VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone ever try the Soyuz Launcher?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Anyone ever try the Soyuz Launcher? Reply with quote

The Soyuz Launcher just went on sale

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjnx7WwkI_tAhVK5bMKHelGATEYABABGgJxbg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD2oPfW3dY2f9g6EPSWGP6Ky7rXAI8D0xkwQuD7FqGeb23zSWGEosNFrkL6MvR-k5ho74GI-t945nSgWN-9zf1d&sig=AOD64_0yv2EwCFzN_wtZP29XLAKiDpGpAA&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwj93aqwkI_tAhXtY98KHTugBugQ0Qx6BAgmEAE&dct=1

I got to try this little thing out for a bit at NAMM 2020 and found it quite impressive- Never liked the Cloudlifter too much and this thing seems to add some nice analog warmth to the audio chain- has anyone tried it? I would like to make my sennheiser 416 a bit warmer if possible..

Thanks!

-Ian
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the 416 in the microwave... That'll warm it up.

The Soyuz is touchy and finicky when push comes to shove. It is not a "set-it-and-forget-it" device. Each time you use it you will need to reset it by unplugging it a couple of times. Not extremely stable - in my humble opinion.

Sound wise it is O.K.

Although I personally do not own one or use them (416's) anymore; for studio use the Maag Audio PreQ4 with Airband works wonders on shotguns.

The only time I would use a 416 is for location audio on a fishpole. Even then I would prefer the Schopes for a fuller sound and better overall presence. But, people do enjoy the sound of a 416 for some reason.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Frank F Thank you!

What about with the Shure SM7b which I think it was designed for? Any thoughts on that? Looking into the Maag Audio PreQ4 with Airband right now...

-I
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to "warm up" a 416? The reason it's the choice of most promo and trailer people is that is cuts and is immensely "present." If you warm it up it'll diminish those qualities.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound of a microphone; is like diamonds; judged by the 3 C's: Color, Cut, and Clarity.

A 416's sound is shaped (or Cut) to be present in the upper mid's which are the frequencies which are most prevalent in the human voice.

Adding depth or Color is how the sound reaches the ears with a pleasant bass/treble range which makes the "sound" easier on the ears and is most acceptable as the "body" of the microphone.

Combining the two previous items and putting focus on how the diaphragm or pressure gradient device handles the spectrum, how the gain of the mic is created, and how it sounds when processed with other sounds in the real world is Clarity.

Every microphone has it's own characteristics, even when they are the same brand and style. There is no one microphone which fits every VO's voice. Each one, like our voices, is unique.

The 416 has two of the above, you choose your poison. Do you have a diamond in the rough or a stick to hold the door open.

Soyuz with SM7B: I have not tried this combination, so I have no comment. Remember the SM7B needs a lot of gain to be acceptable.

F2

Edit: If you are really thinking of the Maag Audio PreQ4 give them a call and talk specifics. Tell Cliff And Ryan I said "Hi"!
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both! Very illuminating.

So... for those pharmaceutical commercials, the 416 ain't really the tool for the job-- is that a fair thing to say? I'd be better off with an LCDM?

Just trying to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying. Thank you Jack and Frank!

-I
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately this comes down to religion. The 416 tends to polarize people in the same way (I'm sure) carpenters will argue about brands of saws or hammers (yes... I know that's a simplistic argument). Over a dozen or more years I have collected an assortment of dynamic, LDC, and shotgun mics. The 416 is my go-to, and in a blind shootout, experienced ears failed to identify any difference between the 416 and an array of (quality) LDC mics. On the other hand, stick a Shure SM7b or a Heil PR40 into the mix and they stand out like a sore thumb. I also believe that there's no "sweetening" I can't do with a plug-in and, (again, being simplistic) my aim is to get as clean and faithful a recording as possible... outboard gear commits you... and it can be difficult to undo (also producers hate you futzing with your audio). Obviously, this is all from a non-producer's point of view... but I am far happier since I stopped chasing minuscule differences and just concentrated on technique. The only time I'll swap mics is if I have an audiobook... there are many wise people who say that the 416 isn't the right hammer for that job because it can be fatiguing for the listener. Ultimately, I don't think the question is whether something is better or worse... it's whether it's noticeably better or worse.
TL:DR - Fix it in post.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth noting that the 416 was designed for news gathering and conversation dialog on movie and tv sets. That's why as Frank said it's midrange is its outstanding quality. Only until promo VOs found out that working closer to it that it has the capability of cutting through all the music and soundscape for trailers and promos. So I kept in mind when I got my 415. You can shape it a bit with eq or a good pre but it is what it is. Not raking it... just the facts mam as Jack Webb would say.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, both of you.

As most carpenters, brain surgeons, mechanics, etc. would say: "Use the right tool for the job".

Personally, I do not prefer a shotgun for much, "...but I did not say I didn't know how to use one". (Quigley Down Under - Matthew Quigley)

For MY voice I have certain microphones which I find emphasize the strengths of my sound, not that I have that many, Others, not so much. I probably would not put a female, soprano, breathy, whisper voice on a U-47 - but it has been done.

There is not an "industry standard" microphone as there is not a standard editing system or computer. There are a few which tend to rise to top as does cream, but not one person I know edits exactly as I do or has my specific needs/requirements.

When I offer advice on mic's I also add advice on pre's and usually some processing techniques. I first listen closely (I can't do that anymore) to the person and previous works, then a few wise/uneducated choices on what may or may not work are suggested. Finally, it is time to demo the microphones and find which will or will not work for a specific project. I use this same concept when recording vocalists. So far, it works for me.

What works for you, probably does not work for someone else. Find the right tool for the right project, and further do not try to do brain surgery with a welder.

Digital plug-ins as Bish said, tend to limit one as to what can be done - and oftentimes sound sterile or 2D. Outbaord equipment are for those who are mastering and are doing FIP (Fix It in Post). But I do use some outboard gear, as noted, the Maag Audio PreQ4 and EQ4 with a 500 series lunchbox. Why? They work for me in providing a smooth, high quality audio, without adding artifacts into the mix. If you are looking for grunge or skaa, then look somewhere else.

(Disclaimer: I do not work for or earn money from Maag Audio, I just like their products and their people.)

O.K., enough preaching to the choir. I will move on.

F2
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thanks everybody!!

-Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: