VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating my logo
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indymandy
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Creating my logo Reply with quote

I'm horrible at manipulating my own website; I'm amazed that I got this to work. Sorry if the sizing, etc. isn't optimum for you to see. But that's (for now) beside the point...

Here are some images that a designer has come up with as a logo idea for me. I've had interesting and varied feedback so far from other select groups. I'd like to hear yours.

Bracing myself.....
Amanda

P.S. I'll be changing my title to Voice Artist
richgates

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mandy,

I think it is pretty good, but everything I'm reading/hearing, etc. is to avoid branding yourself with microphones or mouths or a combination of the two. According to the agents I've talked to, it is cliche and makes you look like an amateur. That said, I still have a Mic on my website although subtle.

I am looking for the right branding still and will be redoing my design once I find my signature voice/style.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very sexy and looks a bit like Amy Snively's. Nicely done. But, are you sure you want to go with the traditional old-school Microphone motif? It seems that everyone's doing it, so why not break from the pack and do something different?
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like number two. Whether it's intentional or not, sex sells.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally really like it. I think the criticism of using a mic pertains to just having the mic by itself, and using the same picture everyone else seems to use. I think doing something cool with a microphone is allowed. It certainly gets the point across: "Woman with microphone available."

Last edited by asnively on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda,

All 3 look good to me. My one thought for you is that the way you have the mouth and microphone positioned relative to one another, it looks like she doesn't know how to speak into a microphone. One would always use the "grills" never the side like that.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marketing and trends aside, from a graphic design standpoint, i like #2.

richgates

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand Amy, and it isn't a personal criticism. I'm just sharing what I've learned from a number of people in the industry. It's all a matter of opinion really, and ultimately it is your talent that is the most important.

I've seen some truly hideous websites for voice talents that are very successful. For me I just want every aspect of my voiceover business to show quality hence some changes coming to my personal branding and a reworking of my demo.

Someone I'm working with said something that really rings true for me. What about my branding or demo says anything about me? What sets me apart from the multitude of people trying to make it in this industry.

It's clear to me that you've done that Amy. Smile For me that is still a WIP, so I am going to choose personal branding that won't be thought of as generic. Again not saying yours is, but mine certainly was.
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Design-wise, I also like 2 the most.

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
indymandy
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone for your input! My first take is that it looks like its more for singing than VO. Trying to see if there's a way to tweak that. I also understand that it is on the sexier side; I think I can live with that.

I also told my designer 'I'd prefer not to use a microphone. If we do, it''ll have to be something very creative that makes up for it.' But, this is one of the first things he came up with, and I actually liked it.

Certainly, there are many things to consider when putting your image together. Thanks for your 2 cents!

Amanda
richgates

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely nothing wrong with sexy, especially if that is part of your signature sound. Smile
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely has a "Gal Singer With a Big Band" kind of look.

I like the smiling mouth-- the mic is the wrong one to use, it's too Frank Sinatra.

I'm not sure you need a mic at all, actually. It's all about the voice TALKING. The voice RECORDING is part of the unseen magic we do.
JimRon
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think if you have a mouth and a mic alone, it'll always appear to be singing. first, vo second but you have "voice over actress" right there underneath, so there's no mistaking what you do.

aside from that, i agree with bob that if you do use that mic, you should use a version of the pic that has you talking into it properly. or what if he flipped the mouth so you're talking from the left side of the mic? will save time having to try to find another stock photo.

as far as a fav... i like #1 best. layout is nice. and it cuts out a lot of the white space. #2 is next... like how the bar at the bottom draws the eye to what you do. not too crazy about #3... that space to the right of the mic just seems like wasted space, and your designer tried to jazz it up with a second color tone cause there was nothing else to put there.

jimron
Facebook: www.facebook.com/JimFeldmanVoiceovers
Bill

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like number 1 for layout, but the background color behind the text is darker than in the other two. and I prefer the lighter color. It seems it would be easier, in that layout, to place in a variety of media.

I know many say the use of a mic is trite and hackneyed, and it may be (things get that way for a reason) .You also have to think of your audience. , IMHO a mic graphic is appropriate, it's recognizable and transmits information quickly. Sames a heavy equipment operator or construction company may have a graphic of a crane on their literature, or an airline with a plane, prop, or some other "tool of the trade."

just my buck 380.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys-- the reason for my unending advice against the use of a mic in a graphic layout is because we were in the business of using our imaginations.

Nothing screams "old-and-busted" more than a single mic graphic.
A piece of a person talking into a mic isn't much more imaginative.

As I have said in my "Rules" topic:
I say these things with the full knowlege that some of my best pals on this board, some of the people I admire most, break some or all of the "rules"-- some of these folks are so astonishingly good they'd be great on a cassette demo, so they can do whatever they damned well please.

Last edited by Deirdre on Fri May 04, 2007 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: