VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I just need a second opinion -sheesh, what a day
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: I just need a second opinion -sheesh, what a day Reply with quote

I had a request yesterday to do 4 15-second VOs. They were really 2 pairs of VOs, each member of the pair being very similar, so I charged less than what I would usually charge for 1 minute of corporate-type narration. The client was enthusiastic about the test read I did, so I completed the job, he requested an invoice and I sent it, all very efficient and jolly.

Two hours later, I get a "sorry, the client decided they just wanted 2 voiceovers. Could you just do these two scripts and bill us accordingly?"

I would run this by the client of course, but wouldn't you think I should bill this as a new job? The scripts are very similar to what I already did, so I don't mind discounting this job also, but I really thought I was finished 2 hours ago. I am hoping that "bill us accordingly" means, for what you already did plus this, rather than, bill us for only these new scripts.

Last edited by mcm on Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stuff you did WAS approved.
THEN the client changed his mind.

You can give a discount if you want, but the new scripts are a new job.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DB.

I would get clarification from the client before proceeding. And whatever they have to say, they owe you for the work you have already completed, had approved and invoiced. At the end of the day, how are you supposed to know that they haven't decided to go with 6 slightly different versions of the script instead of the original 4?

Good luck

Simon
Simon Fellows
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn - not logged in yet again :oops:
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New job. Bill accordingly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
billelder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked for a second opinion once. The client said, "Ok..you're UGLY, too!" LOL
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you had already billed for the first set I can only imagine that "..bill us accordingly." refers to the second set as a seperate job.

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Sheesh, what a day. Reply with quote

Thank-you all for giving me the strength of my convictions.

What a day - it started out beautifully, 1) with a lovely email from a client for whom I'd done a VO yesterday, who said it was perfect.

2) Another email from another client - describing the VO I'd sent him last night as "fantastic".

3) a new gig from an old client appeared in my inbox after lunch. I read through it, email client to say, I hope you don't want this to be a :30 because I clock it at :50. He writes back, that's good, it's inside a :52 music bed. So I do the read, edit it in my usual zealous fashion, make sure it's :50, and zing it back, thinking I'm on a roll.

Mid-afternoon it all starts to unravel. Client 1) says his client decided that after the spot was put together, the script sounded bland, so we'll have to do it all over.

Client 2), as described in the beginning of this post, says their client decided on fewer scripts so we need to re-do.

Client 3) writes back and says, let's pick up the pace and read it faster Confused

Then, to crown the day, a client for whom I recently finished a narration for a Flash animation, and over which I had labored with great fondness, wrote to tell me that his client, upon hearing it, decided that his OWN voice would be better than mine. My client, at least, had the grace to disagree, at least to my electronic face, but to no avail.

My godfather once described a situation that turned out in this sort of way as "like expecting a kiss and getting an enema."

My consolation is that the Flash client told me I can use the animation for demo purposes and even put it on my website as long as I don't have any identifying text on the site or refer to him by name - (which is also a pity since his work is so nice).

I can feel my skin getting thicker as I write....

By the way, here is that animation (and yes, I changed the name of the file to protect the innocent):

http://www.mcmvoices.com/mediafiles/gw.swf
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mcm, very nice work. Don't let it get to you, tomorrow will be a whole new adventure.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You choose the paint, you choose the decorator and the job gets done. You don't like the end result so you refuse to pay the decorator?

You choose the script, you choose the voice and the job gets done. You don't like the end result so you refuse to pay the voice?

Whilst I will always try to be reasonable if someone uses my time and resources they are expected to pay. If I make a mistake and need to do something again there are no additional charges.

When a job arrives it's always worth including in any email or conversation the phrase "I'll go ahead and record then invoice you accordingly". The client then knows you intend to record and you intend to charge, the onus is on him to say "No don't ...."

At the end of an ISDN session I always say during the course of the closing polite chat.

"Are you happy with that?" Meaning the take or takes.

Followed by

"OK. so you have everything you need?"

Followed by

"Right it's in the bag, yes?"

All of the above comes out in natural conversation but I ensure that the client/producer/director has said to me 3 times that everything is fine. On the rare occasions when a piece of text needs re-visiting there are never any problems with billing.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always ask "Are you happy?" because I'm a tough-as-nails, hard-bitten businesswoman.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayum! Truly a WTF kind of day! Said animator usually has a check to the talent within days of receiving the finished audio. I assume the same was true for you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had a check within a few days. He's a good guy.

Yes, I will "bill accordingly" and feel sure they'll be fine with it.

None of this is really a big deal. It only seems that way when so much of it is crammed into a day that started out so beautifully.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary -

If you have a policy -- be it billing by time or per spot, ya gotta stick to it, I think.

Exceptions on revisions may be made in the future for folks who become regular clients, but in the early going ya gotta bill as you said you would from the outset. Otherwise I think you risk setting up a scenario in which people think there are always unlimited freebie do-overs.

Bill everything as you say you will on your "rate card" - within reason, of course.

That's my .02,

LL
lisaloo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops - thought I was logged in. That was me, obviously.

Lisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: