VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

scammers gonna scam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: scammers gonna scam Reply with quote

Just got my first ever job offer via text. It's for a voice actor playing a game show host. Some days I hate my phone.

I replied with "I'm no rocket scientist, but I'd say that sounds a bit fishy"

I wonder if they'll bother to reply back at this point.

BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew - I know what you're talking about; I've seen this exact same scam show up via Production Hub and in my email.

Looks like they're trying another angle but are still too stupid to realize that folks remember their MO. The "I'm no rocket scientist" line in their "script" gives it away. Wink
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it was a text, they didn't even have the chance to send me the script or details. The "tell" was in the awkward and unique phrasing "commercial game host show advert project." 5+ years and they still haven't bothered to change that word order. (Kudos to Dave Courvoisier for having the text of the scam up on his website. When my spidey senses started tingling I was able to check to see if that was indeed the exact wording)

It was fun to get to fire the "I'm no rocket scientist" line at them preemptively though Laugh

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the trend toward texting these days there’s nothing like an email with information that helps you verify if the person and company are legit.

Now if they ask you to audition with a series of sneezes I’d jump on that with both nostrils wide open! Those folks are serious.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foog wrote:

It was fun to get to fire the "I'm no rocket scientist" line at them preemptively though

Just my opinion, but I think this is a bad idea. I believe the most appropriate response to any scammers, whether they approach you by email, text, or phone call, is to ignore them. Replying in any fashion, even to let them know you are on to them, just confirms that there's a live body at the other end of the line and probably means they will never remove you from their mailing/calling/texting list.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Lee here. I can have as much fun as anyone with a telemarketer whose call I mistakenly answer... but the whole email and text thing is best left ignored. There is no upside. They know exactly what they're doing... they know that they're easily detectable by someone with a normal quota of functioning brain cells. Their pitch is calculated and aimed specifically at the hard-of-thinking who'll get suckered in beyond the initial exchange... so, to them, it's actually worthwhile to have it easily detectable at first contact.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't do it anymore, but when i had time on my hands, i would go through relevant bits of dialogue from a "dukes of hazard" episode with my scammer friend. "boss hogg is blackmailing my cousin daisy ..." --- that sort of thing.

it amused me, if nothing else.

Foog
DC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have been ill advised, but I couldn't resist.

Funnily enough, I am much more circumspect with telephone scammers and just hang up. I have heard tale of angry phone scammers using software to call a target's phone hundreds or even thousands of times in succession all while cycling through different numbers so they can't be blocked. Not worth it.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want some vicarious fun watching someone else play with scammers, track down YouTube videos of James Veitch. He toys with them mercilessly.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: