VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VOICETALKERS, LEND ME YOUR EARS (Critiques, please)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: VOICETALKERS, LEND ME YOUR EARS (Critiques, please) Reply with quote

Well, despite the great advice I've gotten from a number of people, I took a bit of a different approach in re-designing my watercress-free website. (No, there are no pictures of me there...I might be dumb, but I ain't stupid!) So first of all, be warned of embedded sound!

The message board description promises "feedback from the toughest critics on the planet." and that's just what I'd love to hear, with particular attention paid to my Commercial and Promo demos.

Any and all criticism is welcome and encouraged! (And kind words will be humbly accepted as well.)

www.dougturkel.com

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DougVox on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
richgates

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug,

A couple of things I noticed. First of all the site looks really nice, and I think your demos sound really good.

I do have a couple of constructive items. One is a legitimate issue and the other is a matter of opinion.

The first is that your demos stop frequently for me while they try to buffer. I have an 8Mbit connection and this has happened on your site three different times I've visited. I'm not sure what bit rate your demos are at, but it appears to be too much for the pipe your provider is giving you. Have you considered just having the audio and not having the video portion to showcase the client logo, etc? To be honest I find the spinning logos and the visual effects to be a bit distracting. They make your site look more slick, but I wonder if it draws the attention away from what is most important, you.

The second issue is just a matter of opinion and that's having your entire site in Flash. There are potential issues with SEO unless your designers have taken that into consideration and have coded it appropriately. Also does your site detect if someone has Flash and if they don't does it have an HTML version? If not I would make sure you do. You may even want to make an entry page that has an option to load the HTML version.

I like Flash when it is used sparingly. I am just not fond of sites that are 100% Flash even when they look nice like yours does. That's just my opinion. I bet there will be many others here that will disagree with me.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't bother saying anything about the swooshes that one hears as soon as the site loads, you clearly know what I think.

Nothing was slow loading here, everything came through very slick-ly.
I like having the screen for the full TV commercials—it is terrific to see the spot as well as hear it.

I love your sound, too— I am fully immersed in what you're telling me, not in the words or how you're saying them. It's a completely organic experience.

Here's the "However": I don't particularly like the screen and the rotating logos for the other spots. I find it distracting. I'd much rather just hear the spot and let the aural magic happen.

And I just saw this-- what the heck is with the title of the page?
"Doug Turkel—site Designed by Dave & Dave Incorporated at www.iammoreimportantthanmyclients.com"
I think that is incredibly tacky. The designer hogs more headline space than you?
Meh.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
I like having the screen for the full TV commercials—it is terrific to see the spot as well as hear it.

I love your sound, too— I am fully immersed in what you're telling me, not in the words or how you're saying them. It's a completely organic experience.

Here's the "However": I don't particularly like the screen and the rotating logos for the other spots. I find it distracting. I'd much rather just hear the spot and let the aural magic happen.

And I just saw this-- what the heck is with the title of the page?
"Doug Turkel—site Designed by Dave & Dave Incorporated at www.iammoreimportantthanmyclients.com"
I think that is incredibly tacky. The designer hogs more headline space than you?
Meh.

Doug,

I quite agree with Deirdre's points, especially the one regarding the page title. And Rich's comment about your site detecting the lack of flash and switching out to an HTML alternative is really important as well.

As for the demos, really well done. But, lose the rotating logos. After all, your site is selling you, not Buick, CNN, etc. A static image would get the point across (about the major league clients you've worked with) and wouldn't draw nearly as much attention to itself. Better, leave the logos out entirely. If someone doesn't recognize Buick, or CNN, or whomever when they hear it, seeing the logo isn't going to make much more of an impression.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have listened and responded so far. Lots of thought-provoking and meaningful stuff.

Rich -

Thanks for pointing out the slow loading issue. I've experienced it, but only on a couple of isolated occassions and I figured it was just an intermittent problem. It's helpful to know that it's more than that. As for not including the video for each demo, more on that in a moment.

SEO and Flash issues, very valid points. They were both (somewhat knowingly) sacrificed for the design choices, but the way you describe it has me rethinking that decision. Your landing page idea is a great one! Not being a "web guy," I don't always take all of the right things into account when I make those important decisions.

Dierdre -

My apologies again for the embedded sound. 'Nuff said.

And I'm glad you pointed out the problem with the page title. I hate it when I buy a car and the dealer sticks their logo all over it (in metal on the trunk lid, license plate frames, and these days, they're even putting stickers with their web address in the rear window!). I figure that once I buy the car from them, they don't deserve to get free advertising out of me too, y'know? I've always had them peel that stuff off before I take the car, and I'll be asking my designer to do the same thing.

Also, I appreciate the kind words re: the demos. I'm flattered.

Bob - (and Rich, and Dierdre)

I'm also glad that all three of you were distracted by the rotating logos (sort of). I'm beginning to think that that was one of those ideas that's good in theory, but doesn't translate so well. Here was my thinking going into it: I thought, why only let potential clients hear the impressive names like Coke, UPS and Buick for the short period of time that I'm actually speaking the words, when I could put the logo up for the duration of each clip and get more bang for my buck. In hindsight, though, I think your "distraction" point may win out.

All -

In place of the slick logo-motion, do you think having my own logo (at left) s-l-o-w-l-y moving a bit would be too distracting , or am I better off with a static image, if at all?

Anyone else who hasn't listened yet -

I'd love for you to check out the site and the demos and let me know what you think. The demos themselves are the easiest things for me to change (ProTools is the best!) and the hardest things for me to judge. It's really hard for me to get a good perspective on my own reads.

Thanks!
richgates

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug,

I see no problem with a logo displayed while you are voicing that particular spot, but I would make it static and it would best to use a nice clean logo on a background that constrasts nicely. I would avoid having anything that would distract a potential client from being able to hear your work the way it was intended to be heard.

Spinning logos or animation while a Voice Over is going would be fine if you were trying to showcase your video or animation production skillls, but when it comes to showcasing your voice talent, I believe your focus should be on that and that alone.

I'm in the process of redesigning my own site for that very reason. I want something that is clean and professional and easy to navigate. My current site having a blog included has made it too cluttered so I have completely separated it so if a potential client or agency visits my site they can get exactly what they need without delays or distraction.
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doug,

Kinda late to the party, here, but I listened with interest to your demo's -- looked at your website -- and drooled over your studio.

I, too, experienced the slightly halting download of your demo as I listened at work and at home...so maybe it's on the receiver's end, not the sender's.

I'm not a fan (like others here) of the rotating logo's, but didn't find them prohibitively annoying. Your call.

I am definitely not a fan of repetition, though, and I noticed the 2nd and 3rd elements of your commercial demo both started with the words "There's a..." (road) (Coke). Either switch the order or re-word? Also, the music on the Buick ad overwhelmed your voice a bit. I'd pot it down some.

Overall, very nice work, though.

Dave C
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to review my site and listen to the demos, your insights are very valuable. Your drooling, on the other hand, isn't. Just keep it away from the mic and the mixer, and we'll get along just fine.

As for the halting downloads, I think I've come up with a "2-for-1" solution to that problem, and the rotating logos , which everyone seems to agree are too distracting.

I'm pretty sure that the size of the Flash movie (which includes both my demo audio and the rotating logo animation) is what's causing the problems. I though that in its place, I could just have a quick animated version of my logo in the window. Less distracting than the parade of logos, and a much smaller file. Whaddya think?

Of course, any other suggestions for what to fill the window with during playback are welcome.

As for the 2nd and 3rd elements of my demo both starting with "There's a," that's exactly the kind of thing I would never notice (but wish that I had) even after having listened to my own demo far too many times. Thanks for catching it! Just another example of being too close to our own work to judge it properly.

And in terms of the music being a bit hot on the Buick spot, I didn't produce that one, so I don't have the original files to tinker with. I hear what you're talking about, but since that's how it was mixed, I think I'll either have to live with it the way it is, or remove it completely.

Anyone else care to critique the site? I've been getting really useful feedback, and it's greatly appreciated. Thanks to all!
KaraEdwards
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the site! My only negative was the same as the rest- the spinning logos. I do think it's a good idea to have them there- maybe stagnant. It's impressive- those are big name clients. I had to go back and listen to the demos though- I was kinda distracted watching the logos.

The demos saunded great to me- and the 'wooshes' weren't overwhelming in the beginning. I think the site is very clean and professional.

You obviously have great talent! I like your 'regular guy' approach. You do great acting without sounding like you are 'acting' - ya know?

Oh- and I loved having the entire commercials to watch- I hope to do that on my site soon- only with my spokesperson stuff.

Oh- and the studio??

...I need to get bigger clients... :(

Kara Edwards
http://www.karaedwards.com
kara@karaedwards.com
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found your website quite invigorating. Unlike the usual point & click to hear as are found on almost every VO site out there. The majority of your demos seem to have been for TV... therefor justifying the use of the videos. I would have a hard time trying to decide what course to take in changing the way the audio demos are presented including the Flash presentation. Remember... a client doesn't want to be entertained when they approach your website. They want to hear your voice... in a variety of presentations. Revolving icons add only to distraction.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try slowing down the rotating logos a bit - I think if they moved enough so that it was obvious it was't a still frame - but not so fast that your eyeballs flicker - I think that might solve the problem.

The commercial demo seems a tiny bit long to me.

The rest of the site looks good...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: