VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TelCo Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: TelCo Problem Reply with quote

Are there any TelCo guys here besides me? (Test desk in LA, early 80's) I'm stumped.

It has been raining here and I have a ground hum on my land line. OK, great. I went out to the network interface and plugged in my test phone... clean.

In the basement I traced the hum right to the first connecting block . It's the first break in the line into the house! SO I replaced the line from the network interface AND the first connecting block and GUESS WHAT?! The ground hum is still there.

I am completely WTF!

I don't want to call TelCo repair yet because the signal is clean at the outside interface.
Micazon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: phone line problem Reply with quote

DB,

Former telco branch manager from the late 80's & early 90's here. Moisture, particularly when raining has been known to mess with transmissions and lines, including static, humming, and other interference like clicks, too. Unfortunately, the only cure is to wait it out. After it stops raining and starts to dry out if you still have the trouble, then it'll be time to call for help. I don't know of any new gadgets, but ask them and see if one of the techs know help to avoid this in the future.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about putting a dehumidifier in the basement?
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't a basement problem.

I can only guess that the ground is present in the outside block PAST the network interface plug in. Doesn't look like that's the situation, but it must be. It just doesn't make any sense otherwise.

I'm going to bring an RJ11 jack and a piece of telephone line outside and make a secondary connection right at the network interface. That will tell me where the trouble is.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Took an RJ11 modular jack outside and connected it directly to the terminals next to the test jack.

YES, I disconnected the house wiring first!

Ground hum city.
I have called TelCo repair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: