VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's in a name?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmgood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: What's in a name? Reply with quote

Hello, folks. New to the board here. It's nice to see a community of VO people sharing ideas and information.

I'm trying to really get the ball rolling on marketing my talents.

I picked up a part time job at a radio station during the past year in addition to my real job. In an effort to not let my company know that I am doing this, I use a "radio name". This has led to the split personality feeling. You sign logs and timecards with your real name, but use the radio name on the air. And how do you introduce yourself to station staff or on the phone? A former PD of mine ending up being called Harry-Bob because of this...

In VO, do people use their real names? Does anyone use an alias? Do you then revert to your real name when signing agreements, tax forms, etc.? or do people actually do a legal name change?

Also, what are thoughts on web site domain names? Use your name dot com? Use a name that captures an image (e.g., best voice service dot com)? Marketing books seem to recommend a name that is catchy, easy to remember and type, and is indicative of the service you are providing.

If I'm going to duplicate a couple hundred CDs/business cards, I want to make sure what I print is what I will stick with for a long while.

Comments? thoughts?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the "stage name" situation.
Cooper isn't my real last name.
I go by DB Cooper, and people who know me call me "Deirdre".
It's a bit problematic if I receive a check made out to "DB Cooper" but, luckily for me, my bank is understanding.
(I don't have a DBA account because I'm a cheapskate.)

I like people to NOT have my phone number unless I give it to them. If they don't have my real last name, they won't be able to find my phone number on their own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: