VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-record Routine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tren Hester
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Pre-record Routine Reply with quote

Many performers and athletes have a mental or physical routine they do before singing the first note, hitting a golf ball, etc.

Anyone here use a mental checklist or perform a vocal warm-up before hitting "record"?

Details/tips/techniques wanted!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cup o' tea, d00d.
billelder

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...with scotch.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-- you incorrigible beastie.

Scotch is for AFTER, unless your character needs to scream.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when do I do the Irsih Coffee? That's an "apres" VO, is it not?

Heavy on the Irish...

I tend to read the copy to myself and get a feeling of who IS speaking, and who the copy is speaking to. Take a few deep breaths, close my eyes and say a little ditty, and "shoot from the hip".

Frank F
johnbailey
Contributor II

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I can't carry a tune, I find that singing my lungs out is a nice warmup. Especially down 'n' dirty rock 'n' roll or R&B, like Mitch Ryder, Robert Plant or Otis Redding.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Warm Up Reply with quote

I LOVE Connie's warm up exercises, and take them with me to every session to use while I'm waiting. THANKS CONNIE!
http://www.voiceover-talent.com/VoiceoverExercises.htm#Top
chezdan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Inhale slowly and deeply through the nose. Exhale slowly through the mouth. Repeat.
2. Inhale slowly and deeply through the nose. Exhale slowly making the sound "ahhhh". USE YOUR DIAPHRAGM
3. Inhale deeply. Exhale in short explosive bursts (huh! huh! huh! huh!).
4. Inhale slowly and count aloud clearly enunciating each number until you run out of breath. This is also a good warm-up exercise for your articulators.
5. Read the following sentence as many times as you can on one breath. This sentence is filled with words that use air.

He hid at home and sobbed when his sister seized
whatever he had on top in the thin five-shelved closet.

Don't practice this in a public bathroom stall before your next audition.
TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Deep Voice Warmup Reply with quote

I wasn't going to post this, but I figure there may be some others with the same condition I have .... morning voice so deep it vibrates the bed. Good for married life, bad for vo work. I got in the habbit of doing one particular exercise that gets me into my recording voice (and frame of mind) much quicker.

So, my deep voice warmup is basically (stepping to the mic) controlled vocal chord flapping - controlling your voice so it clicks while slowly speeding up and slowing down for about two minutes. Click here for the dirty example. It's nothing special, but you'll hear what I can't really describe and it may come in useful for those of you who have deep voices that take 30 min to 2 hours to warmup!! This gets it done in 5 minutes.

Apparently there's a use for some of this stuff, it's not every day that you get a call for it. NASA hired me to do nothing more than 20 seconds of this for some project they had going on. They ended up isolating five vocal flaps for whatever it was they were using it for.

Hope this helps!
Bob Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: I like the morning voice Reply with quote

New to the forum but interested.
See, I prefer the morining voice. When I was a smoker and more of a drinker, I do do pretty great VO's almost any time of the day. Since I don't smoke at all or drink (as much) any more I find the best time is the first few hours in the morning. I wish I could reproduce that vocal scenario on-demand anytime. I've tried lots of things but can't land on a consistant solution.

Here comes the good stuff..
Bob Taylor Voice Productions
www.cedgeonline.com/voiceover/samples
voiceover@adelphia.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wish I could reproduce that vocal scenario on-demand anytime. I've tried lots of things but can't land on a consistant solution.

Just take a nice nap every three hours :wink:
Bob Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea...right up my alley.

Here comes the good stuff..
Bob Taylor Voice Productions
www.cedgeonline.com/voiceover/samples
voiceover@adelphia.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dmgood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Pre-record Routine Reply with quote

My cousin's wife is a professional singer/vocal coach. I asked her how I could bring back my "morning voice" on demand in the afternoon/evening. Her take on it was that the "resonant sounds" were the result of fluids that had not yet cleared -- and she does exercises in the shower every morning to rid her voice of them! That must be the difference between wanting to sing clearly and wanting to speak with character.

I've wondered... if you cut an audition in the morning, got the job as a result of it and the session was scheduled in the afternoon and the client says - 'but I wanted that thick, gravelly sound you did on your audition' - what do you do?
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't wake up until an hour before the session. Laugh
johnbailey
Contributor II

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember once having to do a one-line pickup in the afternoon for a spot that was originally recorded in the morning. The engineer and I tried and tried and tried, but could not get the voice to match. The producer finally shrugged and figured we must have used a different mic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: