VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio Editing Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Software for Sound?
Audacity
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Audition
19%
 19%  [ 10 ]
Cool Edit
19%
 19%  [ 10 ]
Goldwave
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Pro Tools
26%
 26%  [ 14 ]
Samplitude
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
other
28%
 28%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 52

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey wrote:
Bill wrote:
Goldwave... I especially treasure the ability to copy a bit of room sound to the clipboard and use that as the noise filter. cleans things up very nicely.

I've had Goldwave for over 6 months, and haven't heard about that one yet. How do you do it?... What button do I push? I'm probably missing a lot of "unwanted" room sounds, because I have a 10% hearing loss in both ears. (The tinnitus doesn't help much either.) :(

Bailey,

:oops: I have to apologize, I haven't used Goldwave in a while, I went in this morning and it isn't where I thought it was.

Basically you select a small bit of room sound from the clip, copy (ctrl -c) to the clipboard, then go into filter>noise reduction and select use clipboard... unfortunately that selection isn't there... :shock: (ver 4.01) It was a trick I learned from Art Hadley years back. I haven't had to use it in a while.

I did find a similar function in Audacity though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Edit will do the same thing with it's noise removal tool. Very handy Smile
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "guest" above is me. Sorry...do not know what happened.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I downloaded 4.26 (they are in the 5 range now)and it''s there where I described it. handy little function. What impressed me back when I first discovered it was how little effect it had on what was left.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be very judicial in the use of this function in Cool Edit because it can really distort the sound. Do you find the same thing in Gold Wave?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to see how well the Digidesign Intelligent Noise Reduction works. I have used other types of noise reduction, but artifacting become aparent REAL FAST.
DINR was always an astounding $995 but now they have a DINR-LE for only $495.

w00t.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with Elaine. Cool Edit's "noise reduction" function is not one of its better applications. It's better to take care of your noise issues in your chain "outside the box". Distortion can be extreme. Initially, I discovered that I had to move up to a better soundcard.

Last edited by Andy on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa,

Good choice, you'll only be sorry you didn't do it earlier. Deirdre mentioned it earlier, start collecting filters from people if you can get your hands on them. I don't know if a site exists with a bunch of basic filters, but there should be one if for backup alone!

Kevin
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
Basically you select a small bit of room sound from the clip, copy (ctrl -c) to the clipboard, then go into filter>noise reduction and select use clipboard... unfortunately that selection isn't there... :shock: (ver 4.01) It was a trick I learned from Art Hadley years back. I haven't had to use it in a while.

I'll check it out when I get home from my "day job". I've got the latest version of GoldWave, and as I was looking into noise reduction, I did notice some info about using the clipboard. Thanks Smile
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
GregAllen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: editing software Reply with quote

I use Adobe Audition 1.5 and Mackie's Tracktion 2 (came with my mackie Spike A-D box). For me, Audition is easier to use.
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisaloo wrote:
I ordered the Digidesign mBox bundle doo-dad with some extra PT tutorial DVDs, etc.

Lisa:

I'm seriously considering taking advantage of the special price for the Digidesign Mbox, too. I've used ProTools for 7-8 years now, so it makes sense to stay with it for a portable setup as well. Does anyone have an opinion of how it will work on a 3-year old Gateway 400 laptop? (The 400 series is specifically approved for the Mbox by Digidesign.) I only ask because a few years ago I tried an Mbox on this Gateway 400, and it produced intolerable noise. Since then I discovered that there was probably a short in the USB port.

Any opinion as to whether Mbox works better with USB 2.0 vs 1.0? (My laptop has 1.0 only.)

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jim
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of last year, the Mbox was still only USB 1 anyway.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: editing cosftware Reply with quote

Anybody use Sony Sound Forge 8 or Sony Vegas? I have been necourged to use them. I currently have Adobe Audition 1.5 and Mackie's Tracktion 2 (which is nice to record in but clunky for me to edit with.)
Edo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Sony SoundForge 8... and Pro Tools HD as well.
lisaloo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim -

I don't know how it will run on that laptop, but I do know that Sweetwater recommended that I upgrade my memory in the PC desktop to a full gig just to be safe. I had about 448 of RAM available when I ordered the bundle, and he said that PTLE would probably run "just fine" with that if I'm using only the basics of the program, but that I should have more RAM available just to be on the safe side. I swapped out two 256's for two 512's.

However, I also know that a number of VO folks travel with the mBox, mic and a laptop without much trouble. I think your chief concern when running PTLE would be available RAM in the laptop, but then what the heck do I know yet? I'm still sitting here waiting for the FedEx guy to show up!

Wink

Lisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: