VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Situps, anyone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmgood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Situps, anyone? Reply with quote

I think it was in Stella Adler's book The Art of Acting where she says an actor must be in top physical shape in order to perform well. I've heard to improve breath control you want to develop strong stomach muscles.

I don't think my breath control is what it should be so I've started doing crunches. It seems that the muscles that would have best effect on breath control would be the obliques that run along the sides of the abdomen. Is that correct?

Anyone else have an exercise regimen that you do to keep yourself in top form for voice work? Any tips on how to improve breath control?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but it involves Scotch and a glass. Sometimes for extra weight I add ice, but not often.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, my exercise begins around 11:30 a.m. I never, ever drink before the afternoon. But, who's counting? I just round-off the numbers for simplicity and I lift a shot of tequilla while standing up at that moment in time, daily. It does wonders for breath control throughout the day.

All seriousness aside, I believe breath control is affected by one's emotional state and physical conditioning. Lung capacity is increased by walking, running, swimming, etc -- exercise. And, for breath control, anything that exercises the lungs and diaphram would make things better. The better you feel, as when in good shape, the better your emotional state, too.

Crunches? I'm not sure the muscles of the diaphram are affected by ab's of steel. It seems to me that's a different muscle group. Hey, you're not talking to Doctor Science! Ab's of steel may wear a bathing suit better, attract more members of the opposite (or same) sex and thus cause deep breathing activities that, ultimately, produced a relaxed state while working -- enabling better emotional control.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lisaloo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do Pilates and love it. I'll admit that I didn't start going for better wind specifically, but it sure doesn't hurt to have a much stronger core - especially for promos and other super fast stuff.

This week, however, I did catch a bit of that dreaded summer bronchial thing floating around the city, and between the fatigue and the sheer lack of air I'm able to squeeze out of my lungs I almost didn't make it through the week (work-wise). I'm not sure which is worse - a cold with congestion and sore throat or not being able to get through a full sentence without a catch-breath.

Blech.

Anyhow, having strong abs is good for a lot of stuff, including VO. So is alcohol . . . but that's just my personal opinion. Wink

Lisa
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like anything that increases stamina, that's what helps me the most. I take power walks through my little hilly town and because I have "an issue" with one of my legs, I use walking sticks-- like short ski poles. Woof! They're great for going up hills, let me tell ya.

I do push-ups and situps at home, but that's because I'm vain as hell. I also do the tumbler-lift, but my weight of choice is Jameson's Irish with some Bailey's.
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singing with a church choir is a big help for me. Of course, it's a bit "off-putting" when I'm singing from the congregation....uninvited...and off key.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunching does help... most people. My favorite crunches are Chips&dip... corn chips and salsa... and sometimes Cheetos. It doesn't help much with the breathing, but it settles my nerves. I used to practice breathing exercises, but kept getting light-headed. Now I just take a deep breath... and try to get as many "seconds" out as possible, without ending with a gasp. Maybe I need to buy one of those "breathing" training whistles? Confused
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Don Hammock
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Situps anyone, ???? Reply with quote

Ya'll( contributors to this board) should be ASHAMED of yourselves !!!!!

Poor DMGOOD asked a SERIOUS question. ALL that was sent in response were NON SERIOUS replies.

DM, do not pay attention to the NON serious replies! I will give you a SERIOUS reply,,,,

A very LOOOOOONG Time ago, I used to BOX in the RING. And YES ,,CRUNCHES, as well as SITUPS, etc and other AB work ,,,DOES , in fact HELP your breathing !!

For a , somewhat LESS serious reply- you SHOULD consume LOTS of BURGANDY------ OOPPPS I MEANT BROCOLLI !!!! You should also increase your intake of CALUAHA--- ERR ERRR I meant CALIFLOWER !!!!,,,,
and Definitely have lots of MARTINIS,,, OOOPPPS I MEANT MAHI MAHI !!!

AND you definitely should have PLENTY of LAMBUSCO !!! -- ERRRR EEERRR ,, I MEANT- LOW FAT LAMB................

Take care,

Don

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mr. Hammock, we do shame ourselves daily. And if we don't somebody else will.

Obviously good health, including exercise is going to help in all ways. Probably, mostly, in the mind. And that's a good thing!

Ex- radio people will probably agree that some of their best "rich-voiced, don't care, laid back" shows were after a night at the drinking establishment across the street, where you ran a contra tab. In other words, they were very good everyday. Ok, maybe just me. And some people I know. Last thing to (seriously) prescribe would be booze & smokes or tokes, but some choose to balance their career on that. Personally, I balance my life on that, but I digress.

Things like pitch, projection, etc. (the physical stuff) naturally work better the more they are used. So really, speaking, singing, practicing high to low (peaks and valleys), strength (by projecting), contorting your tongue to work out a character voice when you read to a child (if you don't have one, go get one - child that is), and READ OUT LOUD. All that stuff. Crunches, Palates / yoga? Only make sense. (If we said no, then you wouldn't?)
And I'll finish this silly tangent by warning, don't drive to have the perfect "voice". The phlegm, saliva, nose-breath, all that stuff really adds to your unique sound and realism. I used to work with one of the most fab voices on the planet, and she would (unfortunately) clear her throat before each read - I mean CLEAR HER THROAT - as in, that grinding thing we do when we have a chest cold. Eeek.
I know for a FACT that if you don't use it, you will lose it - and yes, we're still speaking vocal strengths here folks. Good news is you can gain it back.
(Does this guy ever shut-up..)
SO - my advice, go for the crunches, etc., but practice the actual art of voiceover. Read out loud. Sing. Appreciate the subtleties in your voice as well. Remember; "Phlegm is our Friend"

- Your phrend, Den.
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coitus. Great for breathing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thought, ignore what I just said.
Andy is right.

-den.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., the truth be known, I do a thing similar to DB - I walk quite a bit. Yes, it's a fast pace and NOT jogging, but it helps keep the wind up and the ol' heart muscle pumpin'.

The other item which is not a regimen, but a pleasure - is I swim a lot (sometimes in my Scotch - most times not). I have been a swimmer since I was very young, and still enjoy doing about a mile every two or three days.

Sit-ups, crunches, etc. - that's too much hard work. Do something which increases your stamina and your breathing and you'll be fine.

Of course a hit or two of Scotch or a good glass of wine can't hurt, can it?

Frank F
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookie here. it seems we're all on the same page regarding the consumption of excellent liquor.

Good in moderation, blah blah blah-- it's practically an Rx based on the consistency of response.

Anybody else here, besides me, smoke?
I smoke about 2-3 cigarettes a week. I know some folks wouldn't call that "smoking" but it is what it is.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad habit....for which I've been trying to kick for about a year. A little dificult, when the wife won't consider doing the same.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cigars. Cuban, if I can score. One every two weeks, max. The bad habit keeps some people away from my house. Very relaxing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: