VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interactive Voices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonHammock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Interactive Voices Reply with quote

I am about to sign up with Interactive Voices. Any input about them?
Thanks ,

Don

P.S. DAVE, that soundslike the SAME agent I had when I lived in Houston.
Does the agency by chance have anything to do with a Mad Hatter??
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this helps. I can't think of one reason to sign up particularly if you propose spending money. Only spend money promoting YOU and YOU alone.

Having said that, if you are able to mentally write the money off and do not intend wasting too much time auditioning it may be worth a gamble.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Interactive Voices Reply with quote

DonHammock wrote:
DAVE, that soundslike the SAME agent I had when I lived in Houston.
Does the agency by chance have anything to do with a Mad Hatter??

Hi Don!

Haven't heard from you in a while...hope all is well. And no, this isn't about an angry hat (gosh, they operate this way too...now I'm really depressed :(

FYI: The stingy stamp agent I'm referring to is the NFL quarterback connection.
Don Hammock
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Interactive Voices Reply with quote

FYI: The stingy stamp agent I'm referring to is the NFL quarterback connection.[/quote]

Dave,

Good hearing from you too. I was gone for almost a year to MO, then KY.
But I'm back now.
I know EXACTLY who you are talking about and I am REALLY surprized. They used to be the biggest agency in town, and for them to operate like that really surprizes me.

Keep in touch and I'll talk to you later,

Don
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Interactive Voices Reply with quote

Seems to me most of Interactive Voices leads are for On Hold with a budget of $75 .... I do so well out of Voice123 that I decided to also give Interactive Voices a whirl - and so far I got nada after 4 months.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been with IV for about 6 months and I've gotten 6 paying jobs. The better ones were clients who found me on the roster. Two others wound up being on my non-pay list. IV did very little to assist me there. Gotta agree with the Gypsy, there's quite a bit of low budget phone work. They don't generate a plethora of leads, either.

Plus, the membership is getting packed. A client I picked up last week mentioned in passing, that he was swamped with more than 200 auditions.
lisaloo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interactive Voices did nothing for me, and despite courting me quite aggressively and promising me that at least 1/3 of their work was union, I never saw a single union audition in the entire year. I was able to submit for exactly nothing.

I recently dropped my membership, but I think they still list me on the site.

Lisa
Bob Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Interactive Voices Reply with quote

I deceided to take the plunge but so far I'm disappointed.
I have auditioned for at least 40 jobs and have purposely put myself in the "whore business" quote-wise just to try to get my tuition back, but not one callback. Look, I'm not the best in the industry but I'm damn good and have a track record to prove it. I'd'a thought I could have pulled off a couple of $50 gigs at least but no. I think its a LOT less than its cracked up to be.

Bob Taylor Voice Productions
www.cedgeonline.com/voiceover/samples
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IV was quite aggressive with me as well, but I merely agreed to let them have a reciprocal link with me.

V123 paid for itself, but I'm not interested in re-upping.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I would be happy with an online service would be if:

A. Minimum payment standards were set.
B. Jobs were based on profile agreements.
C. The service brokered audio/payment delivery.
D. A percentage of the fee was paid to the service (no memberships).

Done properly it would be a complete service based site, not a profit generating tool which is the main difference. The only way I would ever see this would be if I developed it myself.

Essentially, on a $100 (ease of math) job a fee of $110 would be collected. 7% or $7 of that fee would go towards site and site maintenance fees. $100 or %90 would be paid to the talent electronically. An additional $3 or 3% would also be issued in the talent payment to cover electronic payment methods (i.e. PayPal or whatever electronic payment system that was being used).

The extra funds would go to specific containers:

Storage. Each individual account would be allowed 5 demos, standardized format at one (1) meg or less - Commercial / Narration / Imaging / TV Promo / Phone.

Bandwidth.

I pay a set monthly for my website and monthly bandwidth. If a site like this generated $50/month from 7% collections, it would pay for itself. any extras could really be given back to the community in the form of a montly random drawing lottery, your chances based on the number of transactions you had that month. Assuming the fee to use any talent's service would be $250, after 100 transactions, someone would walk away with a new mic, preamp or voucher for free VO work (whose costs would be covered by the service).

I think this type of model would work. The current models are based on generating income, which is fine, but it would help if they hired some analysts to find out WHAT people wanted first.

IV and V123 interfaces are not user friendly at all and being part of a no-pay situation has to be pretty rough. To buy this person's service, please click here to pay -- one more thing -- auditions would be blind until the payment had been approved.

Obviously this system wouldn't work for everyone....
billelder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

Have you given this some thought? Laugh

What a great, detailed vision of a working service.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sold. When do we start, Kevin???
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K Genus Voices, Inc.
High Class Family of voices. Sound made to Order.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Interactive Voices Reply with quote

taylormade wrote:
Look, I'm not the best in the industry but I'm damn good and have a track record to prove it. I'd'a thought I could have pulled off a couple of $50 gigs at least but no. I think its a LOT less than its cracked up to be.

Ditto Bob!

I have several vo friends here in Houston who have had good success with InterActiveVoices so I finally decided to take the plunge...(well..."dip" since its only $199). I didn't have visions of stopping all marketing efforts as a result of joining up but .... for crying out loud... I never thought for a million years I would NEVER get even one gig.

After submitting loads of auditions, I also tried bottom feeding on price just to see if that was the problem. Well, judging by the underwheling response (i.e. none) apparently, my lack of talent is only exceeded by my worth at any price :oops:

I've never thought of myself as an outstanding voice talent...just kinda adequate...but by some stroke of luck I've managed to make a living "plucking my twanger" since 1969. Nowadays...well, I don't know what to think about our beloved buisness.

Dave

P.S. FWIW...You have nothing to worry about as far as your ability...I love your stuff. Oh, one more thing. Do you know where Salamanca NY is? I was born there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: