VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Website Re-Vamped, please share your thoughts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mythwoman
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Website Re-Vamped, please share your thoughts Reply with quote

Hi Guys and Gals,

After some good advice a few months ago I have had my website redone to create a more vibrant, youthful atmosphere that hopefully matches my voice. My creator strongly wants me to have a short Bio at the bottom of the page.
Since some folks discouraged the idea some days ago I decided to abandon the idea. But just for the heck of it I wrote one and sent it to my designer.

Right now it's not there, however it may be up soon. If those of you who visit my site don't approve or think it unnecessary then I'll have taken off.

Otherwise, I really want to hear from some of you if not everyone. For the time being my website is:

http://www.justsaymary.com

I know a few people disliked the title, I have yet to change that too. For now, please tell me what you think of the background, imagery, etc.

Thanks! You're all amazing!
Mary
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, and the multi-colored background. Very clean... uncluttered... and simple. It's amazing how so few words can convey so much.
Just one thing bothered me... the last four letters in the word artist seemed to lose impact because of the background colors behind them.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
mythwoman
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bailey,

I'll see what my designer can do to fix the little problem you mentioned. I really appreciate your comments.

Mary
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary

I really like the art but do not like the logo or demo fonts or coloring. I would absolutely re-thing that.

I hope that helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like you a lot Mary, but the website actually hurts my eyes. :(

Last edited by asnively on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:59 am; edited 2 times in total
mythwoman
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... yeah I've been starting to wonder about the coloring mix or whatever in the background. I found that color swirl background on one of my CD Label programs. My designer is always open for change but I seriously have no idea what else can be done other than using one or two solid colors in the background. But when I tried that before everyone pretty much agreed that it didn't match the theme of my demo tracks.

I've been to every member's website here and beyond trying to get ideas, inspirations, but I have little to go with since I haven't got much to show off except my demos.

Please guys, can you suggest something or recommend anyone I can talk to?
What would be helpful?

I appreciate your comments,
Mary
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a question for your designer-- it's usually the designers job to make design suggestions! Too soon to panic yet!

Last edited by asnively on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
mythwoman
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amy,

My designer is a family friend who has created websites for various kinds of businesses but he has never done a VO website, nor does he know anything about the business. He offered to create a website for me free of charge, so I agreed.

I know its way too early to panic, as you said, but what bothers me is that I don't have ideas to fall back on. I know, they probably just haven't come to me yet. But criticism is important to me. Everyone at vo-bb has been so kind and professional with their advice. I feel as though someone here might know what would work for a website with my demos. I seriously cannot imagine what background or colors go good with them.

So in the end, I feel I need to panic because I don't know what to do and neither does my designer. Or should I consider paying for a website designer who has experience creating websites for VO artists?

Mary
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any competent website designer should be able to handle the task. I'm struggling with the concept that you seem to have about "colors that go with" demos. I don't think I understand....

Last edited by asnively on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've never chatted with you before.... my name's Caryn. Nice to meet you Mary!

Here's what I think:
To each his own on the graphic/art. While it wouldn't be my first choice, it is unique... I really wouldn't worry too much about the graphic. As long as you have this same theme on everything and it works on everything (demo CDs, business cards, etc.)

I do agree... the last four letters in "artist" need to be darkened with the red a bit. They're getting lost in the background.

As for your nav bar with the demos: the demos, demos, demos text looks like it should be a link to me, even though it's your heading. I think you might want to change the font or size of that (or center it better in the nav bar) to show it's the heading. Squeeze the vertical space between the heading and where your demos start, also, There's just too much space between the two. That might be what's throwing off my eye with thinking "Demos, demos, demos" is a link.

As for your bio... I think it would serve you to shorten it. No one's going to sit and read four paragraphs on a web site. Bullet points, and succinct sentences are key to a good site... give us only the information we need to know why we should hire you!! Smile

Contact info: you might want to put your phone number(s) there as well.

I hope this wasn't too much. Take it or leave it... I'll understand! Smile

Caryn

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.maryannedoyle.com/

For this site, all we had for particulars were a single demo and contact info. You don't really need a lot of luggage to make a point.

Let me start by telling you I think you have a good sound, an interesting sound. This thread is about your website, though, so here is my boatload of critique:

The theme of your site seems very 1960's to me, a batik look.
I don't think it's a good idea—it just says "old" to me, and the images of the people are creepy.

Your bio is unnecessary and actually damning. Any time the offered info is "what i did as a kid" , it tells me you are as green as spring grass —whether you are or not. If I didn't know you, I would not have listened to your demos.

You're also in much better shape design-wise if you confine your page size to 600-650 pixels high.

You should consider making a email address with the site name in it-- Mary@JustSayMary.com or something like it.
"Mythwoman" is a peculiar professional moniker for someone who is has such a clear grip on sounding like a kid.

Don't worry about color too much, you need a theme that shouts your capability before people even hear it.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deebs--Did you just mock up that maryannedoyle.com? Cuz you da madd skillz woman!
Mary--I know your struggle. Just like a lot of things, the hardest part is getting started...even if you've "started" before. Hang tough.
You. Are. Not. Alone.
-------------------------------edit----------------------------------------
Okay never mind Deebs. I'm an idiot.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary:

I have, for sometime, referred the curious to a truly great basic vo web site: http://www.brucemiles.com/

In addition to highlighted demos first and foremost, it has key words and basic information that every web site needs.

Copy it shamelessly as the foundation of your design.

Now, re-read that last sentence again....then do it Smile

Build any "creativity" around good "bones"

Want another site with good bones: http://www.db-cooper.com/

Want something with a bit more to it: http://www.audioconnell.com

One final thought, web sites are about SEO and words. Look and feel comes in fourth in a three man race.

I hope this helps. You'll get it, fear not! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mythwoman
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your thoughts. This helps my thinking a bit more. Deridre, Caryn, Audio'connell, Amy, and Diane, I appreciate your honesty and your time to look and respond. I have to say Deirdre really made it clear what I need to do and mostly certainly what I need to undo. Now I feel better.

I'll see what my designer and I can work with. And yes, I know it's still a long way to go but I don't want to give up!

You're all amazing!
Mary
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter...unless I missed something, the Bruce Miles site doesn't contain any words except in the META tags, which are largely ignored by the big search engines when it comes to ranking.

If you go to Google, for example, and enter this in the search field (these are words that are found on his site)...

experienced actor character demo

...you'll notice that his site doesn't appear anywhere in the first ten pages of search results except on page 2...but it's a link to his Voice123 profile, not his own site.

You're definitely right that SEO plays an important role in web development, but I'm not sure that site is the best example to use.

If you're gonna build a site that's all graphics or Flash, it's best to make sure the text appears in the HTML and not just in the META tags either since they don't carry the same weight they used to.

Just some extra words of advice Smile

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: