VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Frickin' Agent!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_Onefourone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: My Frickin' Agent!! Reply with quote

How would feel if one of your agents (who you recently signed with but hasn't got you any work), sends out an email saying their new policy is everyone's demos have to be up on their website. BTW... it'll cost you $60/year.

To me, it reeks of CASH GRAB. I have reps in other ends of the country who have never asked for a cent other than commissions.

Isn't 'providing access to your demo' part of the service and agent should provide?

Anyhow... I've told him he can link to the audio on my website or he can go piss in the wind.

"Isn't that a shame?"
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: My Frickin' Agent!! Reply with quote

Dave_Onefourone wrote:
How would feel if one of your agents (who you recently signed with but hasn't got you any work), sends out an email saying their new policy is everyone's demos have to be up on their website. BTW... it'll cost you $60/year.

To me, it reeks of CASH GRAB. I have reps in other ends of the country who have never asked for a cent other than commissions.

Isn't 'providing access to your demo' part of the service and agent should provide?

Anyhow... I've told him he can link to the audio on my website or he can go piss in the wind.

"Isn't that a shame?"

Wow...sounds like a bad deal to me! I think I would have a real problem with an agent that wanted to charge me to put my demo on their website. There's no expense involved for them.

But then again, my agent charges $150 a year to be included on their house demo CD they send to all clients annually. I don't really like that little "poke in the eye" either but they go to 1000 folks that I would have to handle on my own and I can't do it for that kind of money soooo...I think in the long run its a bargin.

The REAL RUB with my agent is when they pay me...I have to drive to their office (37 miles one way and kill a couple of hours in Houston traffic) to pick up my check in person OTHERWISE I must provide them with a stamped self addressed envelope or they refuse to mail it at their expense. SHEESH!!!! :evil:
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: My Frickin' Agent!! Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
The REAL RUB with my agent is when they pay me...I have to drive to their office (37 miles one way and kill a couple of hours in Houston traffic) to pick up my check in person OTHERWISE I must provide them with a stamped self addressed envelope or they refuse to mail it at their expense. SHEESH!!!! :evil:

That is the most parsimonious thing I've ever heard of.
They won't shoulder the expense to MAIL a check?

Judas Priest!
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, a state of impecuniousness leads to parsimonious behavior.
Or, is it just avarice?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all filled with floccisonosinnihillapillfication (meaning: nothing, empty, zero, etc.)... it's what I have always said about the brains of many agents...

The word is a real word... it's the longest word in the English language. I learned it while doing a gig for a company which was producing an "audio dictionary of the English language".

Guess I would send my agent a book of stamps and a $1.00 store box of self addressed envelopes... and then ask if they want me to stuff it too... or, I could tell them to "stuff it". Or, give them my PayPal account and tell them to pay the freight...

Frank F
steeleman
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: agent...woes.. Reply with quote

That agent must not be one of the BIG ones. I've never heard of one that wouldn't mail you the check. The pay for demo thing is kinda nuts too.
They already take a percentage. I have a friend who is repped thru
William Morris and he told me they send him a check once a month
and take 10%. They handle all the billing for clients. All 178 of them!
WMA must love him and I'm sure he loves the nice check and NOT having to do all the billing..!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rule where agents are concerned was stolen from Groucho Marx

"I would never join a club that would have me as a member".
Dave_Onefourone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: agent...woes.. Reply with quote

steeleman wrote:

William Morris and he told me they send him a check once a month
and take 10%. They handle all the billing for clients. All 178 of them!
WMA must love him and I'm sure he loves the nice check and NOT having to do all the billing..!

I guess I'll join WMA then. They sound like an up-and-comer. Laugh
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: agent...woes.. Reply with quote

I guess I'll join WMA then. They sound like an up-and-comer. Laugh[/quote]

Um, yeah see the William Morris Agency is less like an up and comer and more like an entertainment industry behemoth in the agency world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... I thought William Morris WAS the industry.
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and then there's my agent, "Vinny Boom Bah"!
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and then there's my agent, whose name truly escapes me at the moment. Really. I gotta look her up in my files.
lisaloo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW . . .

SAG and AFTRA allow members to pay agents no more than $100 per year for marketing purposes -- the agent can use that in any way, for websites, reels, headshot books, advertising, etc. In my opinion, the agents we EMPLOY (remember, they work for us) need some coin to compete with. In some ways, it's like an employer wanting their wares promoted in the marketplace but expecting their employees to pay for the advertising out of their own pockets. I think this is entirely fair, provided it does not exceed $100 per person per year. If an agent has 100 people on the roster, ten grand is a healthy but not outrageous marketing budget for a year. And hey, $100 for me to get on the CD and on the website (and Voicebank, etc.) is quite affordable.

As to mailing checks, my Chicago agent (whom I have been with for more than ten years and adore) also asks for the SASE. Truth be told, postage can get fairly steep as expenses go for agents. And at least in the union commercial agency world, most agents are not getting rich off 10% session commissions. Subsidizing the postage thing doesn't bother me much at all -- it's a stamp every other week or so and anything I can do to get the money in my account faster I am totally in favor of.

Conversely, my NY agent has check authorization (very common in NY and LA) -- meaning that the checks go to them in my name, they cash them and back out their commission and cut me checks for the remainder. They mail them to me (and never hand them out in person in the office) every two weeks, ala a traditional payroll system. Works fine, too.

I think the difference for the agents, however, is this: in the first scenario, agents don't get paid until the commission check from the actor is in their account. I canot tell you how many actors leave checks sitting for WEEKS in an agent's drawer. As the money collects dust, the agent waits to be paid.

In the check authorization scenario (and under the terms of the legal agreement that is signed), the agent gets paid right away and the actor gets their money within days of receipt.

Both systems are fine, but the latter certainly gives an agent more cash on hand to pay bills with. Etc.

Lisa
Dave_Onefourone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes my humour gets lost. :oops: I know who William Morris is. I should have used this :wink: I guess. Wink wink... nudge nudge. Up-and-comers.

I'll stick to VO.
Dave_Onefourone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisaloo wrote:
-- the agent can use that in any way, for websites, reels, headshot books, advertising, etc.

I agree with you to a degree. It might not be such a big deal, but their website is garbage. Compared to any of the other studios and sites I've listed, at no cost, who have a great online presence, I just don't see how they justify the fees. Not to mention, I sent them a 20pack of Demo CD's to start this deal off. (Now I sound like I'm nickle-and-diming it.) Confused

lisaloo wrote:
In my opinion, the agents we EMPLOY (remember, they work for us) need some coin to compete with. In some ways, it's like an employer wanting their wares promoted in the marketplace but expecting their employees to pay for the advertising out of their own pockets.

The agents we employ have put themselves into a career where they can pick and choose who employs them. They have also agreed that 15% is a fair remuneration.

So what do we get for that 15%? REPRESENTATION
What are you doing to represent me? PUTTING YOU AUDIO IN FRONT OF POTENTIAL CLIENTS
How are you getting them the audio? THROUGH OUR WEBSITE
So you're representing me through the website and I'm paying you 15% to do that? YES
So WHY would I pay an extra fee to be on your website? UMMM...
Wouldn't that be... paying you twice for the same thing? UMMM....

We all have a cost of doing business. To put that all on the talent isn't a fair way to do business.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: