VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Website Critique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey Mac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Website Critique Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Just curious if I can get a critique on my website. http://www.loudmouthimaging.com - Please peruse all aspects of the site.

I am doing everything by hand myself, granted I have some website & design skills, i am no expert. Thanks all! Also, I guess I can use this as a shameless plug (?), but I am now an exclusive distributor of Big Fish Production Workparts...if anyone is interested Smile

Casey
dagoldenknight86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey,

Very cool! One thought... What about placing your "demo" link around the 45 along with your other inks? Other then that it rocks.

Also... What would be cool... If you could scratch the record with the mouse Smile. I honestly have to say I tried that as soon as I logged on. Just a thought Smile
Casey Mac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you goldenknight! I'll work on that! Smile
vic44139

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your actual demo button is hard to find....and since demos are your calling card, you might want to make it more obvious. Also, your first page is slightly confusing with the banners. Once again, make it more obvious for high speed or low speed. Other than that, great sounds.

As a matter a fact, I think I want to cut some sweepers with you for a imaging demo for myself. How many do you think I need for a demo? Just PM me if you have time about costs.

Vic
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice website... and a great concept. Easy to maneuver and easy to understand. Unless I overlooked something... Did you also give befor and after samples? I really didn't know that production imaging was that much of a problem... makes sense now.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
ronphi
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey,

Comments from one that is still building his site and certainly not a pro at it.

1) I agree with Vic about the first page and the demo link.

2) Under the "loudmouths" link you have the line "Contact us today for your new image". Did you think about making that a live link to the Contact Us page? I know that link is readily available on the left but it seems the easier you make it for the client, the better for you.

3) Under the "how it works" link you have a mic that seems to be a link. Clicking on it and nothing happens. I am using FireFox. Checked with IE6 and got the same result.

4) Under the "home" link, the line "It's like having a full time producer ..." overlaps the previous line. This is on both FireFox and IE6.

5) Not a big deal but the initial page displays differently in FireFox and IE6. FireFox has a completely gray background. IE6 shows a light blue box behind "radio imaging", "new school/old school" and "Big Fish". The blue is not objectionable to me, just wanted to point out the difference.

6) Maybe just my age (read eyesight) and maybe not very important but in the initial page the URL, e-mail address and copyright info at the bottom of the page is difficult to read. Not enough contrast against the background.

7) Overall a nice, clean look. Congratulations on a well designed site.

These are my observations given as mere suggestions. I am certainly not a professional so remember my opinion is worth what you paid for it. When my site goes up on the Critique board feel free to comment.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urging for investment in the radio in the 1920s.
Casey Mac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input! I believe I have fixed all these issues now. Please refresh your page to see the changes...

Thanks all again for the input.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash site:

Now that he said it, yeah... I WANT TO SCRATCH THE RECORD!!!!! Totally pointless but man it would be cool. So is it worth it? I dunno.

The demos sound big, good. They take a little while to load though. It's not a huge delay but I was surprised it took that long in a flash environment. What do you have them at 192 right Also, is there a way I can download and save your demo if I want to? It's not obvious if there is a way and if there isn't there needs to be. Make this easy for potential clients.

The "swish" noise as I'm changing pages is getting a little old. I don't mind the bips when you mouseover links but the swish really bothers me for some reason. If it was me I'd probably get rid of it but you could try to turn it down a lot (like 6db or more) or find a less aggressive noise.

HTML Site:

I just skimmed it since most potential clients won't need it anymore but it looks good to me. Same feel as the flash version so it's cohesive. I didn't notice any glaring issues.

Hope that helps. I really like some of the stuff you've done on your demos. As one prod guy to another maybe we can have a conversation sometime.

Brian
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've done an awesome job for someone who said "granted I have some website & design skills, i am no expert."

As others have said before me, your bread & butter is in the demos. Make that much more prominent.

If there's any way of getting rid of the intro New school / old school page, do it.

It looks like you are developing for lowest common denominator screen size i.e. 640 x 480 or 800 x 600. I'd probably go with 1024 by 768. That'll make everything bigger and easier to read.

Try to use a sans-serif font for the screen, that makes things easier to read as well. It looks like your using some version of Courier. I'd go with Verdana or Arial.

Just my $.02

Good luck!
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't go through the whole site, but this typo jumped out at me.

Nothing personal, but I see that particular one way too often. It's a pet peeve of mine.
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Critique Reply with quote

Casey Mac wrote:
Hi everyone,
Just curious if I can get a critique on my website. http://www.loudmouthimaging.com - Please peruse all aspects of the site.
Casey

Heh heh gotta love TemplateMonster Wink

A couple things...

As suggested, I would go with a sans-serif font for your main content and your HTML (non-Flash) areas.

In your HTML section of the site, I would recommend as I do for my clients in general these days that you develop a form that's processed server-side for your contact page rather than just having a link to your e-mail address on the page. This will cut down DRASTICALLY on spam that you receive, especially if that e-mail address doesn't appear online anyplace else.

If you are going to include e-mail links, though, and this goes for web links, too, like on the HTML index.html page, make sure they're always hot. No sense in including a link and forcing people to copy/paste.

Also don't forget that the content of your Flash can't be read by search engines (although this is changing)...take advantage of the comment blocks in the HTML of the template pages that hold the flash and enter any content there that isn't replicated in your non-Flash pages.

As suggested by others here, too, definitely ditch the blue links over a black background...remember that some ridiculous percentage of men are at least partially colorblind...blue on black don't read so very good Smile

And yeah, check for typos...things like "Voice Over Artist's" on the HTML home page (index.html) should be fixed. There's another your/you're switch on the pricing.html page, too.

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"

Last edited by louzucaro on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Dittamo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey,

I like the classy, creative yet subtle design concept.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: