VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stuffy Nose

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Stuffy Nose Reply with quote

I got a call from a long time client, Chris, in Florida saying he was going to deliver a script and be on the look out for it. They were transitioning all of their software training to flash movies for web based delivery and had enough updates to warrant redoing everything. "Not a problem, I'll let you know when I get the document."

So this past Monday comes around and I am up late in the kitchen listening to the latest crazy judge show on TV and making coffee. Not just any coffee, special beans a client in Hawaii sends me every winter and if that's not bad enough, it's using a French coffee press. I had no idea what a French coffee press was until my wife and I saw one on "Queer Eye" - I won't talk about the fact that I whined so long about getting one her mother up in New Jersey ordered one online to shut me up. I digress...

Just as I was about to pour my mug of liquid heaven, there was a knock at the door. I really had to question which to do, I mean that cup was about to be blessed with Hawaiian gold, and from there, two sips and my body was too!! I put the cup down, got to the door and opened it to see Chris' face. Apparently, his family lived 30 miles away and he flew into to Dulles which was right across the street from the house and gave him the chance to deliver the script personally (on CDROM).

I asked if he wanted some coffee, he said, "Sure." As he answered, he pulled this small bottle out of his coat, took the top off, stuck it in his left nasal and inhaled, hopped around and repeated the same in his other nasal. I poured him a cup and handed it to him as he said, "Man, that Sinus Buster crap really works, only problem is you can't taste anything after you use it." I wanted to take the cup back and give him hot water but it was too late, I have never seen someone slam coffee that way.

One thing I did notice was that there was an immediate different in the sound when he talked, the congestion was not there. Turns out it is a natural pepper extract, which accounts for his jumping around. Before I drop $10 for this product, I wanted to find out if anyone else had tried it.

I seem to get a lot of colorful clients ... I love it!

Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Stuffy nOSE Reply with quote

I tried the Sinus Buster stuff you talked about. had to order it off the net. It's like putting mace up your nose. Basically you're pepper spraying your nose. If you do too much it will burn like crazy and go down your throat and that burns too. Not sure if it's any better than any other nose spray. I have had a sinus cold/congestion for over a month now and it's getting real old. Makes me think it could hinder getting or performing at VO jobs.

Glenn
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Stuffy Nose Reply with quote

So anyone have any nasal sprays that work to get rid of the stuffy sound when you have to voice?

Glenn
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, wow. An atomic bomb for your nose.

If I get a cold, I'm actually OK for the first couple of days and then the jammed-sinus resonance lands like an invasion of Confederate Soldiers in wet boots behind my eyes.

I may just try this Sinus-buster stuff.

Losing work because of a cold only adds to the misery.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I totally can't breathe I use Afrin spray or the generic equivalent. Just use it sparingly and not on a daily basis or it has a "rebound effect". But plain saline nasal spray does wonders, available in the cold remedies aisle at the drugstore and supermarket.

There are a few products at Dave & Dave Incorporated that look interesting, under VO Store/VO essentials.

http://www.ddicompanies.com/
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an ear, nose and throat doctor tell me to sniff warm salt water. About 1 teaspoon of salt in an 8 OZ glass. Since he knew I was a runner, he suggested that running a shortened distance helps the blood to flow and open the sinuses. I do about three miles a day, so I'd run about 1.5 miles. Only do this if you have no fever...and are a runner. <g> But you get the idea. Vitamins, eating right and regular exercise (if you're able) helps raise the immune system.

I haven't had a cold in years...but I have one now. I'm convinced it's because I let myself get stressed and tired. I cut back on running because it was impossible to do my business, take care of family obligations and use the four hours of sunlight we have before we go back to daylight time. Smile Also, don't shake hands with anyone and don't leave the house. Oh..and Sudafed. LOL

I am not a doctor, but I've played one on radio.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get something called a SinuCleanse system from the drug store. It is a platstic thing-a-majig and has packets of saline solution included. It is modelled after the Neti Pot and it directs the flow of warm water and saline solution through the sinuses. It's easy to use and does a good job. I think it's around $15. If you give me the names of a couple of drug store chains in the States, I might remember which one I got it at.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something that I discovered works for me. It's kind of strange.

As I plowed through a stack of books on the voice biz, one book I got is titled Make you Voice Hears -- an Actor's Guide to Increased Dynamic Range Trhough Vocal Training by Chuck Jones. When I finally got around to doing the exercises recommended, I found that my nose seemed to clear.

The one that works is to put two fingers on each side of the nose while uttering "huh." Now, that comes after warm-up and other exercises where you cause your voice to resonate from the chest, then the hard palate, then the nose, the sinus and finally the skull. When I do the exercise, and get to the nose/sinus stage, my nose seems to clear. It's like taking a walk in fresh cool morning air.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know what you mean. It hurts really bad the first couple of times you use it. After a while you get use to it, to some degree, and the system shock goes away.

Disclaimer: I do not recommend the next method as it's a back woods South Carolina home remedy, and pain is an understatement. I spent a year in South Carolina between 92-93, was 40 minutes from the nearest hospital when my allergies kicked in high gear. I do not know which was worse, the massive amount of mold in that state or the local voodoo doctor (if you ask me) who saved my life. If you're into holistic medicine and understand Indiana Jones or McGuyver, you are ready to continue reading.... All joking aside, be prepared.

IF the session is at home via ISDN or phone patch, IF and only if you ABSOLUTELY need brute strength to clear your nose before a gig (and everything else has failed), IF you have one hour before the session, release the power of garlic. Use cheese cloth to sqeeze freshly crushed garlic juice into a spoon and suck it up with a dropper. Lay on the floor facing up and add one drop to each nasal passage. If you're the religious type, be prepared to see the second, maybe the third coming. Keep lots of water and a towel handy, you will need them. And you will smell garlic for two days.

Remember that scene in Jackie Brown when Samuel Jackson said, "When you absolutely, positively have to kill every mofo in the room, accept no substitute." Well, this is it, think "Wasabi on steroids."
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick with my SinuCleanse, thanks. :roll:
Nancy Camp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin;

First, howdy, neighbor. I'm up the hill from the Pentagon, just a few I-66 exits east of you.

For clearing out the stuffy sounds, try taking Claratin about 1 hour before you go on mic. Works wonders, no rebound or side effects and no excessive dry mouth.

To avoid getting sick, there's a product on the market called Sambucol, an elixer concentrate from black elderberry that's a natural, potent anti-viral. Four times in my life, I've started to come down with all the flu symptoms--headache, chills, fever, faucet nose. After swallowing 2 T of the stuff every hour for 5 hours, everything was gone by morning. Closest I've had to a miracle cure and the stuff tastes good too. Health food stores and Whole Food Grocery chain carry it.

Nancy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: