VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which one

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Gun to your head... Which do you chose?
Interactive Voices
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Voice 123
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
Other (please specify)
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 19

ReyAnthony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Which one Reply with quote

I'm curious. For the entire list...

Someone hands you a couple hundred bucks. Then sticks a gun to your head and tells you to pick either Interactive Voices or Voice 123 to join, or a 3rd similar service. Which do you choose?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't see the gift of the money.

I'd still try to get in good with Studio Center or Pro Comm.
They don't charge to find you work.
craigieb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, who has the gun, and how did they get past security?!?

Second, I'm listed with both. I get by far more leads with V123, but the IV leads are higher on the food chain. I've booked jobs enough from both of them to more than pay for the service.

Sure, it'd be great if they weren't charging to find me work. But as a tool in the arsenal, an arrow in the quiver, or to use your analogy, a bullet in the gun, it's just another way to find work.

Do I not bother responding to some bottom-feeder leads? Of course. But I've also booked $500 jobs for five minutes of unsupervised work. Not a ton, but enough to restore my faith in 'em. And certainly enough to pay for their fees, which IMHO are fairly reasonable.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been up and down with them. And I've booked work through both. Late last week I booked a client who will be feeding me continuous work that will more than pay the price of admission for quite a while.

My goal when I joined them was to give this VO venture a year. In essence, use the platforms as a bellwether to see if I had the chops for this end of media work. If I booked enough work through them It would indicate to me I could make a go of it amid the intense competition. Overall, I've done pretty good with jobs ranging from $40 to $500.

My concern now is that the talent pond is pretty full in both. And while IV has never been able to generate as many leads as V123, V123 has slacked off. Granted, the fewer leads are better ones. But the average reply rate of around 150 can now exceed 350! I'm also a producer. And there is no way in hell, given my deadlines, that I'd ever listen to 350 auditions. Ya find the one that fits your project and then ya hit the automated "Thanks, but no thanks..." tab.
BBeen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with Voicemodels. Just curious...low fees. Do they generate any leads at all?
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Voice Hunter Reply with quote

Very satisfied with Voice Hunter, after one month, Gabby and crew have become an integral part of my process. It's the closest thing to having an agent when you don't have one if you ask me.

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voicemodels? Only been with them for 6 weeks or so but not a single thing so far. I can't say I've seen much activity at all and I'm not sure they're worth the bother, but I'll keep you posted.

Mr Genus - Voice Hunter - what level of membership have you plumped for? Just curious about that one.

As for IV or V123 - I would have to say V123 in terms of diversity of leads, number of private leads and also revenue generated . Yes there are plenty of bottom-feeders out there but there is also some quality work to be had. That said, I haven't seen a lot of action from either in the past month or so - maybe it's just the time of the year, but on a bad day I start to wonder.

vo-bb - Top site, by the way. This is my first post but I've been lurking invisibly for a couple of months. I'll be becoming more visible in the near future.

Best wishes
Simon
Simon Fellows
Contributor III

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Voicemodels Reply with quote

I was the guest who last posted on this topic, but I've now signed up as promised. (I know Banksey's beaten me here, but I figured "TheLimey" was a suitable enough description, so what the heck.)

Well isn't it always the way? The very day after I posted my comments about Voicemodels, I actually got some work through the site. And it looks as though it'll be ongoing. So, for the time being: Voicemodels? Great site, well worth the fee etc.

Just to let you have a little more detail - you're not looking at the sophistication of a V123 or IV type scenario (less sniggering at the back there - "Sophistication of V123/IV?!?"). As far as I can tell, you get no customer support, and I've yet to receive a private lead, but you are looking at a one-off $36-or-so fee so it may be worth the punt. That was something I was thinking wasn't the case until last Thursday.

I said I'd keep you posted so I thought I'd better let you know.

Looking forward to some edifying conversation with you all now that I've turned my lights on!

Cheers for now
Simon
steeleman
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: v123 or iv Reply with quote

I signed up with Voice 123 and get leads all the time but not that many
jobs. I have paid for the membership and then some but for the most
part...it's not that great! For every 100 leads you answer you may get
about 10 or 20 jobs. I did make some good contacts and regular customers with v123 but it's so crowded with good and not so good
voices...it's hard to get noticed and listened to.

Interactive is also crowded so I am not so sure that either is worth it
in the long run.... The one positive about both is that the public leads
you might get...serve as a good tool for demo material!!!

I agree with Deidre...try and get in with Studio Center...
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A client of mine sent me the Studio Center kit they send to potential clients. He didn't request it, but thinks he must be on a list that they use, as he does radio specials. I mention that because, to me, it sounds like they are progressively marketing their services by sending a slick media package with five (count 'em 5) CD's of demos.

On their web site it states that you have to be within driving distance of one of their studios or have ISDN to be added to their roster.

Great demos and very nice presentations.
DAN LENARD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found V123 and IV both useful and tiresome. I also signed up with Gabby and crew at Voice Hunter. Nothing yet, but, they are real and supportive. Stephanie Ciccarelli at IV is an experienced pro and has done a good job of creating good templates and strategies to use. She answers her e-mail too. Very important.

V123 and IV have both paid for themselves over and again. It's gotten to the point where I see $50.00 budget and I leave it for everyone else to fight over. In fact, after 15 years in a radio production studio and the last 7 months of doing this stuff, I really do not want read other peoples bad copy. Ok, a buck is buck, BUT, it is far more important to develop a C l i e n t l e.

Everyone, well, not everyone thinks that broadcast is where its at. WRONG! The Internet has increased VO opportunities a hundred fold (Or more). Go get clients yourself. Develop them and give them value added service.(Like help on thier copy that is written for the written word, not spoken) and lastly, My Father-in-Law, the life insurance agent, keeps hammering me with "Get Referals!" They like what you did? Ask them to give you names to contact with thier referal.

V123 and IV, excellent periphiral marketing tools! Use em, pay for em and still work your butt off to get your own clients. I've set a goal of 100 recyclable clients by the end of next year. With that many, I can probably feed my kids.
danlenard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, I aint no guest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: