VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silence Case for CPU?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Silence Case for CPU? Reply with quote

Hello all - has anyone tried using a Silence Case?

I'm thinking of getting one to stop the noise from my cpu and they seem reasonably priced.

http://www.silencecases.com/

Any feedback or experiences would be helpful.

Cheers

SG
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen this particular product before but the pricing seems a bit high to me...maybe I'm getting cheap in my old age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Peter, methinks that's a bit high for a simple plywood box and some plexy.

Spacegypsy, find yerself a local cabinet maker in the area...maybe Jersey...and takes yer demensions with ya and have him/her make you one. And if they want more than $250 to $300 tell 'em you prefer at least a little peck on the cheek when you're getting screwed.

I ran my own cabinet shop for ten years. A reasonable woodworker could make one of these with scraps and cut-offs.
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SG,

another option is to pick a different computer, which is what I did. For a little more money than the Silent Case you can buy a Shuttle XPC that has next to no fan noise due to the heat pipe construction. www.shuttle.com.

Best,

Bernard
SaVoa.org No. 09023
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audio'connell wrote:
I've not seen this particular product before but the pricing seems a bit high to me...maybe I'm getting cheap in my old age.

If you're not looking for studio equipment, it does seem a little costly, but it's really cheaper than most of the units in it's category .... based on the what I've seen anyway. Most of the nice silent wood cases start at $1000 and everyone seems to push the Raxxess boxes which apparently is very good, but again, they start out at $1000.

I think it's well worth it if you need the silence. One of my old coaches use to run cables through the wall and had his equipment in the closet of the a second room.

Kevin
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Silence Case for CPU? Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies, the box does contain a silent fan to keep the computer cool - it's not just plywood and screws! Smile

The silent computer looks interesting, though I just got this one, so it's not due a change yet. How much do they run please Bernard, and do they integrate with other hardware OK?

SG
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SG,

my Shuttle cost me a little less than $900, runs on WinXP AMD 2800+ 64 bit processor and has two SATA drives. It integrates well with Digidesign's ProTools on a very stripped down hardware profile (everything's turned off, sound card, wireless network etc.) to avoid interferrences.

Bernard
SaVoa.org No. 09023
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who have the time and inclinaation, here's some info that may assist in solving some computer noise problems:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10163_7-5670307-1.html?tag=archive
John M

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get an Antec Sonata. That's a real quiet case. The problem is cooling. You can't seal up a case unless you go liquid cool, and then you have a noisy pump you have to hide. With the Antec cases we use in our new builds, the loudest thing is usually the Optical drive.
Gp

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Silence Case Reply with quote

Just looking around at computers. Some of the new brand name computers e.g. Dell are near silent to begin with.

Gp
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Computer mufflers... Reply with quote

Forget about the super quiet... big money... new computer that you can't afford. And stay away from $500 bread boxes to stick your computer into. Simple problems demand simple solutions. Put the computer in the next room or in the bedroom closet. Do everything via extensions. That's why God created 10' extension cables. And that's why you don't have to climb a telephone pole to use the "land line". :wink:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: