VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And this is why we do not invest in OS's Johnny
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: And this is why we do not invest in OS's Johnny Reply with quote

Read Here

Apple 'to switch to Intel chips'

Intel chips may soon be introduced to Apple's Mac Mini
Apple is set to announce plans for phasing out IBM microprocessors in its computers in favour of those produced by Intel, according to a report.

Intel chips could be fitted to new computers such as the Mac Mini by the middle of 2006, CNET News.com reported.

Higher-spec Apple computers such as the Power Mac could be fitted with Intel chips by mid-2007, the technology website said.

An announcement by Apple was expected on Monday, CNET said.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for the luv of Java!

:lol:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean then that Apple would be a windows machine???
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that Apple will come down in price because of this?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Apple will not be a Windoze machine!! It willl be able to read anything a Windows program can put out, just like it does now.
2. The price is already low with the Mac Mini.
Whatever chips they use-- they're always the absolute top-of-the-line so I can't imagine a price drop.
Gp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear a Mac will still be a Mac. I was weened on the Mac platform and can't imagine it going away. I can breathe again!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gp wrote:
Does this mean then that Apple would be a windows machine???

I don't think so. Many people do not realize that the Mac OS X is actually a variant of Unix. The genius of Jobs is that the GUI is so very cool that it makes Unix fun and easy. And Unix was so much better than the Windows O/S for security, scalability and stability. So, even if an Intel CPU is used in a Mac, the Apple OS will still be what it is.

Of course, the OS will have to be "ported" to the Intel chip. And, that's what will drive the Apple software engineers crazy, not to mention the third party application developers and producers who make and sell the stuff we end-users use.

Sun Microsystems actually had (and may still have) a version of Solaris (the Sun O/S) that runs in Intel chips. However, Sun made a switch to AMD for CPU power. Solaris normally runs on SPARC, Sun's own CPU, that competed against Intel. However, to gain some competitive advantage for low end workstations and mid-range servers, Sun partnered with AMD for CPU power rather than give Intel more business, indirectly speaking. And, yes, Sun used some stuff from IBM, too. It's virtual incest.

:lol:

For the luv of Java, application programmers could write once and run on anything. That's what the Java paradigm is all about. It frees the application from dependence on the O/S. The grandest vision is that an end-user could buy or rent and application and run it on whatever hardware and O/S acquired. Everybody wins.

Java would free the world of dominance by the Windows O/S + application hegemony (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.). It would promote interoprability. The sun would rise, the rain would fall, flowers would grow, the birds would sing and we'd all sing "it's a wonderful world" as we skip down the virtual highway and live happily forever advancing anywhere, anytime, anybody connectivity.

My guess is that Apple is looking down the road and there finds increased CPU power/$ advantage. Intel's also got 64 bit CPU architecture in the works. I haven't kept up with that. But, that's where the R & D shootout was occurring between SPARC, AMD and Intel. SPARC beat Intel to production. But, AMD's already got it going on for low end workstations, aka the PC market.

My guess is that Apple has the CPU power/$, plus other architectural innovations in mind that will drive better hardware performance, and thus, cooler applcations. And, the Mac O/S will take advantage of that possiblity.

That's my$0.02. Back to work!

C
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what this really means ... Mac will need a good anti-virus package.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your hired!

Create the first and you could be rich beyond the dreams of Averess.

Oh, when you need a good VO person for your advertising - I am available...

Frank F
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL ... nothing but love for you, Frank, thanks for keeping it real!!
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
You know what this really means ... Mac will need a good anti-virus package.

Don't viruses attack vulnerabilities in the system software and not the CPU? If so, then us Macites should be relatively safe for a while yet.

It would appear that IBM's hit a speed bump with the PPC chip and hasn't been delivering on promises the develop a 3Ghz version. Also, with Microsoft going over to using PPC chips in the new XBox (Ironic huh?) Mac will become a smaller client for IBM and less of a priority for their R&D. Moving to Intel strikes me as being a sensible move....except for having that annoying Intel logo sound on all the Mac commercials!

Mike.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A computer virus and Jed the cow tipper are basically the same thing. Jed going to go after the closest cow he can tip with a clean exit so he gets away without being shot. Now if cows were operating systems, most would have a Windows brand on their hind quarters today, in three years many more may display a Mac branding (given a presumed hardware based cost reduction).
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=5662

Here's an article on how Game Developers are responding to the chip change.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sentence, from the article, is gigantic:
Quote:

This will be a huge win once we get the majority of users over to these systems, both in terms of developer expertise and end-user performance."

Now, that's positive thinking. $ome people u$e their machine$ for general purpose$. And, every general purpo$e application will need to be "upgraded." That $houldn't be a problem. Right! And, then, there are tho$e who u$e their machine$ for specific purpo$e$ who will have to upgrade their application$ too. That $houldn't be a problem.

It'$ ju$t like the O/S upgrade to Tiger for mu$ician$, producer'$ and VO talent$. who use Pro Tool$. The late$t upgrade to PT 6.9 doe$n't work with Tiger. And Mac u$er$ are up$et for good rea$on. Funny! Everything worked fine before the improvement. But rest assured, eventually PT will catch up (or is it Tiger?) and everything will work $moothly.

Confused

CC
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't upgrade anything on the machine that uses Pro Tools.

I'm still on 10.3.4.

It works. Pro Tools is happy.
I'm not changing ANYTHING.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: