VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cratchit, You're Late!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Cratchit, You're Late!!!!! Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

Just did a VO gig today and was, for the first time ever, LATE!!! 8 cars lined the highway from a fender bender of an epic size. Anyway, I was locked in traffic for over 40 minutes...only to arrive to the session 15 minutes late with the engineer and three ad execs waiting....ahhhhh!!!! I called ahead and let them know I was stuck, which seemed to help some. The session went really really well otherwise.

Again, I am never late for sessions and make it a point to be early so I can go over scripts etc. However, the question:

What do you do/have you done if you arrive late at a session... other than apologize, move on and feel like an idiot? Thought it may be an interesting topic to raise. Any thoughts?

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You answered your own question... apologize a lot and get the session done lickety split...

Calling ahead helps (ahhh, the magic of technology - and cell phones) - everyone understands that you cannot do anything about others... expecially in traffic situations these days.

FF
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was UBER late for an interview with agent in NYC last night. It took over TWO HOURS to get through traffic when it normally takes a little over an hour. The crazy part is that there was no construction, no bad weather, and no accidents. The roads were just packed. To make things worse, there was a political rally in Hoboken and I had to deal with motorcades! Only a politician would think it's a good idea to hold a rally in downtown Hoboken during rush hour...

Anyway, about 30 minutes before I was scheduled to see the agent I knew I was hosed so I called the studio and said I was stuck in traffic and I'd get there as soon as I can. That's all you can do. That and don't rush in all sweaty & apologetic when you get to the studio . Just smile and get to work! If they know you're late, apologize & move on. If they don't, keep yer yap shut.

The good news was that she was seeing talent in ten-minute increments and the studio kept the line moving so she didn't notice. She was a big agent and I did very well so it all worked out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What others have said.

I was late to an audition last month due to an 8-car fender bender pile-up too. Mine was the first car and the only one that did not hit anybody.

What is it with these 8-car VO delays anyway? Is this the newest fashion?

Glad your session went well.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:

What is it with these 8-car VO delays anyway? Is this the newest fashion?

Glad your session went well.

Must be Mary Laugh I guess we are on the cusp of VO fashion by setting the bar at 8 cars???

I'm glad you are okay Mary and sorry about your misfortune. Hope you get the gig though! Well at the very least I can say wasn't apart of the accident....yikes, that would have made this day really bad.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "few" times I've been late I usually tell them I'll read faster to make up for the time. They laugh, raise an eyebrow, and then we go on.

I've also done a lot of 2-man spots over the years with the fellow who used to co-own the theatre with me, and he was always so late they totally forgot that I had been late. Hell, he FORGOT a number of sessions and had to be called and reminded from the studio. Hell, one time he FORGOT, went on some errands and forgot his cell phone. We ended up re-writing the spot for just me, "Well my partner's out buying a new Isuzu, and let me tell you why!"

Sheez,

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
The "few" times I've been late I usually tell them I'll read faster to make up for the time. They laugh, raise an eyebrow, and then we go on.

That is a good one Bruce. Hopefully I never have to but .... I may use that one in "time of need" in the future.

bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

Bruce,

For sure, this is one worth keeping in the back pocket, just in case.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: