VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a 2nd opinion...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Need a 2nd opinion... Reply with quote

I have complete faith in the opinion of a trusted source... but it doesn't hurt to get a 2nd opinion. Analog mixer or USB interface. I'm aware of the price difference. Which is the favored direction to go... in your opinion?
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both. The analog mixer (and processor) feeds the USB interface.

More control for me, but I'm using the very simple Mbox.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get the gist of your question, it's whether or not I prefer an external hardware mixer or a virtual mixer that comes with a software application.

I've used both and I prefer to work with the external hardware mixer.

The nice thing about Pro Tools is you can get a Command 8 control unit that acts as an external hardware mixer that is linked to the virtual mixer window in Pro Tools through a USB port.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bailey
4 Large

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie...
I'm talking about either using an Analog mixer that plugs into the sound card, or a USB interface that plugs into the USB connector. The mic would plug into either the Analog or the USB interface.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal opinion, I like to stay away from the direct to digital sound... so an analog mixer into a sound card is my first choice.

Believe me, there is a reason why many audio CD's and DVD's are ADDA (Analog Digital Digital Analog), not DDDA.

Remeber you cannot push digital as much as you might analog. When recording digitally, think of it this way - anything above say 85% VU will tend to turn to moosh (like my word) and anything at all above 100% VU will be (excuse me DB) "crap".

In the analog world you can push 120 VU or more and still get a somewhat paletable sound. Highs tend to be smooth in the analog world, lows are wonderfully mellow. In the digital realm (i.e.: USB, firwire, etc.) it's just one's and oh's - no character, no mellow, no style, no taste....

It's your choice.

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the analog mixer worked best, in the same configuration as DB mentioned.

CC
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking to replace an old mixer a while back, and looked at all the usual suspects from Mackie and others. I ran into a good deal on a Yamaha, and even though I was a bit skeptical, I bought it. I am quite impressed. Good, solid, quiet and priced right - just under a hundred.

I remember you saying something about using Goldwave, a good choice in my opinion! Have you kept up with the periodic upgrades? Version 5.10 has been out for a little while now - and as long as the updates are free, you might as well take advantage if you haven't done so yet.
Bailey
4 Large

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GoldWave version I have is 5.1. I’ve still only scratched the surface on how to properly use it. Lots of tiny icons… bells and whistles. Guess I need to play with it more… do some experimenting. Sometimes I wish these programs had only 3 buttons… RecordPlayMake it sound better. Confused
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
donrandall

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.1 is the latest Goldwave - so you are in good shape there.

Since you say you haven't played around and discovered some of the helpful tools available, I can suggest a few that you might like:

On the lower level of hot button icons, near the middle, there is an icon that brings up the "noise reduction" utility. (It's the 17 icon from the left and near the center, just to the right of the symbol for the "click and pop" filter that looks like a firecracker.) When the window opens, click "presets" and select "initial noise". Use this if you have any low level noise that you want to remove without damaging the actual content you have recorded. Although my recording area is rather quiet, I can detect just a trace of ambient noise if I listen carefully, and the noise reduction utility makes it go away.

Also on the lower level of icons, find the "comressor/expander" - it is the fourth from the extreme right. Click "presets" and then find "reduce peaks". When you have some extreme peaks and valleys, this will lightly compress the waveform and gently lower the peaks.

Reducing the peaks slightly will enable to you use "change volume" to raise the volume slightly. That icon near the middle of the lower level of icons and looks kinda like a little round knob or dial. I generally do not use the presets for raising the volume. I prefer the manually operated slider and increase volume in increments of 1.5 db. If extreme peaks show up again, I can go back and knock 'em down with "reduce peaks", and then come back and check the volume again and raise it slightly if it looks as though that may be appropriate.

Under the list of presets for "maximize volue" - another icon that looks like the "volume control" symbol (with an exclamation mark) you will find the option to increase volume to full "full dynamic range" or "90%" and some others. I agree with Frank, and choose not to go to the extreme limit, preferring 90% as a better choice.

Since Goldwave offers nondestructive editing, copy an audio file, put the original back where you got it - and then use the copy to experiment with some of the tools available. You can really kill a couple of hours and get very frustrated this way - but you will eventually figure out a lot of cool stuff!

I have also played around with the noise gate and have found a setting that works well - the presets were of no value to me. If you wanna play around with the noise gate, let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: