VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has noise ever interrupted a directed session?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Has noise ever interrupted a directed session? Reply with quote

It can depend on several factors, but has landscaping or other noise ever interrupted (briefly or for a prolonged period) a live, directed session... or called a complete halt to one?

I ask because, after playing Russian Roulette for too many years and finally telling clients I could no longer guarantee directed sessions would not be interrupted, I am considering buying a booth. (Why only now? It's a long story.) However, I cannot afford a completely soundproof enclosure, so my choices are limited to those which will simply not keep all outside noise outside. So... even with a booth, has anyone had a live, directed session interrupted and, if so, how did you handle it?

Please feel free to reply privately, if you prefer.

(Edited to clarify: live, directed session.)

Last edited by Mike Harrison on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe Egan posts regularly on how the gardeners at the neighboring church are "blowing for Jesus again", bringing her work to a stop. I have a similar situation here with the church gardeners across the small dale between us using blowers fitted with World War II surplus fighter plane engines. If I'm recording I just have to stop and switch to editing or cruising the Internet for half an hour. The gardeners at our condo group are not quite so noisy, but noisy enough to have to quit for a while.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when my nextdoor neighbor fires up his cessna denali turbo prop ZTR - it's all over. i might as well mow too.

Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies thus far but, I'm sorry, I should've been more clear: has noise ever interrupted or brought to a halt a live, directed session?

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Covid session in my home studio was, of course, on gardener day. Thank God I invested in a truly sound proof booth. I heard nothing with the door closed.

At the end of the session, my spouse comes running in. "OMG, I am SOOO sorry!!! Did that mess up your session?" I asked, "The gardeners? No, couldn't hear a thing with the door of the booth closed." "NO! Not the gardener! I accidentally set off the burglar alarm!"

....I heard nada. The moral of the story: Invest in a great recording space! And if you want to rob me, wait until a vo session!! Wink
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what if I want to rob you of the booth, Bob?

I don't want to alarm you, but I just ordered some black-and-white striped shirts from Amazon.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:
But what if I want to rob you of the booth, Bob?.

You can’t handle the booth! Seriously, each panel weighs a ton! If I e er sell this house, the booth stays.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to buy a booth last year, but my ceilings are only 7' and the Whisper rooms are 6' 11" so there couldn't even be a carpet isolating it from the floor.

So I had a room-within-a-room custom-built for about the same cost, with a rubber floor and the whole shebang. Thing is, my house itself is acoustically transparent, so even though the panels we made are massively thick with shingles and MDF et cetera, the train (crossing is about 200 meters away) is still audible. Those long-as-heck sound waves just invite themselves in for tea.

All the higher frequencies are completely blocked, tho'. Once I get the interior design settled, I'll post pictures. 😊
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware if Jack starts ordering black hats. All the baddies have them.

Not much you can do about the train, Deebs. Just pour some tea for yourself and wait, I guess.

My cat (a lady of a certain age and deafness level) has learned to screech at a volume and pitch that pierces my best attempts at sound damping. She often has to be locked out of the entire room.

www.karynobryant.com
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we're socked in with low clouds the airport changes it's flight path really close to our home and the big jets make a deep roar and rumble. There have been a couple of sessions over the years where we had to take a pause for that particular cause....usually just a minute or two. Thankfully it's not common.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, I used to record narrations to accompany educational film strips (I told you it was many years ago). The client's studio was in the attic of an old, non-air-conditioned, Victorian house that was located directly beneath the flight path of runway 6 at Bradley International Airport, about five miles away as the crow (and the low flying jetliner) flies. But that's not all. It was also less than half a mile from Ensign Bickford's manufacturing and test facility. They make high explosives. When it got hot in the attic, we recorded with the windows open. Between the planes and the bombs, it could get a little noisy.
I worked for another client whose animation studio was also in the flight path of runway 6, but they were just 2000 feet from the end of the runway.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had to pause for helicopters and trash trucks. Briefly. Luck has played into this I am sure.

But the other day, I was doing a Source-Connect test with a new (to me) "studio" and his 7-week old new baby girl was the noise in the background!

Mom had just ducked into the shower for a few minutes.

The next day, there was no interruptions on either end of the line.
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - but rarely and I just go with it, tell them what is up and it has never been an issue. I imagine it is less of one now that so many people have been putting up with a lot of noise in the house around them as they work

When my kids were really little I was on the phone with a client and I kept one step ahead of the kids by continuing to walk up the front stairs, through the house, down the backstairs, through the house, etc. It was a time when I didn't tell people that my studio was in my home because a) it was generally frowned upon that I didn't go into a studio and b) working at home with kids underfoot didn't make me look too professional. Basically, being a woman had me feeling like I had to show a different face to clients. Well on this day I did so many laps he finally asked me why I was out of breath. Just as I came clean his 10yo came bursting into his home office asking a question. We laughed it all off and worked together many times after that.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: