VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-Union negotiation techniques

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Paul
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Non-Union negotiation techniques Reply with quote

A production company approached with an opportunity: $200 for a 2-minute non-broadcast video narration.

My reply was simple: I offered a "supporting statement" (e.g. "glad both you and the buyer like me for this--you're in good company..." followed by a link to a related narration I did for a well-known brand.

Following that, I asked a 'flanking standard probe' (question): "How flexible is your budget on this one? $200 for 2 minutes is over 50% below my standard/market rates." Flanking standard probes start with Who, What, When, How, Where... but never Why. (In general, "Why" questions sound accusatory to your buyer.)

Figuring there was no room and I'd have to turn down the job, the reply back surprised me: budget approved for $350. I can live with that. Smile

On principle I'd have turned it down for $200 and maybe that makes me a fool (that's a lot of ramen and coffee! Wink), but I'm holding the line on sustainable rates whenever I can. I'm hoping this inspires others to take chances and keep rates sustainable.

If you're interested, Jerry Vass wrote a great book that's moved the needle for me: Soft Selling in a Hard World. If you've read it and applied the knowledge, I'd love to hear your success stories... or if you have another resources that's served you well in the negotiation arena, that's welcome too.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
keep rates sustainable

Good for you, Mike.
My take on these things is 'the rate's the rate!'
Unless they can guarantee me (SOW, contract) that there's more work to come, I'll tell them my rate and often times they'll meet me somewhere both sides can be happy with but it's rarely something crazy low.
I had a long time client come with new BUT DIFFERENT work and the rate was significantly more than what they had been paying but once I explained why the rate was higher they just kind of said,' okay.'
Keep up the rate fight. More people like you, me and others the better off everyone will be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: