VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snobs!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Den

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Snobs! Reply with quote

"Like....oh - my - Gawd..what is WRONG with you! Did you totally flip your eggs 'freak-side up' this morning?"
This is my standard, professional reply when contacting certain individuals or their 'screeners'.

Not to get too negative, but how do you deal with attitude when simply trying to connect with somebody? Granted, many are busy, get the same kinds of people / questions asked many times per day, but if your job is to answer the phone and / or deal with that - doesn't logic suggest that you should be good at that? Have a standard reply? I had a conversation with a woman about a normal question, to which she snapped "I get asked that 100 times a day, and everybody complains about the same thing..."
My answer, "then why don't you have a polite and helpful answer by now?"

There are many ways to "blow somebody off" without insulting them or treating them like scum off the bottom of your shoes. In my day job, which is not reception, I get the same 100 calls. I let them speak. I politely direct them to wherever it is they should actually go, or give them something to do. It's easy. For example, "Like, I do really funny voices and my friends say I should be the next Homer Simpson?". I'll say "sure..uh huh" and ask them if they have a demo - without insulting them. When they ask "what's a demo", I simply tell them to call XXX and that will get them on the track and make them go do something - which most don't. It's in the tone of the voice, as you know.
There's no need to be rude or talk down to people, especially if they're giving you respect and just wanting to leave a message or ask a question. If they ARE rude or stupid, then it's open season as far as I'm concerned. Send them to that lady I just mentioned above.

Anyway, my rant isn't with you, it's a question of what encounters you have had, and how you deal with them.

(PS - my friend just bailed on me for a John Hiatt concert. First one to call in the next 2 hours gets 'em!)

-den
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Den" is NOT a guest. Den is crashing on Deeb's virtual couch until she kicks me out. FYI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: