What has gotten in to me?

you could split it in two, ben, and boost your post count. Inoccent
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dianne, you slay me.

Pro Tools has DINR LE
Digidesign Intelligent Noise Reduction

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=122&langid=100&itemid=4341

It's a $500 plug-in.

If you've got room noise, you've got to kill the noise. Removing it afterward just leads to artifacting and crappy sound.

I turn off the frige when I record, and the furnace as well in the wintertime. You don't need a dead space, but you DO need a quiet one.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are always thinkin' D-Mags. That is why you are the best of the best.

Wink Wink Wink

Suprisingly DB, the Soundtrack Pro noise reduction works really well. I even ran a test in my studio room...outside of my booth and left the AC going etc (just to put it through the paces) and it removed it suprisingly well.

It leaves the audio (voice) alone and removes much, if not all the unwanted ambience. YMMV. But yes I agree, removing the noise source...always the best route.

Maybe I'll throw up an A/B comparison in a noise filled room.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a $500 plug-in.

Think I'll opt for recording in the morning hours on hottest summer days before the AC goes on. My home gets pretty toasty after 2:00. The vent is directly above my booth, which is not 100% sound proof.

And while recording with all my "hot air", I promise I won't sweat, I'll merely glisten.

BTW, is that you Deebs in your new avatar or some KISS groupie- or both?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: